some living room updates

Walking around the house last week I realized I haven’t shown you much of our house lately.

Hardly at all, really.

We’ve been in shop mode, but we’re also in a “finishing things up” phase around here.

Matt and I are notorious almost finishers.  We work crazy hard, knock out the scary hard projects, and then we are sick of it for a while.  We lay Ava’s floor and install board and batten on the entire room, and we’re sort of done for a while.  Yes, the accessorizing is my favorite part, but again, life and all the moments get in the way of a quickly finished makeover.

We’re fine with that–it’s just our way.

So, now, we have been making our final lists of projects we’d like to complete this year.  There was a time when I thought we might be building again someday, and we might, but I’m ready to have our home as complete as possible.

It’s not that I don’t love the changes we’ve made in the last few years to make our home more like us, but like I’ve mentioned before, I’ve really identified my style and am ready to have the little details all tied up.  Wall art, coffee table styling, major furniture pieces, and a few rooms being painted…it’s time for those things to be finished.

Sure, we’ll switch things up sometimes, but the more I do it, the more I realize how much I love living in our home, not necessarily always working on it.  Does that make sense?

living room updates | perfectly imperfect

The living room looked like this for quite a while, minus the left wall over there.  It’s always been the wall of rotating art for some reason.  The space is mostly done…painted, drapes, accessories, etc. are all done.  I was ready for some really comfortable chairs last year, and in the fall we made our first new furniture purchase since we’ve been married.

living room updates | perfectly imperfect

We bought two of these beautifully casual elegant chairs from a local furniture store to go on the left side of the living room.  We needed some height variation in here as well…all the furniture was the same height & it felt, well, flat.

The chairs are sooo comfortable and give us the extra seating we needed.

living room updates | perfectly imperfect

We picked up the little table on sale at World Market, too.  I had been eyeing that collection for a while and I was thrilled to catch the little table on sale.  And the kids love the little hideaway tabletop.  Ava has officially dubbed it her work space.

living room updates | perfectly imperfect

Our rug was swapped out last spring after we sold our previous one at the yard sale.  Mom and dad gave it to us several years ago…it is a Ballard Designs braided jute.  The coffee table is different, too.

We picked it up at a Joss and Main sale, and I’m already realizing we need a table with more storage, so out to the shop it will go.  The pillows and canvas I brought home from our shop.

I adored the canvas and subtle coloring all throughout, and the pillows pair perfectly with it.

The basketball goal came from Toys R Us.

living room updates | perfectly imperfect

If you follow us on Facebook and Instagram, you know I bought a couch that might find its way home to me when it comes in.  We’re not trying to finish the living room updates in one weekend, but I’ll post our progress all along.

In addition to purchasing some new pieces that work a little better for us, we’ll be:

• buying a larger, washable rug (our Dash & Albert shipment is on its way to the shop!)
  • building/buying a larger, 2 surfaced coffee table
  • selling the entertainment center & replacing it with a smaller sideboard and fun DIY project involving the TV
  • looking for one more accent table
  • picking up a couple of new pillows for the new sofa?
  • possibly replacing the sideboard (it would be way too large if we keep the new sofa)

So, that’s that.  We’ll finish up the final details in our most used space in our home…and I’m so looking forward to it and to sharing it with you guys!

Hope you have an inspired start to your week!

, , ,

40 Responses to some living room updates

1. AnnaRuth T Murphy February 18, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Hi! I love it!…. Where did you find that amazing painting? Did I miss that source?

• perfectlyimperfect February 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks! yep, it and the pillows came from our own shop! :-)

• Anna-Ruth Murphy February 19, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I feel a road trip coming on….unless of course you want to open a satellite store in South Florida :)!

2. Molly February 18, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Love the chairs! What furniture store did you get them from? Thanks!!

3. Laurie February 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Can I ask where you purchased your canvas? We’ve been on the hunt for something similar for over our fireplace. It is simple and elegant and would bring in our love for the ocean.

• perfectlyimperfect February 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Sure, Laurie! We bought it from ourselves at our shop! :-D We carry similar art, and order it wholesale in other sizes too. Let us know if you want us to check into anything for ya! :-)

• Laurie February 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

I’d love it if you could e-mail me a couple of pics of paintings/prints you have (with the price) that are ocean related and large (at least 36″ wide). I especially love the simplicity of the one you have in your living room. You have great taste!

4. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home February 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Loving all of the updates!! Especially those chairs! They’re are gorgeous!

5. DebZorn February 18, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

The chairs are great. The pillows and the canvas are the perfect compliment. Thank you for sharing, again :)

6. Gina February 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

I wish I lived closer…I want to visit your shop!! That painting is gorgeous! Love all the changes…beautiful.

7. Katherine @ Grass Stains February 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

LOVE those chairs! And I need some height variation in my den. My leather chairs are basically the same height as my sectional, and it’s boring. I need to be on the lookout for some taller-backed chairs. Your living room is beautiful!

