Chalk paint cost & why i use it

You guys know I LOVE Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

annie sloan chalk paint

I think you know why, but I want to be sure you do.  I’m not really into anything “just because.”  I’m sort of a purposeful, all or nothing kind a gal.

I wanted to break down the costs a little…chalk paint vs. latex costs, plus, I wanted to talk to you in more depth about why I am choosing to (mostly) use it.

Let’s talk moo-la.

Okay, we’re going to break down the cost of chalk paint vs. latex in dollar amount first.  This is going to be a random, explanation-behind-my-brain kind of post (hello–I’m a creative), not simply one tidy list.

best tips for using chalk paint.  see all the chalk paint colors.  get chalk paint ideas for your painted furniture.  how to paint furniture with chalk paint.

For this, let’s consider we’re painting one medium sized dresser/chest…one kind of like my entry dresser.  For both supply lists, I’m working with sanding blocks and no electric sander (I realize some of you have these, but we’re hoping that if we’re re-painting a piece there’s no reason for serious electric sanding…if so, let’s strip that sucker and be done with it.)  :-)

Supply List for Latex Paint Projects:

• 2 Sanding Blocks (one fine and one medium)  $3.97 each
  • Gallon of Latex Paint $27.97-32.98 per gallon
  • 2 cans Spray Kilz (this eliminates the step for major sanding and brushing on primer) $5.48 each (if you just never purchase this, a gallon of Kilz Latex primer is $16.77)
  • Deglosser (if there is a shiny topcoat or if legs and curves need roughing) $5.48
  • Top Coat (both Minwax Paste Finishing Wax & Wipe On Poly are close to $10 each)
  • cloths (again, some of you might have some old ones…but we’re approaching this as if we don’t have anything in our garage) $2.09
  • one Purdy (because that’s what i use) XL Cub $12.27
Grand Total:  $73.26-78.74 (excluding tax)
I realize that you will use any leftover primer or paint on your next project, but here’s the thing I know….a lot of times specific colors will sit in the garage for a while…I know I paint all the time, and ours really does form some permanent hang out spots while waiting for us to reach for it again.  With white and neutrals, this is a little different…we tend to use and reuse those lighter colors quite quickly.

Supply List for Chalk Paint Projects:

• 1 quart chalk paint $34.95
  • Purdy XL Cub $12.27
  • 1 Sanding Block $3.97
  • rags $2.09
  • Wax $4.99-24.95
Grand Total: $78.23 (excluding tax/shipping–does include Annie Sloan Soft Wax at $24.95)

Crazy, right?

Now, I know, I know.  I’m not done.  There’s some issues we’re going to work through.  I’ve worked through them with my frugal husband…and I get it.

Let’s talk about coverage first.  A gallon of paint covers around 400 square feet and a quart of chalk paint covers around 150 square feet.  When Matt and I first talked about buying some chalk paint, we had a little talk with ourselves.

We decided that most of our gallons of paint (bought for furniture projects) sat in the garage for a while.  For a long while.  I didn’t always need a bright turquoise or a gray-white….and so back to the store we’d go.

So, for us the square foot coverage was no big thing…we knew we’d use it on everything we’d need and it would sit in our garage like everything else.  I will say just for those worried about how much it covers:  I don’t order it all the time.  Really.  I find that I always have more than I think I will at the end of a project.  I fully believe this is because the paint is not mixed with black pigment (minus Graphite)–this means a higher quality of paint and richer pigment….which means it covers like crazy!

For us, the case was closed on that issue after we used our first 1/4 of a can on a huge table (coating it twice).

Let’s talk top coat…you definitely need one with chalk paint, and really with latex if you’d like to keep the finish very long.

If you love the idea of chalk paint, and really want to save some money…then go for a cheaper wax.  I will tell you that Annie’s wax was created to work with the chalk paint, and I find that I can create exactly the kind of finish I want with it.  As you can see from the pic above, I don’t have Annie’s dark wax (I’m hoping I’ll get some soon), and I like this one from Fiddes & Sons…but I LOVE her clear soft wax.

I mostly love a more matte to lustrous finish, rather than glossy…however, I wanted a shiny lacquer-like finish on my barstools (pic above), and by buffing more, I achieved more sheen.  That’s the beauty of furniture wax–you have more options.

I’ll definitely still use a poly or a varathane, but I mostly use those on dining table tops (I used Varathane on our dining table).

Once I established that we were talking about the same initial costs, it was time to weigh time vs. (some) money.  Let’s talk about the time factor…

Y’all know the drill…no prep.  Straight to the fun stuff.  That’s not to say you’ll never have a piece that needs some sanding…but the only reason I sand before using chalk paint is to smooth a rough edge on a corner, etc.  We’re talking a minute of sanding versus (sometimes) an hour or more.

Over 200 pages of tips, techniques, & inspiration for painted furniture.  how to paint furniture ebook.  painted furniture tutorials.  how to paint and distress furniture.

The image above is from my ebook…there are many tips and tricks on creating beautiful finishes with latex paint.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I still firmly believe that those finishes can be created with latex or oil-based paint.  I know I’ll use it again.  I also know that chalk paint is simply easier to apply for me and for the beginner.

This was my first attempt at chalk painting.  I just slapped that stuff on…really testing the “no brush strokes” claim.

And there it is…our newly finished coffee table (that had layers and layers of furniture varnish on it…still beautiful, by the way).

The lighter colors like old and pure white have a little more texture to them…they’re a little thicker.  Because of that, you might notice more texture or “strokes.”  But…for me, chalk paint creates a look (even if there’s more brush strokes in the whites) that feels natural and artistic.  The more saturated colors have more pigment and are a little thinner.  If Old or Pure White feels too thick, simply add a little water to it.

*By the way…my photos of each chalk painted piece have only been retouched for sharpness and color accuracy.  What you see is whatcha get on the brush strokes (or lack thereof).  :-)

More reasons why we took the chalk paint plunge:

• It dries SUPER fast–I love completing a piece in start to finish in one afternoon with no worry that the paint will adhere properly.
  • Eco-friendly–plus, it’s totally safe to use around our kids.
  • Cleans up with water
  • Cleans out of our brushes WAY easier, extending their “life” a lot longer
  • Comes in gorgeous, original colors (that mix to so many more…and the pigment, hence quality, never dilutes)
  • Distresses beautifully–it was just made to use on furniture.
  • Adheres to any surface–see our chalk paint pumpkins below.

