chalk paint pumpkins

The last time you saw our entry, it was in full blown summer mode, and looked like this…

summer decorating in the entry

Well, the other day, I got the hankering (yes, I did say hankering) to switch things up a bit.  I’ve been feeling quite crafty lately, and hopefully that will stick around to give me plenty of inspiration for the holidays.

Here’s what it looks like today…

fall decorating ideas in the entry using chalk paint

It’s kind of like the mantel, simply fall with natural elements and textures.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint

I started with a few funkins and several small pumpkins that I found on sale at the grocery store.  I am known to paint pumpkins every year, so this year I couldn’t wait to try out Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint on them!

simple fall crafts using chalk paint

I was craving neutrals and a little color, so I broke out my purdy brushes and went to town.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint

You guys know the deal…I didn’t have to do any kind of prep work or priming, so I just painted to my hearts content.  I was dying to try the new chalk paint colors and I chose to use Pure White on a couple of pumpkins and French Linen on another two.  I LOVE these new colors.

I’m soooo excited about a project I have coming up that involves all three of the new colors I got…more on that soon.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint

I only put on one coat on the real pumpkins…no point in spending way too much time on something that won’t stick around forever.  The darker blue is Aubusson (and I love that color!) and the one in the back?  I wanted to try something a little different.

I let Ava paint the base coat of that metallic blue craft paint, and when she was done (only after biting a chunk out of it), I dry brushed some duck egg blue on top.  It left this beautiful mercury quality…I see myself trying this again.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint

To throw in some fall tones and metallics, I gold leafed a pear and painted one of the pumpkins with craft paint….a brown with some gold dry brushed on the top half.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint & fall decorating

I bought this wicker-like pumpkin from Target (on sale) a while back…and I’ve been looking at that thing for a couple of years now.

It was time, my friends.  I needed that pumpkin.

That pedestal came from Pottery Barn–I bought it on clearance a couple of years ago.

easy decorating ideas with vintage items

The vintage French crate you see usually sits on top of our Byholma toy basket in the living room, holding books and photo albums.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint & fall decorating

I turned it up vertically to give some height to the arrangement and to balance the asymmetrical arrangement of my sunburst mirrors.

I’ve had the book bundle lying around, and used a block of reclaimed wood to raise the jar of wheat stalks.  I wanted something else above those books, so I broke out my faux zinc letter and simply taped it up.

simple fall crafts using chalk paint & fall decorating

You know I love all things typography, and this crate’s type and color are perfect.  I just walk by and look at it.  And I love that little strip of teal on the book bundle.

switch up your home decor with simple pillow changes

Lastly, I switched out our throw pillows for a fall inspired palette.  I found the gray velvet at Ikea a few weeks ago when I was in Atlanta, and the gold metal I scooped up at Pier One.

I’m such a throw pillow junkie.

That’s that…..have you used Chalk Paint for any of your fall crafts yet?  I’m in for a BUSY week ahead so I may not break out the brush this week, but I can’t wait to tackle something else.

Be seeing you soon, friends.

45 Responses to chalk paint pumpkins

1. Myra @ My Blessed Life October 7, 2011 at 7:08 am #

LOVE the painted pumpkins. Seriously, now I feel the need to paint some myself. LOL! :) Love how your foyer looks! xo

2. adventuresindinner October 7, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Very cosy, one of the reasons why fall is such a terrific time.

3. Stephanie October 7, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Hi Shauna, Your pumpkins look great and I love the dresser in the top picture! I have a question for you. Do you think by mixing duck egg and graphite chalk paint I could get close to the blue on your dresser? I have old white, graphite, and clear wax, but the paint is so expensive I want to be choosy about which other color I buy! I do want to get some dark wax next time as well. Have a great day!

4. Katie @ Wildwood Creek October 7, 2011 at 7:21 am #

Love your fall vignette and the colorful pumpkins!

5. Jessica @nucheysmommy October 7, 2011 at 7:31 am #

I knew I shouldn’t openned my reader! I’m suppose to be cleaning my bathrooms & doing laundry now I am inspired to paint some pumpkins! I gotta get some of that chalk paint! I love your new fall display & the blue is my favorite on your pumpkins :) Have a great weekend!

6. Miss Kitty October 7, 2011 at 7:37 am #

Just beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing how you achieved that wonderful look!

7. Debra@CommonGround October 7, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Love your take on Fall with the blue pumpkins! That entry dresser is fabulous! xo

8. Deb October 7, 2011 at 8:35 am #

I must try this! Darling pumpkins and beautiful staging!

9. Alison of The Modern Cottage Company October 7, 2011 at 8:38 am #

I love the painted pumpkins, I think I will try that! What a lovely entry you have.

10. Meliss @ Shabby LOCO October 7, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Soo—-o stinkin’ cute and easy to do. Thanks for sharing =)
    Now, to just find the perfect spot to do this….Thanks!!
    ~Mel

11. Michelle Silva October 7, 2011 at 9:42 am #

Love the whole color palette- gorgeous!

12. Stacy October 7, 2011 at 10:25 am #

I am sooo going to get some pumpkins to paint today!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

13. Jordan October 7, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Shaunna, that is simply gorgeous! I yearn, yyyyyeeeeaaaarrrrrnnnnnnn, for something like this in my home! Love it!

14. Revi October 7, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Clever girl! I love your styling, your mix of non-traditional fall colors and your experimental paint treatments!
    -Revi

15. Zolane October 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Hmmmm…now I’m inspired to go to the grocery store tonight! My hubby’s always a little nervous when he sees the paint brushes come out – this won’t be bad at all! May I ask where you buy your chalk paint, please?