• perfectlyimperfect February 19, 2013 at 9:21 am #

thanks, girl! it made a huge difference to my eye…love them. Hope you’re doing great! :-)

8. Kim February 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Love it! Are you thinking a Dash and Albert indoor/outdoor rug (you said washable)? Reason I ask is I’m thinking of using one under our dining/kitchen table because our heathered jute one that I LOVE the look of from Pottery Barn is NOT toddler friendly :) Plus it sheds something fierce so I’m thinking a Dash and Albert indoor/outdoor rug. But wonder if they feel ok or feel too plastic-y? I haven’t seen one in person.

Look forward to the rest of the finishing touches – I know what you mean about getting a room to its end point so you can enjoy and live life!

9. Jeni@RestoringPiece February 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Shaunna,
    I’d love some info about the pillows. Do you have any available? Price?
    Thanks!
    Jeni

10. baileywife February 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

I LOVE that white sideboard you have behind your current sofa. Too bad you couldn’t use THAT for your TV stand! Is it too long? And completely love the new items you’ve added so far! LOVE your style, as always! ~ Kim

11. Jerri C. February 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I want to purchase that canvas & two pillows…… I am inquiring. I absolutely love how subtle it is with a pop of color on both canvas & pillows.

12. Tiffini February 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

so we are twinsies….lol!
    i have so many almost finished projects around the house and it
    is comforting to know it isn’t just because i don’t have a “man”!

you are in kinda the same mindset i am in. this is the first time in all my life
    i want things tied up. i DO get that you want to live in your home not just work in it.

i think when you start a business it just makes it way easier. at least that is what i
    am thinking. love those chairs though. i have been looking for two for our living room but
    i am not wanting to spend TO much…xo

13. Ruth in NZ February 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

What I LOVE is that you didn’t feel the need to remove the basketball hoop for the photo. I love that beuatiful places can still be beautiful when we live in them. Or at least..we don’t have to remove all traces of actual people and life to make them beautiful. Now, having said that, I WOULD like to remove the shoes, clothes, books, and random game pieces which are strewn around my living room at the moment. But I take heart in the knowledge, with your little guys around, you probably did that step too before the photo :). Thank you once again for keeping it real.

14. Erin February 18, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

Do you know what the fabric from those pillows is called? Love the, and the red trim!
    Erincyoung (at) yahoo.com

15. Angie Meyer February 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

I LOVE IT ALL! One of my favorite things is that canvas. I have a “thing” for pretty nautical art. :) And, I don’t know where I’ve been…….because I’ve missed out on many of your posts and hadn’t seen your shop yet. It’s AMAZING! Wish I lived closer so I could come in and “ooh” & “aah” in person. :) It’s so much of what I wish for in my home. I’ll definitely look forward to seeing your online shop. Thanks for sharing……… and inspiring! :)

16. Margaret February 18, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

I also love the picture. Would be very interested in one like it.DO you sell online?

17. Melissa from the Blue House February 18, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

What a pretty, peaceful room!

18. Terry February 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Do you know if that cute little side table is still available at World Market?

19. Kirsty February 19, 2013 at 4:11 am #

I love your style! The paisley print inspired cushions are beautiful and add a lovely finishing touch to an already stunning room!

20. Kris February 19, 2013 at 10:06 am #

The room is so lovely I actually had to go back and look for the basketball goal! Everything is beautiful.

21. Marian February 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

I hear you on the “wanting to be done and just live in the house” thing. I am so there. I changed so many things last year and I am ready to be finished for a while. I am so happy that you are getting to the end and can let that part of your mind rest for a while. There is something exciting, yet draining about working on your own house.
    Marian

22. Carolyn February 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Beautiful room! I love the touches of red.

23. Julie February 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

LOVE the chairs! Can you please let me know the manufacturer?

• perfectlyimperfect February 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Hey Julie!
      I’m not sure….I’ll sure see if I can find out, though! :-)

• Nicole February 23, 2013 at 7:06 am #

I would love to know who makes the chairs also! So fun!!! I’m so glad I discovered your blog this morning.

• Julie February 23, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Thanks so much. I would really appreciate it.

• Molly April 19, 2013 at 6:51 am #

Oh yes, love those chairs! Any luck on name of manufacturer?

24. Sammy February 20, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

The colors are so soothing. I really like them!

25. Gina February 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

I second that! Have been looking for comfortable smallish chairs for my living room for awhile now that are similiar in style so would love to know the manufacturer too.

26. tara March 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

I absolutely love those chairs, and I’m wondering if you could give the name brand?

Also, I totally relate to your words about not always wanting to “work” on your living space. I always think there’s no way I could be a DIY blogger because we just don’t enjoy changing things up that much. An occasional mix up or project is about all we can handle. :)

Your space is beautiful.

I’m not sure if anyone else has told you this, but I haven’t been to your blog recently bc for months, when I would come, it would take a very long time to load. I love all of your posts….and it didn’t seem to take as long tonight. Have you heard this before? I know Edie from lifeingrace had similar problems, and she somehow worked out the kinks.

• perfectlyimperfect March 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I have…thank you so much for telling me, girl! We think it’s related to having our shop attached to the blog. Soon changing…so we’ll see if that helps! :-)

27. Recreate and Decorate March 12, 2013 at 4:07 am #

I know what you mean about loving living in your home but not working on it! Sometimes you just got to have a break!
    I love the picture and the pillows, very nice!