More than anything else, you know from my ebook, Creating Your Masterpiece, I believe painting furniture should be fun and a relaxing, creative process.  For me, chalk paint supports that experience most…and it’s awesome for beginners too!

There you have it in a nutshell, folks.  Why I’m in loooove with chalk paint.

For more info on where you can find a local stockist, visit here.

I featured several gorgeous chalk painted pieces yesterday, and here’s a few more of my favorites from around the www.

Louis Blue & Old White Buffet from Miss Mustard Seed (be sure to check out all of Marian’s Chalk Paint posts!)

Paris Grey/Old White Chest of Drawers from Centsational Girl

Layered Chalk Paint Hutch from Savvy Southern Style

Paris Grey Vanity from Hueology

Provence Buffet from Shizzle Design

Coco & Old White Hutch from The Shabbiest Chick

Okay, these are mine, but I do love the chalk paint pumpkins!

I hope this forever settles your mind on the chalk paint debate–there’s not one.  GO FOR IT and have fun with it!

Feel free to leave any questions in the comments or leave us some links to your projects!

**Disclaimer:  The opinions in this post are 100% mine.  I was not sponsored or compensated in any way…I just love this stuff and want to share this info with you.  I am not a certified Annie Sloan Stockist, and I highly encourage you to attend one of their awesome workshops–I’m going one day too!  Visit AnnieSloanUnfolded for more info!

*linking this post to:

Tip Junkie, Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello, Sunday Showcase @ Under The Table & Dreaming, Tips & Tutes @ HomeStoriesA2Z, Show & Share Day at Just A Girl

, , ,

128 Responses to Chalk paint cost & why i use it

1. Shannon November 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

I have a question about wax. Where can you find wax and what brands are out there? I looked in my local store, but didnt see any wax. I haven’t used wax yet and am kind of unsure about it.

2. Bella November 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Wow excellent post! And thank you for the breakdown with pricing. I was already sold on its ease of application, clean up etc but the price comparison just sealed the deal for me. Thanks again.

3. Tanya from Dans le Townhouse November 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Great post – I’ve been curious about chalk paint and this provided a ton of info. Thanks for being so in depth!

4. Julia @ 551 East Design November 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

I really appreciate this post! I have a question though. I know the colors mix really well, but do you feel that you can get a good variety of colors? And if you need to color correct it is it easy to get back to the original color?

5. Jessica@nucheysmommy November 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Ironic you just posted this post! I just posted my first “painting furniture” experience using ASCP & I mentioned you in the post :)
    http://nucheysmommy.blogspot.com/2011/11/target-night-table-transformed-with.html. Now don’t laugh!!!! :)

6. Kim November 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Amen, amen and amen. I love this paint. So easy and fast and the paint goes forever and ever. Thanks so much for sharing my hutch again.

7. Dawn November 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

I just painted my first piece of furniture with chalk paint and I will never use anything else. I did a small table and a corner hutch. I couldn’t believe how nicely it went on, there was no odour, my brushes cleaned up so nicely, it didn’t spatter all over the place (I can be a bit messy) and the results are amazing.

I live in Canada so it was hard to find. There are only two places in Canada that are presently carrying it, one in Vancouver about 4,000 kilometers away but the other shop was conveniently located 2 1/2 hours from my home in Ottawa. I am fortunate to have a supportive husband who was happy to take a lovely fall drive with me to buy the paint. I bought three different colours and both waxes and couldn’t be happier. He is now walking around the house suggesting I paint everything.

I did watch your video and Miss Mustard Seeds on painting and waxing before I started and these were a big help. I highly recommend this paint and will be driving back soon to get more colours. Thanks for introducing me to it.

• Dorothy November 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Hi Dawn, if you don’t mind me asking, which store in Ottawa carries the chalk paint? I live in Montreal QC. Have been ordering it from a lovely lady named Elizabeth. She has a store called The Melon Patch in Bath, Ontario.
      There was a bit of a learning curve in using the paint. Now I want to use it on everything. I supply a couple of boutiques here in Montreal, with my furniture. Unfortunately, I can’t give them all of my stuff that is painted with chalk paint. They want different finishes too. Darn, I just can’t stop with the chalk paint though. Stuff is amazing.

• Linda March 31, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Hi, a store in Montreal carries Annie Sloan paint..

Piorra Maison Inc
        Dans le Village Pointe-Claire
        274 Bord du lac (Lakeshore), Pointe-Claire, Qc, H7M 2VS
        514.694.7979

• Suzanne May 21, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Here’s the list of suppliers from the Annie Sloan website:

8. Sarah - Dodeline Design November 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Great post! I will definitely be coming back to this next time I am doing a furniture project!

9. tammy November 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

i love ascp too! great post

10. Jen November 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

One of these days I do hope to use it, simply for the difference in texture. And I LOVE everything you put your hand too; you are gifted beyond comprehension. So I say this with lots of admiration and with every kindness: This is not a fair comparison when you are comparing a GALLON of latex to a QUART of chalk paint. You CAN purchase a quart of latex (with primer, no less), in which case it’s about $15 and it doesn’t rot in your garage forcing you to purchase more. And there’s no extra cost for primer, b/c it’s already in it. My most recent paint project was a small dresser in Valspar w/ primer. I used barely a quarter of the can, even though I did two coats. So it was about $4 in paint and one block. There are plenty of other excellent assets belonging to chalk paint and you could sell a ton of it based solely on how well you do justice those assets.

• perfectlyimperfect November 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Hey Jen,
      Thanks for your feedback. I definitely wasn’t trying to compare a gallon to a quart…simply talking about square feet coverage and initial costs. I certainly didn’t mean that latex would rot in your garage. I did mention several times throughout that I still use latex paint. I simply wanted to break the price vs. time vs. fun stuff you could do with chalk paint to make the price factor a little less mysterious. Hope you guys can see that throughout the post. Btw, I think all paint (including latex and chalk paint) is awesome! :-)

• Harley & Jen March 18, 2012 at 12:26 am #

We have been painting furniture for the last four years in our business I too used only Valspar without the primer…Annie Solan’s Calk paint is the only paint we know use and indorse. It covers more area than a gallon of Valspar – without the past furniture prep work before…the real change is with colored alcohol based stains used in cherry and maghogney finishes…in the past we have had to sand it bare then use 2 – coats of primer, then 2 -3 coats of paint to kill the bleed through before we lacqured….all of this is gone from our shop. It has cut our cost and our time in half AND made our business grow.