16. dee kasberger October 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

ok this is too awesome – can you come just come over to my house for a little while and do your thing??
    xoxo
    Dee

17. Sarah - Dodeline Design October 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

What a fun idea! I love pumpkins…have two sitting on my counter right now. Never thought of painting them though, thanks for the inspiration!

18. Mona Kay at Blissfuly Refurbished October 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Wow, those are gorgeous!! I just love the mercury one!!

19. Cottage Coastal Store, Inc ~ Kim October 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Very cool…love it!

20. Renee October 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

Looks awesome! I didn’t think about using chalk paint on pumpkins…got to try it. I really like the metallic look, too.

21. Michelle October 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

As one who hates carving pumpkins, I enjoy painting them. I hadn’t thought about using the Chalk paint though, I will be trying Duck Egg Blue!

22. Shellie October 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Oh my gosh I just found your site! Amazing, I can’t wait to buy your book because I’ve started painting and experimenting with my own furniture! I’m your new follower!

23. Danielle Driscoll October 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

Love this! The pumpkins are beautiful and a great twist on a theme. I don’t love ‘orange’ so this is great inspiration. Beautiful.

24. Erin @ Two Story Cottage October 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Oh, I say hankering all the time. :) Love your sweet pumpkins! Gorgeous display.

25. Gwen@theboldabode October 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Ikea, Ikea, Ikea… My darlin just brought home some wall lights and red circley/polka dotty shelf brackets from his trip to A-town. I was missing it the whole time he was gone… I mean missing him. Yeah. Him…

26. nadine October 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

Love your blog AND I LOVE THE mercury pumpkin !!!!!
    I own the Duck Egg Blue. I read your instructions:”I let Ava paint the base coat of that metallic blue craft paint, and when she was done (only after biting a chunk out of it), I dry brushed some duck egg blue on top. It left this beautiful mercury quality…I see myself trying this again.”
    Could you tell me the name of the paint you used? I would love to paint some of these. Also when you painted the small pumpkin brown and dry brushed gold. Was that just acrylic paint, dry brushed on or a special type? ALLRIGHT…….. enough questions :)
    THEY ARE FABULOUS

27. Beth October 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Love those blue pumpkins. Too cute!

28. Catie October 10, 2011 at 8:40 am #

Gorgeous Shaunna! It looks lovely. =)

29. shannon October 10, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Oh wow! I’m loving your blue and metallic pumpkins. I found your blog via Pinterest and I’m your newest follower. Thanks for the inspiration :)

30. Rachael October 10, 2011 at 11:51 am #

I love the painted pumpkins. I want to try decoupaging them.

31. Janae October 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

LOVE the fallified entry! Not sure which pumpkin is my favorite….the aubusson blue or metallic blue. FAB color scheme!

32. Megan October 13, 2011 at 6:07 am #

Love the colors you came up with. I’ve never used the chalk paint that everyone is raving about. I am so going to get some now. Loving your dresser and that color, wow!

I got a message from you this morning through twitter that there was a bad post on me somewhere. I’m curious as to were and who posted it?

Megan

33. Necie October 13, 2011 at 7:27 am #

I have missed several of your posts due to computer problems. So glad to see you spotlighting the magical Annie Sloan Chalk Paint! Its so much fun and easy! We have a retail space, sell chalk paint, furniture we have painted and hold workshops. We have been working to get some pumpkins in as part of our display but had to discipline ourselves to complete some pieces of furniture first. So now we are “‘chomping at the bit” to get started. Thanks for the inspiration. Have fun on The Nate Show! Can’t wait to see it. We would be so flattered if you would check us out.

34. Denise Cox October 13, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Love the pumpkins! Can’t wait to start on ours later today! We are looking forward to seeing you on The Nate Show.

35. Lisa @ A Room with A View October 14, 2011 at 10:29 am #

These look fabulous..I love that each one is different and collectively they have so much interest. Thank you for sharing!

36. knack October 19, 2011 at 7:04 am #

love it all! especially the colors you chose for your pumpkins…great palette!

xo,
    Barb

37. Chalk Paint Ideas Lady October 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Didn’t occur to me to paint them blue! They look really unique.

38. Malena Davis November 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

I do not have an Annie Sloan retailer close by. How do I get this?

39. Lisa Kear November 30, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I fell in love w/ white pumpkins this year. I used my cricut to make a fluer de les (sp?) and put it on my white pumpkin. A friend got real crafty paiting pumpkins so I exchanged 3 dozen eggs (I raise chickens in my back yard)for 3 painted pumpkins!!

40. jennifer September 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

so thrilled to have stumbled upon this post…what a great idea for both Halloween and Thanksgiving this year

41. Kelly @ JAX does design September 20, 2012 at 8:19 am #

I was thinking about chalk painting some pumpkins myself – you beat me to it! :-) Love the metallic blue one, the finish is really cool :- ) And your fall vignette looks beautiful!

42. The Summer Kitchen Girls September 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

THOSE….are just the cutest pumpkins we’ve seen yet!!

43. Meli October 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Hi Shaunna!, I am head over heels with your blog (found it during a sleepless night of beautiful blog searching *_^) and I’ve pinned your gorgeous ideas and shared them on my FB page!. Your style is so lovely and fresh, it is contagious ^_^

Thanks for the inspiration!

XoX, Meli
    ♥—————-♥ MUDDY HEART POTTERY ♥—————-♥
    Porcelain Jewelry + Home + Garden + Gifts
    FB: muddy heart
    T: muddyheartnc

44. Christina Leigh Events October 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

LOVE THIS POST! What an awesome way to decorate pumpkins! I was able to take one of your images and create an event inspiration board from it! I hope you enjoy my post as much as I have yours!

xo Christina

45. Lisa {grey luster girl} September 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I loved looking at your gorgeous pics and soaking up the fall feelings they evoked! Beautiful job!