dining room redo resource list

To say that I’m overwhelmed with gratitude would be the understatement of the century.

I mean, y’all….you made me feel incredible yesterday.  Your comments and affirmations of things I felt already about the dining room meant the world to me…and lifted me several cheerful feet off the ground.

As stated in my ebook, you guys are dream makers.  And that, my friends, is no fluff.  It’s all true.  So, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for such kind, encouraging, and thoughtful comments and compliments!  They are undeserved and so delightfully special.

Photobucket

I thought I would create a little resource list in pictures for you today.  We’ll be really casual about it…some items will be listed, and I’ll go into detail on others.  Okay?

Photobucket

I might share some more pictures on the dining table, but I wanted you to have the resources here in one post.  The dishes, silver, and napkins I already owned.  Placemats and the runner are by French Laundry Home, and I found them on sale at One King’s Lane.  You can find more of their products online at Neiman Marcus.

Photobucket

The two little french patina planters came from JoAnn and were $3 each.  I LOVE the patina and color in these…and what a steal!!

Pears came from Pottery Barn, and were $12.99 for six.

Photobucket

I love seeing the different vignettes and how they are so collected….each of these items was carefully chosen over time.  Each spoke to me at a different shop, flea market, antique mall, etc.  That brings so much more meaning to each little moment throughout the room.

The original painting (on a wooden board) came from J & G’s Flea Market in Prattville, and came in a different frame.  It was $3.  I loved the color, subject matter, and most importantly, that it was original.  I didn’t dig the frame it was in so I grabbed an extra mat and frame (waiting for the perfect piece of art) that I had lying around and re-matted.  I LOVE how it turned out!

The vintage spools came from Gas Lamp Antiques in Nashville and were $2 each.  They are such a sculptural moment of art to me…and I love that they represent any part of DIY/Home.

Photobucket

If you’ve read the blog for a while, you know I am in love with books.  And an avid vintage book collector.  I love having such a focal spot for them…and placing such a collection together is powerful and unifying.  Plus, they’re pretty.  :-)

They’ve come from all over…I usually pick up vintage books when I travel and write where they came from.  I am not only into how they look, the actual subject matter, but the typography, and what the title speaks to me.  One of my favorites is a turquoise hard back from 1930….The Passionate Journey.

Well, hello beautiful.

I also have a rule…pay no more than $5 unless it’s amazing, can’t-live-without-it-kinda-special.  Then, it’s usually no more than ten or twelve bucks for me.

Photobucket

I shared 58 and Grace with you guys a while back.  It’s where I found these great skeleton keys, and you should definitely check her out for awesome, one-of-a-kind vintage finds!  LOVE Whitney’s taste!

Photobucket

The new matted frames all came from Ikea, where else?  It really is the best place to grab frames for a gallery…they’re so affordable and clean-lined.  I want some more just to keep for rainy days.  The canvas is Red Letter Words, and the vintage drying rack and an antique rug beater came from different flea markets.

Photobucket

Block print pillow- Pottery Barn,  Solid Jute Pillows- Pottery Barn found on eBay, Ikat Pillow- Pillowmio on Etsy, striped pillow- TJ Maxx, green and white graphic fabric- Walmart at $3 per yard.

Suitcases-flea markets

Basket- Walmart

Vintage book holder, stamp holder- J & G’s Flea Market

Wicker plant holder & plant- Ikea

Plant- Ikea

Vintage-inspired bottle basket- TJ Maxx

Vintage Map- Gas Lamp Antiques in Nashville

Keys- Hobby Lobby

Chalkboard Frame- old frame repurpose

Photobucket

White Chippy Candle Stand- Pottery Barn (clearanced)

Glass hurricane- JoAnn

And those books are some of my favorites right now.  ;-)

Photobucket

Window seat cushion….I purchased the fabric at 50% off at JoAnn…think Spa Linen by Ballard’s.  It’s blue/green/gray all at the same time.  I, you know, am not a sewer, so I called up my dear friend Debbie from Cottage and Cabin.

Amazing, that woman.  She did both cushions in a day.  And they’re beautiful…AND she sewed me two pillow cushions with the extra fabric and backed it with a gray-sage burlap. A woman after my own heart!!

Seagrass Vase- $6 at JoAnn

Photobucket

We painted the paneling and built ins my go-to white–Benjamin Moore’s White Diamond, and we chose Sherwin Williams Crushed Ice in Satin for the coffered recesses and right wall.  It was a subtle difference, but the gray is much more taupe, less beige, which has brought such a cooler feel to the room.

That’s it.  Listen, I didn’t buy all this at one time…these items have been purchased over the last year, and some of them the last few months.  It took looking, scouring, repurposing.  That’s why it takes a while for me to complete a makeover in my home.

I’m in no hurry to finish.  It’s about the business of creating a home.  On a budget.

And that, friends, can take a little time.

34 Responses to dining room redo resource list

1. Karen @ The Quaint Cottage September 7, 2011 at 9:56 am #

I really love what you did. You give me such inspiration to go home and finish some of my projects. You have such a great talent.

2. Comeca Jones September 7, 2011 at 10:20 am #

The blue train case is so cute.Everything looks great.

3. Melissa M. September 7, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Love, Love, Love everything! I can’t even believe you guys built that table! AMAZING!!!