11. Danielle Driscoll November 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Thank you so much for this very informative post. My husband and I are currently doing the chalk paint debate you discussed. I actually blogged about it this morning: http://findingsilverpennies.blogspot.com/2011/11/seagull-gray-walls-and-chalk-painted.html

I’d never heard about it until I started reading your blog, but it sounds great. Just wish there were more stockist here in Massachussetts. Thanks and hope you and your little ones are feeling better!

• Jessica@nucheysmommy November 5, 2011 at 6:12 am #

Hey Danielle, this is strange replying to a comment on Shaunna’s blog but I see the reply option which is really cool! I was just reading the wax tips from Shaunna & other commentors & noticed you were looking for stockist in Mass. I am in MASS & so happy to have found a blogger in my neck of the woods! I drove to Bristol RI a couple weeks back & visited the cutest shop, SeaCoastCottage (she has a blog) on the water & who sells ASCP. (I recently posted my first little piece I used chalk paint on)She has a new shop just openned to the public & has workshops where you can go & paint for free! She is really nice 2! Anyway, nice to meet you !

• Danielle Driscoll November 5, 2011 at 6:50 am #

Thanks, Jessica! I think we’re going to check it out at some point. Make a day trip to Bristol with our boys. Your little table looks so sweet. So glad to hear your in MA, too. So fun connecting with so many different people through the blogs!

• Nancy November 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks Shaunna for this great post about ASCP and Jessica for the nice words about my shop! Danielle hope to see you soon in Bristol!

12. Alathia November 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Great post! I really like the ASCP, too. I did one project on my own and took a class with my local stockist, where we did several projects. The paint dries so quickly, which is especially nice if your crafty time is limited. The smell. There is no smell, I can paint inside, which is really nice during pollen season in Alabama. I also love the soft wax. I had thrown out different can of wax, because I just couldn’t figure out how to use it, it was so hard. (I’m 100% sure it was user error.) The soft wax goes on so easily.
    Personally, based on the how quickly I can complete a project (and sometimes literally slap on the paint) the cost of the cost ASCP is worth it.

13. Anneke @ RustChic November 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

I have a difficult time being able to spray at our location and love, love, LOVE ASCP! It doesn’t meet all needs, but it’s downright awesome. Thanks for the post!

14. Harbormom November 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Okay, you convinced me! I bought your e-book the day it was ‘published,’ and I have been reading (and looking at the pics) about the ASCP forever. Googled stockists to find there is one in Pelham, AL, 25 minutes from my house (and not *that* terribly far from you!). Their November 12 class was full up, but I’ve signed up for the December class. You should join us! Wish I could have gotten into the November class, because I want to take paint and go nuts at my teeny-tiny beach house over Thanksgiving. Oh well…will have to wait for Christmas, I guess… I do love reading about you, your family, and all you do.

15. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles November 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

I just finished my first tiny project using ASCP. I redid a picture frame in pure white, then glazed and used polycrylic to topcoat. I know, I’m supposed to use wax, but I used what I had. I didn’t like the polycrylic- too shiny, so I ended up going back over it with the chalk paint. I love the chalky finish! http://plumdoodles.com/?p=133
    A couple of questions: How durable is the paint without a topcoat of anything? Also, is it my monitor or does the paris gray have a hint of blue in it? What would be a good combination to get a nice grey-blue?

• perfectlyimperfect November 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

Hey Sheila! Awesome! You definitely need at least one coat of wax…trained stockists would probably tell you two…so yes, coat that thing! But, if you don’t buff your wax coat, it won’t shine…it’ll just have a low luster. Perfectly chalky. :-) And Paris Grey is a beautiful grey-blue…for mixing to the perfect color, I’d definitely ask a stockist. Still learning. :-)

16. Tara November 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Great post – thanks! I’ve been very intrigued by ASCP. Still not confident in my skills to try it, but you sure are helping me get a little closer.

17. Shelly Andrade November 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Hi Shaunna!

Thanx again for showing off my Provence dresser! I was originally going to paint it in Old White and second guessed the brightness of the blue, thinking the color would limit potential buyers. Boy was I wrong on THAT one!

THE day we started moving our things into Not So Shabby, people were going crazy over it. Everyone was asking what color it was. Cathy and I were literally crawling around on our knees all covered in dust. I had an old drill in one hand and a screw between my teeth when I looked up at a young gal trying to work her way through our mess. She told her mom “I think that will match my comforter!” She came back with it later and apparently it was a perfect match – sold!

thanx again, Shelly

18. Shawn November 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Thanks for this post! Been considering using chalk paint on a few pieces, was uncertain about trying something new. You’ll sold me! I’m going to bite the bullet and give it a try.

19. Debra @ Bungalow November 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

What an informative post! I have yet to use AS paint and I really want to get going on a project. Guess it’s about time I do! Thanks for the inspiration.

20. Robin November 4, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

Thanks for this information Shaunna! I bought a kitchen table around 7 years ago to paint and I still haven’t. Now I know I will definitely use ASCP! This would be my first piece to paint. I have no idea however what color to paint it. Can I send you a photo of my kitchen so you can give my your opinion? Thanks!
    Robin

21. David November 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

Hi! First I just want to say thanks for all the times you specifically mention guys and gals as your readers, it’s nice to be included lol. Second I have a question about ASCP/wax for tops of things. I’ve done several projects with it so far, all of which I sell at a consignment store. Several of them have come back with the tops all scratched up. I’ve used J&J wax and even tried a double coat of wipe on poly , either way it seems they were getting scratched just from vases sliding on top. Am I doing something wrong or is this why you prefer wood finish tops?

