coastal bedroom desk & writing space

Working on our bedroom at the beach has been so much fun for me~

probably because we have put off switching things around in our bedroom at home.  I’m living vicariously through myself.

huh?

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

To the right of the bed, there’s a desk that is original to the room…it actually belonged to the former country music singer, Charlie Rich, which is pretty cool when you stop and think about it.  He actually owned the unit before my grandparents, and I can’t help but wonder if there was any grammy winning song writing going on at that chrome and wood desk.

We kept the piece, along with the bamboo chair, and designed a little writing space for me.  I can’t wait to escape down there by myself or with Matt and spend some time putting pen to paper.

Here was the little corner a few weeks ago, lacking personality and well, room to write!

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

After spending the week there, we were able to get it all organized and updated.

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

I wanted to fill the wall with objects that inspire me…if I choose to sit in here away from the noise (and the view), I want to be inspired!  The frames came from Target’s Threshold line (still in love!) and I filled it with a shot I took in Argostoli, Greece, last year, and of course, my babes.

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

As you probably have pegged, I’m all about adding books into any space.  While the room is clean and bright, this colorful corner energizes me and makes me want to come up with something to say! I stuck to the palette of sand and sea but threw in pops of coral for fun.  Just seeing that happy stack of books makes me smile!

While I didn’t dislike the vintage lamp, enough chrome already for one spot.  I stuck with a simple glass base and linen shade from target so that it all but disappeared.

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

That little print was the result of about 4 1/2 minutes, some watercolors, and watercolor paper time with my daughter.  Wall art. Done.

I brought some starfish down from our shop, and picked up the sea green coral sculpture from a local boutique.

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

The bamboo chair came home with me a while ago, and I gave it 3 coats of Krylon’s Emerald Green in Gloss.  And hey, do you see that?  I missed the underneath of the arm work…and will I go back and fix it?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

#reallife

coastal bedroom desk & writing space | perfectly imperfect

The happy zig-zag pillow came from our shop, and that’s that.  One writing/dreaming/pen to paper corner complete.

I’m hoping beyond all hope that I get to use this little space, and create something truly wonderful here.

We’ll add it to the list of hope I keep tucked away for any old day.

Find more posts about decorating on a budget at the beach:

Beach House Decorating Project

Coastal Design Inspiration

Coastal Designs Meets Hollywood Regency

Swimming at Sunset & Freshly Painted Walls

Coastal Bedroom Updates

, , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to coastal bedroom desk & writing space

1. Julie @ Living on the Ledge July 16, 2013 at 9:48 am #

I love this. I am finding so much inspiration on your blog for my new home. I just love how your style is so fresh and bright, with the perfect pops of color. So much love for that emerald chair!

• perfectlyimperfect July 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Thank you, Julie! That is such a kind thing to say…made my day! ;-)

2. Amy@TheBlissfulBee July 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Obsessing over that kelly green chair! And that desk! Ok… I think I’m obsessing over ALL of it:) Sooo pretty!

xo, amy

3. Debbie refresh restyle July 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Love it! The chrome and green are a great mix!
    Debbie

4. Tiffini July 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

ok love…and you went to greece?
    i swear i am going when grace graduates. i want to take a pilgrimage
    and just tour all over…and write and lay in the sun
    sounds so dreamy…is it?
    xo

• perfectlyimperfect July 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Thank you, sweetie! Yep…went on a Mediterranean Cruise last year, and it was just magical! :-)

5. caroline [the diy nurse] July 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Absolute perfection. That chair and desk make me swoon!!! I’d hurt someone for that chair.

watch out
    ;)

6. Kelly Reber July 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I worship that desk!!!!! Love your talent at design. So inspiring.

• perfectlyimperfect July 17, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Thanks, Kelly! I appreciate that–just doing what we love…even when it looks like a tornado ripped through it, I still love being “at home!”

7. Lisa July 17, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Beautiful job, I love it! That chair made my heart skip a beat! Love you!

8. Janet July 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

That is so peaceful. Even I could write there and I am not even a writer ! I think Charlie called and wants his bedroom back. Ha. I love following your blog and you have given me such inspiration in my own little (not quite) beach cottage. See you in October!

9. Ashley July 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

I love the Green chair. I have two that look like it. They belonged to my grandmother and I so want to paint them! I am now thinking something BOLD! Oh, and where did you find a seat cushion to fit? I have been searching, and could sew one…I just don’t want to. LOL!

10. Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor July 20, 2013 at 9:01 am #

I absolutely love this. That’s such a beautiful desk and the emerald green was such a great color choice. I love how fresh and crisp, yet relaxed it looks. Thanks so much for sharing:)

11. Marsha July 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

What a lovely transformation! I love the colors.

12. Melissa July 22, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Where did you purchase the desk? LOVE it!!!

13. Sarah M. Dorsey July 22, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Gorgeous! Love the emerald with the chrome!! :)

14. postsfromkaty July 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

This is one the best bedrooms ever. The wide window and fluffy bed give it such a relaxed feel. Plus, the study in the corner is so delightful. The tabletop accessories on the study table are interesting and one of a kind. To put together a space just like this, take a look at stuff available at countrychicdecor

15. Elegant Ground Water Features July 28, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

The green wicker chair is just plain gorgeous! I’d love to have one to go with my white desk :) I’m in the process of redecorating my room and so far, I’ve got my eye on a couple of kisch tabletop water features and this fabulous chair!

16. Edith April 24, 2014 at 5:59 am #

Love……everything! I happen to have a bamboo chair just like yours! Love to know where you found that cushion??

• perfectlyimperfect April 24, 2014 at 7:15 am #

Hey Edith, It came on the seat when I found it! Maybe you could have one made pretty cheaply by a local seamstress? :-)