4. adventuresindinner September 7, 2011 at 10:43 am #

What a lovely room and your photos are just fabulous. I’m still working on my photography, I think it might be a long road.

5. Beth @ NashvillePug September 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

So glad you have a little Nashville in your room! Makes me smile. :)

6. Bridget from Refined Vintage September 7, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Such a lovely transformation! I found you through Pinterest. I love the neutrals with my favorite shades of blue, so perfect.

7. Jodie September 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

So many great things! I love how you styled it, you are so talented! Thank you for all of the resources!

8. Sarah - Dodeline Design September 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

All the little vignettes are so wonderful, and it’s neat that they all have such a great story to them!

9. Lynda September 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

So, so pretty and just a great example that amazing style doesn’t have to cost a fortune. You did great!!!

10. SheilaG September 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Again, I love it all! :) I do have one question: I noticed that your window goes almost to the floor- how did you accomadate that with the built in bench? Does it look funky from the outside or did you change out your window or…? Just trying to figure it out- I have 2 similar but narrower windows in my living room, one on each side of my fireplace- have thought about a built-in bench but couldn’t figure out the windows.

11. Theresa September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

It is all so pretty, what a great room! All of your well thought out pieces are just the right touch. t. xoxo

12. Judi Spinetti September 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

why are your books placed what appears to be backwards on the shwlves ?

13. Judi Spinetti September 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

plus hoping for a tutorial on the table !!

14. Kathie September 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

The dining room looks amazing! I love the vignettes. You have such an eye for color, texture, and scale. I am also impressed with your shopping skills. I love finding bargains. Any time you need a shopping buddy let me know. :-)

15. Cottage Coastal Store, Inc ~ Kim September 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

Wow!! Great job…loving all the details you put into the re-do….Enjoyed this alot.

16. Kerry Rossow September 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Holy gorgeous, batgirl! I love this! Do not be alarmed if you find me sipping coffee some morning in that window seat (that goes on for.ev.er!)
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

17. Ellie September 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Yup, still drooling! I love the mix of textures and the colors are perfect.

18. Kelsey @aslolife September 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Thanks for the etsy pillow link–I’m always scouring that website for cute pillows!

19. Sandra September 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

I love how it all has come together. Especially the book cases. I have always needed help putting it all together. You are so talented.

20. Jeannie-jb September 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Can I just say I LOVE that blue train case??? The whole room just looks amazing.

21. glenda b September 8, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I love, love, love your dining room. I adore window seats, and have spent a lot if time trying to figure out some place to put one in this old farmhouse. You guys did a really great job on everything-that table rocks!! Your built in shelves are terrific.

22. Karen September 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

BEE-U-T-FUL!! When can I move in?

23. Tina September 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

You did a fabulous job! I love the new room. How lucky are you to have a friend like that? Lucky!!! The window seat that you added really cozies up the room and what a cute little stool. The fabrics are wonderful, the table….fantastic. : )
    ~Tina

24. Mamalou's Gems September 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

LOVE the window seat. My goal before I die is to have a house with a window seat….odd request I know but I have wanted one since I was a little girl. I might have to pin yours under my “Bucket List” board on Pinterest. Come visit my blog sometime http://mamalousgems.blogspot.com/

Lisa

25. Becca September 9, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Gorgeous, Shaunna! Thanks for sharing all of the resources. I know you can’t wait for holiday dinners in your beautiful “new” space!

26. Meliss @ Shabby LOCO September 9, 2011 at 7:20 am #

Dear Shaunna,
    I live in turdville. Thank you for reiterating that to me.
    lol. Looks FAB…Hate you :{

27. Angela T. September 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

The dining room makeover looks fabulous! Awesome job on the table and built-ins! I’d love to know where you got your rug, too. I’ve been looking for one like that for our current home (all tile floors), but the cost is putting me off.

28. Krista Moran September 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I was wondering where the rug is from?

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Hey Krista,
      I got it on overstock.com….it’s a banded sisal. :-)

• Krista Moran September 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Thanks for letting me know. One more question if you don’t mind. I saw some sisal rugs on overstock but not many in 9×13 size. Is yours the beige border one? Yours has a nice natural look. I don’t one that ends up looking greenish.

29. Meg September 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

The dining room looks great! Maybe I missed it, but can you tell me where you bought your bamboo roller shades? I’ve been looking around and haven’t found the right ones. Thanks!

30. Beth November 20, 2011 at 1:48 am #

Your Dining Room is STUNNING! I just stumbled onto your blog tonite. I was looking for inspiration for creating distressed shutters (from unfinished, fairly new ones, of course!). It was devine intervention and INSPIRATION! I’ve been trying for YEARS to get up the nerve to paint dark, wood, 70′s paneling in my Family Room. Your redo has totally inspired me – thanks for sharing the paint colors. Can you provide more details on the painting process: i.e.: preparation, priming, paint sheen, tools, brushes, etc. My room is large, and I’m planning to paint the trim as well. Any pointers you could give would be awesome! I will be scouring your blog for other ideas. Thanks for sharing.

31. Diana June 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

I absolutely LOVE your dining room and can’t wait to steal some of your ideas. What type of rug (sisal?) did you use (and what size is it)? Thank for for the inspiration!!

• perfectlyimperfect June 7, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Hey Diana~ Thanks so much!! It is a sisal, bought on overstock.com. It’s a 9 x 13. Hope that helps! :-)