• perfectlyimperfect November 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

You’re welcome, David. :-) To your question…I would say that the wax may be too thick, and to try Annie’s soft clear wax. It applies much thinner, and dries much harder…it’s totally different to work with than others I’ve used. The only top I had to scratch was my coffee table…it was my first waxed piece and I even refer to it in one of my videos. I applied (a different brand of) wax too thickly, and it was still a little tacky when I moved it in. It took weeks for the wax to settle all the way into the paint, hence there were a few scratches. BUT…only a few. The more you push your wax into your paint, the better it will coat, and the harder your top coat will be. Wipe excess off immediately…then wait until there’s NO tackiness to buff your piece. If your cloth,etc. shows resistance, leave it alone until it glides smoothly across. Btw, chalk paint is designed to be used with wax only (no poly), specifically Annie’s. I would give that a go…plus, I’ve found it is the easiest to work with. Hope that helps some! :-)

22. laurie November 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

WONDERFUL post and tips, Shaunna! I agree with you 100%, and just adore ASCP. I’ll never go back to regular paint again for my projects inside. Love the colors. Love the texture. Love the ease of application. Love the look! :)

xoxo laurie

23. Kim November 5, 2011 at 12:22 am #

Great points! I love it, too!

24. Rhonda November 5, 2011 at 8:03 am #

This is such a great post – I had a hard time justifying the cost of chalk paint to my hubby too!

25. Kacey @ Shes.No.Martha November 5, 2011 at 8:09 am #

I deffo want to try this paint! I just can’t decide on a color….
    I really want something in the white/gray hue. Something very versatile.
    I love the linen-greigy look of your one pumpkins so maybe I can start with that!
    If you have any suggestions on color, I’d love to hear them!

• perfectlyimperfect November 5, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Hey Kacey! That color is the new French Linen….BEAUTIFUL! One of my favs. ;-) Go for it! :-)

26. Lana November 5, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Thank you for the information. I just took a class with this paint and can’t wait to use it on my fireplace and ugly orange oak built in wall unit.
    I love the little to no prep, that is always the worst part of any project.

27. Cheryl H. November 5, 2011 at 8:43 am #

Thanks for posting this Shaunna! I did get 3 qts. of Annie Sloan Chalk paint, {Old Ochre, Graphite and the white one, can’t remember the name off hand} as well as the light and dark waxes. I didn’t purchase the wax brush and am having trouble getting the wax on thin enough. Any suggestions besides having to purchase another expensive brush that I can only use for wax application? Seems I buff and buff trying to get the wax texture knocked down and not be tacky. Other than that, I love the colors! Thanks!

28. Lauren November 5, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Thank you for this post! I’ve been debating about chalk paint for months now, and still haven’t come to any conclusions, which means that there are projects lining up in my home :) It makes so much sense, though, the way you broke it down, that I won’t be spending that much more if I just go for it. A new stockist opened up about 2 hours from me, so I really have no excuse now; just waiting for a right time in the budget! Thanks for taking the time to write all of this up; you said it very well.

29. Connie Nikiforoff Designs November 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I LOVE your price breakdown on latex v chalk paint. However, what I’m really most interested in is this: Most of the time the look my clients want is a clean, new, not-distressed look. I also don’t usually have to put on a sealer coat to any latex projects I’ve done so I’m wondering how chalk paint would turn out without waxing.

I haven’t really seen any projects done with chalk paint that weren’t distressed or aged. What results will I get if I use chalk paint for a clean look?

Can you email me directly w/an answer? (contact via website)

Again, thanks so much for the comparative price breakdown. I was just thinking today about ordering some Annie paint :-)

30. Kacey November 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

What a great idea for a post! This says it all. EXACTLY why I love chalk paint, too!

31. Chrystal@TheShabbiestChick November 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Shaunna,
    Thanks so much for including my hutch again today! You make my heart happy!
    I completely agree with the cost comparison of ASCP vs. latex, but, even more than that, the ease of painting with chalk paint makes it a bargain at twice the price! I love it a crazy amount!

32. Michele (StiltskinStudios) November 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I’m an admitted LATEX-HATER, but really, if you’ve tried chalk paint, you will not go back to latex. It’s life changing, and I’m not exaggerating!

Great, informative post, thanks for sharing!

33. Renee November 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

I do love chalk paint and just use regular furniture wax on all my furniture and items that I paint…it works just fine. I really love the paint, but I admit the first time I used it, I panicked…It was so thick and I could see so many brushstrokes! However, once it dried and I sanded it very lightly, the finish was perfect!!!

34. Stephanie November 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Love the recommendation on paint! Annie’s packaging is gorgeous too. I had no idea this existed in colors outside of black!

35. Vicki Shoemaker November 5, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

This is a great post! Do you mind if I share your cost comparison on my blog and give you credit? I am the north central CA Stockist for Annie Sloan. I am constantly getting asked how this compares in cost to latex….we all know how it compares in longevity and the feel, etc. I would love to share your info with my customers!

• perfectlyimperfect November 6, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Hey Vicki! I don’t mind at all….thanks for sharing! :-)

36. jane November 6, 2011 at 8:06 am #

Thank you so much for the informative article. My first project using ASCP is now complete. This paint, as you said, is fabulous. For a very impatient person (when it comes to painting furniture) and someone who has wrist issues which makes sanding difficult, this paint is a godsend. As for coverage, I used less than a quart of Emperor’s Silk…brilliant red…on the exterior of a 7 foot armoire (2 coats) and a huge ornate mirror…and I still have about 2 inches of paint left in the can. Amazing! (I even had bought a second can of ES, just in case). Guess we’ll be seeing LOTS of red projects around here. The best part of this is that my husband, who always critiques my (lack of) painting techniques, was quite complementary of this project. He was amazed that there were no brush strokes…especially since I used a chip brush.

37. Lacey November 6, 2011 at 10:57 am #

I recently saw some tutorials on pinterest that showed how to make your own chalk paint using latex as the base—I’d be interested in your experience if you ever try the diy chalk paint in your painting with a comparison to the ASCP. Love your work!

38. Larain November 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

I love the look of your chalk paint, is it available in Australia. I idea of painting and finishing in one afternoon appeals to me greatly. Would you please let me know I have purchased a couple of items at yard sales (in Australia called garage sales) have been looking at them and thinking how many coats of paint? Maybe the chalk paint is my answer.

