dry brushing furniture | video tutorial

Waaay back when I revealed the Wisteria-inspired chest of drawers (the one that graces the cover of my ebook), it became the focus of lots of furniture painting questions for me.

video tutorial on dry brushing furniture

A couple of weeks ago, I revealed this french chair, and same thing.  Time to create a video tutorial, I thought.

This one’s short and sweet, but so is the process.  As always, let me know if you have any questions in the comments.

I hope that helps you see just how easy it is–and helps you pick up the paint brush and get going!  Have a wonderful weekend!

And P.S.  Don’t forget for you Bama folks–we’re having a yard sale tomorrow at Harris Tire Company in Troy, AL. (1100 South Brundidge Street) from 7 a.m. til Noon.  If you’re in the area or up for a day trip, I’d LOVE to see you and say hello!

And P.S.S. I’m over at Chris’s today sharing my favorite chalk paint colors/color combos.  Be sure to stop by and check out her beautiful blog!

, , ,

13 Responses to dry brushing furniture | video tutorial

1. Jody April 13, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Great tips and I love how the finished piece looks. Thanks Shaunna!

2. Lori April 13, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Thank you for sharing with us!! You do such beautiful work!!

3. Kristina B April 13, 2012 at 8:41 am #

IS the white that appears to be shining thru the primer (kilz)?

• perfectlyimperfect April 13, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Hey Kristina,
      I didn’t prime the piece at all–I painted 1 coats of chalk paint, then dry brushed the white on. :-)

4. Heidi@AllThatBringsJoy April 13, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Another great video, THANK YOU!! I dry brushed an entire farmhouse tabletop once and ended up with WAY too many blotchy spots but was still able to save it in the end. It was helpful to watch you in action, thanks for taking the time to shoot the video :)

5. Jodi McKelvin April 13, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Just attempted dry brushing yesterday! Wish I had procrastinated just one more day. I like the results, but glad I have this for next time.

6. kelly April 13, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Thanks for sharing. I am ready to try the technique.

7. Karen April 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks so much for this great tutorial Shauna. I often hear people say just do a little “dry brushing”. And I think I know what that means but I’ve never truly seen it done or had anyone teach me this. Your tutorial was great help. One thing I wonder about so often is how do you finish the inside of your cabinets? Or even the edges of a drawer or door? Always love learning something new from you.

8. Jamie Rowe April 14, 2012 at 6:16 am #

Thanks for the great tutorial. Dry brushing is one of those things that sounds so complicated but you made it look so easy. I can’t believe people have made comments about your dogs and kids in your videos. Those people probably have really clean houses without little hand prints on the wall and fancy kitchens they never cook in ;) I appreciate you keeping it real.

9. Lana April 14, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Great tutorial Shaunna,
    I don’t mind the kids or dogs in the background, it makes you real. After all most of us are at home and not doing this professionally, or hiring a camera crew to video. I can see if it was a video you were producing to sell people not wanting background noise, but for YouTube its fine with me.

10. Mary April 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Shaunna, what color did you use on the base?

11. Denise September 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

I love your painting. You are really talented. I am just confused. You painted the base Paris Grey but I see black? Was the piece originally black? My eyes maybe playing tricks on me. Also, I kept clicking on the chair to see that and I kept getting routed to the dresser and a trunk. Do you have anything showing the Chair? Or directions on how to do the chair? I have a Chair and would “LOVE” to do that, to it!! Love the Dogs in the back ground!!! Love your video’s! Down to earth and these people are getting this incredible artist giving free help. Would love to see the dogs in the next video!
    Thank You Shaunna!