• perfectlyimperfect November 7, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Hey Larain! I’m not sure about that…I’ll check into it. If you can get your hands on some, 2 coats of paint and a coat or two of furniture wax will do the trick! :-)

39. Emily November 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

Ok, please, PLEASE offer the option to buy online! My work schedule makes visiting a specialty shop during their limited hours not an option.
    So when you’re stocking, I want to start with one of the Provence and the Duck Egg Blue. And maybe the Pure White and Paloma!
    I think I’ll completely re-do the jewelry armoire I just “finished”… as the result just isn’t exactly what I was going for.. and I think I could make the chalk paint work much better.
    *sigh*
    If you know of an online retailer that you’d recommend, please drop me a note! I’m a regular reader but rarely check the comments as I use a blog reader on my ipod. :-)
    You and your family are stunningly gorgeous and I’m SO happy to read about the success you’ve been living.
    Much love (which is weird from a complete stranger, but you just seem so hug-able)
    ~Em

• perfectlyimperfect November 7, 2011 at 6:40 am #

Thank you, Emily! Such sweet things to say. ;-)
      I’m not a stockist, but if you head to anniesloanunfolded.com, I bet you can find an online retailer…if not, let me know and I’ll help you find one. Have a good one! :-)

40. Shannon November 7, 2011 at 11:07 am #

I just posted about a china hutch I did in Annie Sloan’s Paris Grey. Love that stuff and I totally agree that the cost is completely outweighed by how far it goes, how few additional materials you need to complete the project, and how much time you save. I’m hooked. Here is my project: http://picklechatter.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-look-for-and-old-hutch.html

41. morgan November 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

I’d like to add that clean up with ASCP is easier than latex. I love that I don’t have to scrub my hands after like with latex.

Thanks for the breakdown post, Shannon!

42. beth November 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Can this only be used on wood?

43. Carrie at lovely etc November 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks for this great post. I have long been convinced of the quality and beauty of chalk paint but was completely hung up on the price. Reading this convinced me to give it another chance and actually inspired me to do a little chalk paint test. You can check out my post here.

44. Mary Jean Taylor November 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm #

I was so into this post and enjoying the heck out of it and then when I got to my Paris Grey and White vanity I was thrilled to pieces that you included it in this post!!!! Thank you! Love your blog!!!

45. Jen Missner November 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Hi, great blog. I have been admiring it for a while now. I just have a question about the durability of the chalk paint. Everyone says it is a durable finish, but I have painted several pieces now and given them a few days to cure. Everything still can be scratched with my fingernail… some more than others. I think I have used plenty of wax since I have already gone through half the can on just 3 small furniture items. I put three coats on table tops and two on sides and legs. What can I possibly be doing wrong? Nothing is tacky, so I don’t think it is too much wax. I was hoping for them to cure and harden, does it take longer than a week? Should I try more wax? Any advice is appreciated since my local stockist doesn’t seem to be very knowledgeable since they just started selling it less than a month ago. I sell my work, so I want the finishes to hold up for my buyers. Are there any matte polys that can be used over the wax so I can possibly strengthen the finishes?

46. Reubsma November 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I am a DIY novice and just finished the second coat of Old White on a table I have been wanting to paint for years! It looked pretty good when I finished — but I just went to check to see if it was dry and there are two small sections that blistered!!! Can anyone offer a suggestion on what to do next? My table is pine, previously stained dark. My husband and son sanded the surfaces for me before I knew about ASCP, so I am really puzzled!

47. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating November 14, 2011 at 8:51 am #

This is a great post! I still haven’t tried chalk paint (mostly because I haven’t had a piece of furniture to refinish in quite a while), but after reading this I want to rush to Good will and pick up a piece just to try it out. And after hearing how people were having a hard time finding a stockist in their area, I was shocked to find that we have one right here in my small city. I was sure I’d have to travel to Austin or Dallas to pick some up. Nope! It’s right here!

48. Megan November 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

I have already painted several pieces with chalk paint. All of them being dressers, night stands, etc. I’m about to do a kitchen table for someone else. I’m doing the base in duck egg blue and doing a white wash effect in cream on the table top over the wood. I always use the waxes and want to keep the kinda dull chalky look. Is there a poly that is dull I can use over the waxes or instead of the wax for better protection? since it’s not mine and will be used a lot. I want to use some brown wax after the cream wash. Can you use the wax and add poly? I’m just nervous the wax won’t protect a kitchen table enough! Love your blog! I read it all the time for inspiration!

• perfectlyimperfect November 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

Hey Megan! If the top is washed with another type of paint, you can seal the table top with Varathane (4 coats). If it’s chalk paint, it must be sealed with furniture wax…the chemicals in poly aren’t quite compatible for it. As long as you apply correctly, the wax should be good to go. I’d go with 3 or 4 coats, to be safe. :-)

49. Cherryl November 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Im up here in Canada and just starting reading blogs on decorating and crafts and im finding them very enjoyable. I have a question about the chalk paint. What is the difference between that and chalkboard paint other than many colors. I have a buffet that I want to paint and chalk paint seems to be the one I want to use, so the question is just for curosity reasons, can anyone answer me Thank you

50. Molly Branstetter November 28, 2011 at 2:31 am #

I am so thrilled to try this paint out! Thank you so very much for sharing! It is all so beautiful!

51. Chrissy November 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

can you spray chalk paint?

52. trish naylor December 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Sorry to be such a ditz… but I was just checking stats and saw that we were featured here on your site…::BLUSH:: We are so very sorry we didn’t say thanks earlier!!! but on the flip side, it’s like an early Christmas present to Hueology!!! We LOVE you and ALL you do with your paint and MORE!!! Thanks again, Trish

53. Amy Copley January 2, 2012 at 7:07 am #

I’m so going and buying this paint! Thanks so much for your tutorials and detailed explanations on everything! I’ve started repainted old furniture but using latex paint. I can’t wait to try the chalk paint, seems like it will cut my project time in half! Now my question is… would you use chalk paint on kitchen, bathroom cabinets?? I’m moving into new house and really want to paint over the ugly plain maple cabinets. The bathrooms have that white, not wood, cabinets. What do you recommend??
    Thanks, Amy

54. jo meyer January 4, 2012 at 10:04 am #

I found the website of Nate show where the rooms of Shanna are shown, but what I saw on tv were these spectacular french chairs finished. I did skip over some repeat pictures on the webpage. Where can I see more of that room and those chairs, etc. Were they hers? sold? thanks.
    I want to try chalk paint too.

55. Laura January 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Shauna, I have been reading and reading and watching your videos for months now in prep for taking the plunge into Chalk Paint. I finally bought some and am ready to tackle a project. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
    One question I have before I start which I can’t seem to find addressed on the videos or in your writing (at least I can’t find it now.) How do you clean your pieces before painting? What do you use and then how long do you wait before “slapping on ” that ASCP? Thanks so much for your help! I am chomping a the bit. ;)

• perfectlyimperfect January 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Hey Laura! It just depends on the piece. If it’s simply dirty, I’ll use murphy’s wood oil soap for wood and possibly some anti-bacterial wipes if it’s really icky. But as far as getting the paint to “stick”, it really doesn’t have to be cleaned with anything for prep when using chalk paint. If I were using latex, I would clean with a deglosser (I get mine at sherwin williams). Hope that helps…go for it and have fun!! :-)

• Laura January 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Thank you for responding. :) Yes, I meant if it were dirty. I wasn’t sure if there was a type of product to avoid (such as Murphy’s) because of the oil or anything.
        I did just quickly wipe it down and went for it.
        SO FUN!!!! I am in love with the chalk paint!
        I couldn’t believe the difference between painting with it versus latex. Even after reading everything on the internet for months, I was STILL happily surprised at how amazing it was to work with! With latex I would have been so much more careful about brush strokes and direction and coverage…But to not have to worry about any of that? Painting was fun again!
        The piece I am painting is an old telephone/conversation bench. You know the kind with a seat and then the half table attached. It has lots of spindles which would have been a PAIN with latex. I couldn’t believe how easy it was with the chalk paint. I felt like I had so much more control. [In fact, it has inspired me to paint out the spindles on our staircase. I have always wanted to, but there was NO WAY I was tackling that monster with latex and worrying about getting it thin enough and not having brush strokes, etc...
        Now? I can't wait to get my hands on them! :) ]
        Your videos, blog posts, and Q and A’s about this paint were so helpful. You were really my main source of information. I always feel like your insight is real, unbiased, and down-to-earth. Thank you so much!

56. Sara January 11, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Do you really not have to sand before using this stuff? Like a dining table wouldn’t have to be sanded?! How would this hold up on kitchen cupboards. I LOVE this and have been trying to acheive this look for years. Thanks.

57. Michell @ Girl In Air January 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

GREAT post! I am the cheapest of the CHEAP! And I am SOLD on ASCP! I LOVE the stuff….it is worth every penny!

I am painting my kitchen cabinets with it…it also mixes so well with the other colors so there is a ton of combo’s you can achieve with this paint!

I hope to someday be a stockist here in Wyoming:-)

• Jennifer Scott February 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Would love to hear how your cabinets turn out, as I am considering using Annie’s paint on mine.

58. Dixie Redmond January 24, 2012 at 7:23 am #

This was a really good post comparing the costs and methods. I recently bought some Annie Sloan Chalk paint inspired by a dresser that Miss Mustard Seed had done. It was easy to work with – loved the no priming step. I did a review on my but feel I need to do the dark wax to give it a real honest review. So I have one more step to do. It was expensive stuff, but I figured I can use the wax on my folk art inspired creations.

Dixie

59. Traci January 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

How funny that the cost worked out to be almost identical. I really enjoyed reading your review.
    Traci

60. Erin February 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Love your work and your tutorials!

Have you ever done latex as the first coat, in order to have a darker color underlying, to paint a lighter chalk paint color on top? Would you have to sand, prime, paint since it’s latex? I ask b/c Latex is cheaper as a first coat…

I’ve watched and read so much on Annie Sloans and waxing that I’m on overload and don’t know what to do… I had a light piece of furniture that I painted with “pure white” and then did clear plus dark wax over it…it didn’t turn out like I had planned. I was thinking it was because it needed to have a dark color underneath first. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for the tutorials and great tips!
    Erin

61. amber February 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Gorgeous furniture! I think the whole house in the movie I Can do Bad all by Myself by Tyler Perry was painted with Annie Sloan. What do you think about the homemade chalk paint recipes that have been coming out?

62. Cheryl siciliano February 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

I am following you on pinterest. I loooove the hutch as a matter of fact. I passed up several opportunities to pick up a sideboard and hutch at a local Salvation Army because I could not fit them in my car. I wish I had them now. With your inspiration, I could have made them come back to life!!
    My sister said never pass up something you love…I have learned my lesson. I went back the next day and they were gone….

63. Jesse February 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Thank you so much for all this advice! I love love love it. I want to try using chalk paint soon. I featured you on my blog, and linked back to this post for credit. Thanks again!

64. Jennifer Scott February 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Wondering if you’d recommend Annie’s chalk paint for my kitchen cabinets. They were previously painted (semi-gloss!! Say it isn’t so!). Thus, I know I will have to sand them. Do you think using the chalk paint and furniture wax will be enough to protect cabinets? Would love your two cents on this. Thanks! Jennifer Scott, Arden Hills, MN

65. Sharon M. February 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Shaunna & ASCP Users,

I couldn’t wait to try ASCP and paint my re-purposed kitchen cabinets. I have painted many a piece of furniture but I am having some trouble achieving the finish I am going for. I painted the cabinets Graphite and decided it was to dark for my very small kitchen. The 1st color has 2 coats of AS clear wax. I wanted a warmer color and choose emperor’s silk. My stockist told me to paint right over the wax coat but the paint is blotchy. I didn’t really want a solid red coat & was hoping the graphite color would give some depth. Should I have striped the wax? Sanded? Help!

• perfectlyimperfect February 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Hey Sharon!
      Send me an email maybe with an inspiration pic that you were going for. I’ll be happy to help as much as I can!! :-)

66. Sandy Niss February 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Great information! I love the look you can create with ASCP! I have a question about clean up… do you re-use your wax rags? If so, how do you wash them? I used quite a few rags to wax to 2 pieces of furniture and was not sure how to get them clean again? Any advice?

Thanks!

67. SandyM February 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Is going to one of the listed locations the only way to buy this paint? I noticed you said that you “clicked” on it to buy it. My daughter-in-love recently used this & it was great! Love all your pictures & your descriptions.

68. Shannon March 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

I’ve got to tell you, I was sold on the chalk paint after reading this. I was, however, rather disappointed when I used it on an armoire and then coffee tables. The coverage wasn’t great, I had to start over and prime the coffee table because there was bleed through that I couldn’t cover after multiple coats of paint. The armoire took 2 1/2 quarts and the paint just wouldn’t stick (it was a “fake” wood or laminate piece, but I thought this stuff adheres to anything). Ultimately the projects turned out fine, but I spent more than I would have liked- both in time and money.

• perfectlyimperfect March 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Aw, I truly hate that, Shannon! Sometimes, I know there are just some pieces that require more work/time/paint–I’ve painted probably 40 or so pieces (maybe more?) with chalk paint, and I have only had one bleed through–so I painted a second coat, and it went away. I SO hate it took more time/paint than planned! I’m sure it would be better next time…still frustrating though. Send us a pic so we can all see how it turned out! :-)

• Amanda Jane March 17, 2012 at 11:23 am #

I would suggest always priming before painting a laminate peice(whether with latex or chalk paint) . In the long run it will be more durable and the primer will be more likely to prevent the bleed through :) Shauna’s suggestion of Kilz spray primer is a great product and also fast and easy to apply :)

69. Toni Browne March 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I loved your post and thank you for all the info on chalk paint. I have done quite a few peices
    of furniture and love creating. I first used latex paints and had beautiful results,then I started using milk paint and I love it. By reading about chalk paint it seems very similar to milk paint.
    My question is have you ever tried milk paints by General Finishes, and if so if so how do they compare to chalk paint. I’d love to know!

• perfectlyimperfect March 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Hey Toni!
      I’ve ordered milk paint from John Millen Hardware online. I do like it a lot–it seems to have more a mind of its own…it adheres how it wants to. I’ve loved it…I seem to lean toward chalk paint more times, though. They’re both great! :-)

70. sharon Gudde March 17, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Great post….does it work for kitchen cabinets? I am in the stripping process right now..i like the look of chaulk paint but don’t know if it would hold up to kitchen use..
    Sharon

71. Tiffani Thiel March 17, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Is chalk paint also called milk paint ? Where can I buy it, I’m in California

72. Debra March 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

This is Great information on the Chalk paint. I too questioned the price and everything else you have covered. I did a lot of research on the blogs that use Annie Sloan paint and compared different on line retailers before finally ordering a few sample paints. I did only find two out of 20+ retailers that sold samples. My first order was for sample pots (4-5 oz. jar) of Old White and Country Gray, $9.95 each, “Creating the French Look” by Annie, and so important was the $6.00 I spent for the real hand painted Color Chart. The colors on this chart are so rich and vivid you can’t help but want to order every color. The sample pots are great for me, and I am sure after I get used to how much paint I use I will know which colors I will want to order quarts. My order just arrived today, I have had a chance to play with it, the paint is thick and rich and the colors go on so smooth and creamy with no lumps and with so much pigment it covers beautifully. Funny story here. While I was testing my new chalk paint, I also opened two pods of Ace paint I had purchased, and of course I stirred the Ace pod paint and dipped my brush in the paint and onto the sample board, only to have it clump up with little pieces of that wonderful chunky skin that you get in latex paint. That said it all for me right there.. I have another order coming with wax and brushes, and oh, of course I will need that Dark Wax, and Cream and Louis Blue… :-)
    Do yourself a favor and just try a sample and a hand painted color chart, for less than $20.00. If you don’t like it you can pass it on to a friend.
    I am not posting the name of the supplier I ordered from as Shauna may have her preferred stockist.

73. Jessica April 24, 2012 at 10:39 am #

When you purchase a piece to sell, lets say a chest of drawers in good condition, how much on average would you pay. I am seeing pieces I want to buy to sell in the end, but they all seem pretty pricey.

74. Tricia Springer April 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

How can I order Annie Sloan chalk paint on line?

75. Jamie Boedeker April 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Hi! I was wondering what finish you use with the chalk paint for a matte look?

76. Lisa E May 7, 2012 at 11:23 am #

I want to ask a question already asked of you above, but she requested a private reply, therefore I still need the answer, if you would. While I am a fan, my hubby isn’t a fan of the distressed look. Is this the type of paint good for just the clean painted look as well? I’ve only seen samples using the distressed look. Thanx for this post, it’s very informative. You are very talented and have a great eye! Love your blog!

77. Emily May 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I was interested to read your review, but I’ve read some reviews saying that people find it really hard to keep chalk paint covered furniture clean of greasy marks, particularly with kids. What is your experience with this?

• perfectlyimperfect May 9, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Hey Emily, Hmmm…I’ve not had this issue at all. My question would be what kind of top coat are they using? Is it Annie’s soft wax? It is truly meant to go with the paint. Secondly, how is the top coat applied? When I first used soft wax, I applied it too heavily, and didn’t wipe it off immediately. It stayed a little tacky, and did show fingerprints later. Once I learned the proper way to apply wax, I repainted & waxed again and it’s great now. So, I would say as long as the paint is sealed properly, it should be good to go. I know our coffee table gets lots of abuse (I have two kids, 5 and 2), and there’s no more durable surface in our home. Hope this helps–I’m happy to answer any questions!! :-)

78. Meg June 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I’ve been doing some research in prep for painting a dining table, 5 chairs, and a small desk. I’m interested in using the chalk paint, any ideas on how much I would need for all that furnture?
    I actually bought all of my sanding and priming supplies but couldn’t seem to figure out a good, durable paint to use. I talked to a friend who suggested chalk paint and it led me to this tutorial. Anyway, I’m debating on which technique to use and which would be better for my super tight budget.

79. Robin July 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

I am so excited with my new cans of paint and wax. Any reason I shouldn’t do my fireplace mantle?

80. Angie Newsom August 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

I absolutely LOVE your blog. So useful and Great info. I’m new to the world of chalk painting and distressing furniture, but what I do know is I have the
    most fun doing it!!!!

• perfectlyimperfect August 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Exactly what it’s all about, Angie! Glad you’re having fun with it! :-)

81. Alison Grisham August 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Hi Shaunna,

I saw a post from one of your readers about bleed through, and thought I might chime in with a helpful suggestion. Sometimes those pink or yellow spots just won’t go away, no matter how many coats you use. So, when using a light color, like “Old White,” I always spray the piece with lacquer before I paint. It’s a cheap insurance policy against bleed
    through and one coat does the trick. The ASCP goes right over it… and problem solved. Love your posts… thanks so much.

Ally from the chalkpaintdivas.com

82. Barbara August 29, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

How many coats of wax should be applied to a piece of furniture? I have been waxing with AS clear wax, but think that I have used too much wax. What is the proper application?

• perfectlyimperfect August 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Hey Barbara! 2 coats minimum for a top…I usually do 1 for bottoms/sides. Check out this post here for waxing tips:
      http://www.perfectlyimperfectblog.com/2012/03/how-to-wax-furniture-part-2.html :-)

• Caroline August 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Hi, I just found your blog and it is very helpful. I know that you can’t answer every question but I did not see answers to several that have been posted. My questions are the same ~ why would ASCP blister? If I don’t want a distressed finish how do I achieve a nice rich finish? What about cabinets, especailly kitchen where there is wear and tear? Any tips for those ? How to finish ? Will the paint adhear well on the cabinets? What is the difference between milk paint ( they look dull to me) and also chalk paints made by others ? I am happy to learn that the paint goes far but at $35 + per color, plus the waxes, plus the brushes ( someone said they are maybe $35 also ) a project can add up. The underlying question also seems to be ~ if we paint a peice, taking time and money, will we get professional or perhaps a decent enough finish that we’d be proud to put in our home ? Also many seem to be more interested in the destressed look that was popular in the early sixties with young people in their first home with little money. The kits hid a multitude of mistakes. I’d like a more formal Scandinavian finish, ie. more a soft buttery solid rather than a distressed look. Help, please.
        Caroline

• perfectlyimperfect August 31, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Thanks, Caroline! This post is older, so sometimes the new questions/comments get lost in the wash. Glad I caught yours! I’m not sure about blistering? I’ve painted literally over 100 pieces with it and had no trouble with this, so I don’t know on that one. To achieve a rich, solid finish, simply paint 2 coats and add 2 coats of wax. I feel like the cost difference for me is over the longer term: meaning, I never buy sanding supplies anymore, use an electric sander, never buy primer (which is pricey), or high end latex enamel (which in my opinion is the only latex that should even be used on furniture)…all that adds up quite nicely, too. :-) For me, slapping a couple of coats of paint on is just simpler, easier, and saves me HOURS I used to spend on each piece. Plus, the cure time with latex and sealers is so long (for an actual durable finish), that it’s great for me to be able to complete a project (or several) in an afternoon. I paint it and distress or leave solid…both ways are beautiful, and I believe, lend to beautiful, authentic finishes. Hope this helps! :-)

83. paul September 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

you never answered the above question about making your own chalk paint (or I just missed the answer)- I was curious as well.

84. Mickey Gobes September 5, 2012 at 5:43 am #

Amazing post. It will be a great help to me….:)

85. Brenda McMullen October 24, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Where can i buy Anne Sloan chalk paint in North Carolina . Love the look but no info where to buy . Thanks

86. Amy F November 17, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Yay! I love it when something I love that is more expensive is actually the cheaper/better choice! Thanks for explaining it so well. Since my best work is done after 9 p.m. (I’m a night owl living in a banker’s hours world) I need every color on hand for any whim that might strike.

87. Alicia April 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I’m looking for a BRIGHT pink colour for a vanity I want to buy for my daughter’s bedroom. Do you know if you can get specific colours? The ones listed on Annie Sloan’s site are too pale for what I am thinking..

• perfectlyimperfect April 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Hey Alicia!
      Yep, you sure can! Just mix Emperor’s with Pure White…it’ll be a really bright, hot pink. You can start with 2 parts Emperor’s Silk to 1 part Pure White and continue adding white until you get your desired shade. :-)

88. tonyia May 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Hey there I was wondering if you could advise me on something. I am also a lover of paint and have never used chalk paint before but have read up a little and am planning to do my first piece tomorrow.. a table for my daughter’s clubhouse. It is an older darker brown table and I do want to “distress” it afterwards. My question is I am wanting to make it appear distressed with a white color peeking thru and am painting the “top coat” then a dark gray to go with the trim in her room.. is there a specific way to do this such as only paint the white underneath the dark gray where I plan to sand/distress it, or do I need to pretty much paint the whole thing.. I am wanting a vintage look anyway but didn’t want to waste time apply more paint than I need to.. I am not using Annie’s I am going to make my own from a recipe that sounds like it works pretty well using Plaster O Paris.. I’d really love a reply, and greatly appreciate it. I haven’t been able to get feedback from anyone yet. Thanks so much! Tonyia

• perfectlyimperfect May 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Hey Tonyia! YOu can just apply the white coat, let dry, apply the top coat and let mostly dry. Then with a damp cloth, wipe back just to the white paint. It’s a dry-wash…and really gives a great texture and look. Good luck! :-)

89. johnporter May 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

This is an excellent guide. Good work!

90. Gina May 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

I want to paint an end table with chalk paint and then write some words on it that will be permanent. I do not want to use a stencil. Do regular paint pens work on top of chalk paint?

91. Melissa July 13, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I’ve been wanting to take the plunge and paint some furniture with chalk paint for a while now. I am planning to go with the Annie Sloan paint and wax but it seems the paint and wax brushes may break the bank. Any tips on what type of brushes may work just as well for a cheaper cost?

92. Jamie October 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Quick question. I bought a piece off Craig’s list that was just primed with kilz primer. She said its an oil based primer, can I still use annie Sloan chalk paint right over that? Just didn’t know know the water based/ oil based would mix! Any help??? Thanks! Love your blog

93. RaleighDIYgirl December 29, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Excellent blog, work, and photos! One suggestion… since you’re topcoating paint with the Polycrylic, there’s no need to buy expensive paint. You can buy a gallon of Valspar 4000 at Lowe’s for $15 Flat finish. Poly will stick better, no need to sand or degloss between coats. Also, I recommend Zinsser 123, as it is indoor and outdoor and fairly self leveling. It sticks to surfaces without sanding and is super durable. It comes in brush on or spray. Hope this helps!

94. Teresa June 28, 2014 at 10:57 am #

I want to paint a dark green headboard white and distress so some of the green shows through. Would you suggest chalk paint and sanding, or dry brushing with latex?

• perfectlyimperfect June 29, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

Hey Teresa! Well, you could definitely do either. Although, I’ll say I think Chalk Paint distresses much prettier and easier. I like to sand before I wax with a fine grade sanding sponge, and it really just comes off easily and shows that underneath color beautifully. Hope that helps! :-)