Vintage Makeup Party

As mentioned in my last post, I love a party.

Photobucket

Especially a party for my little ones.  Parties should represent the child, and celebrate what they love or respond to.

And when possible, they should be pretty.

Photobucket

We had a smaller gathering this year, so we chose to focus on having fun with the food and a dessert bar in the empty dining room.  Our rug just came in last week, so it was the perfect place for Ava to spin around and tear into gifts.

Photobucket

Her fun passion? Makeup.  She wants makeup from the time the sun rises until it sets…and while I had my reservations on having a “makeup” party, I knew we wouldn’t let her head to department store counters just yet.

This is where I have to fall over my sweet mother-in-law and my sweet friend and babysitter, Julie, who basically threw the whole party.  I was just kind of there, smiling at Ava.  (I couldn’t have done it without you, girls!!)

Photobucket

I’m such a tissue pom fan.  If there is such a thing.  I absolutely, positively, love them.  These tangerine, coral, and aqua (which was our color scheme) all came from the talented gals at Sevyn Designs Ink on Etsy.  Go check them out…they have a huge selection and were a delight to work with!

Photobucket

I chose to set up our dessert buffet on the piece I’ll never paint, and put a few items on our newly painted tray tables.  It felt more pulled together than when I’ve put it on a tablecloth (with a card table underneath) and it certainly dressed it up with no additional cost.

Photobucket

We were going a little vintage (as I tend to these days), and wanted a makeup party…well, have you seen many vintage makeup parties around these days?  Luckily, I stumbled across Lindi at Love the Day (on Etsy), and she designed a custom party for me…she is amazing!!  And to keep the makeup theme low key and in perspective, I asked her to include some scripture snippets…”beauty that comes from within,” and “unfading beauty.”

It’s the tiniest thing that’ll make you shed a tear at a party.  For me, it was those sweet and ever so special cupcake toppers.

Photobucket

At the last minute, I decided to bring Ava’s vanity in.  We set up her little makeup sets that she was given, and let me tell you, the kid had fun.  She also consumed approximately 6 ounces of body glitter.

I’m kidding.

Sort of.

Photobucket

Don’t worry.  We had some masculine face paint for the boys.  Now that I think about it, that’s all we had.  Boys.  Oh well, maybe she’ll make some girlfriends this next year, and these boys were adorable anyway.

Photobucket

I incorporated my lovely old ladder by hanging the favor bags with some twine and little hooks (Ikea).  Simple white sacks were dressed up with another sweet printable by Love the Day and a doily.

Photobucket

Speaking of sweet….ah, these two.  They have my whole heart.  (as do you, my amazing husband.)

Photobucket

Come back tomorrow for details on the food…and lots of pretty pictures.

If you have a question, leave it in the comments, and I’ll be sure to cover it in the details.  Can’t wait to hear what you think!!

Oh, and if you need a great playlist for a low-key party, this one suited Ava just fine….

Vegetable Car by Joshua Radin

Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift

All I Have to Do is Dream by the Everly Brothers

Fireflies by Owl City

Over the Rainbow by Jason Castro

Ain’t No Sunshine by Bill Withers

When You Say Nothing at All by Roman Keating

Hey, Soul Sister by Train

Once When I was Little by James Morrison

The Parting Glass by Wailin Jenny’s

Dig A Little Deeper (Princess and the Frog)

Stand by Me by Ben E. King

Crystal by Stevie Nicks

Secret Garden by Bruce Springsteen

The Best Day by Taylor Swift

Crazy Love by Michael Buble

The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson

All American Girl by Carrie Underwood

Catch you tomorrow,

;-)

*linking to….

Craft DIY Ideas

, , , , , , ,

38 Responses to Vintage Makeup Party

1. Lana July 18, 2011 at 6:41 am #

I absolutely ADORE this party….and even MORE SO ADORE your ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE (that’s a lot of adores/adorable/absolutelys in one sentence–but, hey–ya’ll are WORTH IT!!) little birthday girl!!!

Precious

Beyond

Words

!!!!!!

Hey–I’ve been a lurker for a while and keep meaning to comment…..Mwah-Ha-Ha…but I’ve stayed in the dark for the most park lurkin’ around.

I hope to meet ya’ll when I get back, though, as we’re coming back (from Italy–have been here since Feb./coming’ home in Sept.) to AL in just 2 months!!!!

Hugs/blessings,
    Lana In Italy

2. Florence Ferrell July 18, 2011 at 6:54 am #

ohhhh…that b&w photo….gorgeous!

3. Christina July 18, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Oh how fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 2 questions…and I don’t normally ask questions on people’s blogs….just try to leave funny & cute comments. But, are you using an overlay on your color pictures? {the first 2 for example} They look vintagy and I love the lighting of them. [I use Lightroom a lot, that's why I ask]. And secondly, I noticed a lot of people using those cute straw at their parties….where can I find some?

4. Debbie@refreshrestyle.com July 18, 2011 at 7:01 am #

Great party! Everything is so beautiful!

5. Karen July 18, 2011 at 7:11 am #

How lovely. What a beautiful party (and family).

6. Cousin Lisa July 18, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Oh Shaunna! What sweet details! I’m lovin’ the drinks, for sure! I would never have thought about getting into my charm squares for toppers!

7. Dorothy July 18, 2011 at 8:47 am #

How beautiful. You can throw a party for me anytime!

8. Darcy July 18, 2011 at 8:59 am #

These pictures, your stories…make me ache for a daughter so badly. My husband and I have a son – and he brings so much Light and Joy to our home – we wonder how we ever lived without him. But, to have a girl too! With their pink & purple, their hair ribbons, and frilly tutu’s. It makes my heart go pitter-pat. Hopefully someday.

Thank you for sharing these great ideas. I’ve booked marked the Etsy shop of “lovetheday”, for well…someday. :)

Cheers!

9. Rhonda July 18, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Oh Shaunna…..how fabulous! Love your pics….y’all look so happy! Thanks for sharing the important stuff!

10. adventuresindinner July 18, 2011 at 10:06 am #

So many terrific ideas. All of your hard work paid off.

11. Katie @ Wildwood Creek July 18, 2011 at 11:57 am #

Such a beautiful and fun party! Gorgeous photos.

12. Alima July 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Wow! Great job Shaunna! :) Beautiful party! As soon as I finish typing this Im going to be pinning away! Your dessert bar looks amazing!
    I second Darcy – seeing these pics makes my heart long for a sweet baby girl. I also have a boy and love him to death, but oh to be able to decorate with pink, lace, bows and vintage items would make me oh so happy! ;)

13. Alima July 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

oh and I got so excited that I forgot to say….your photography looks amazing! If I didn’t know better, I would have thought you hired a professional for the party photos! ;)

• perfectlyimperfect July 19, 2011 at 7:02 am #

Thanks SO much, Alima!! What a compliment….I’m trying to learn more and more…and baby girls are fun. But….let me make you feel a bit better….they tend to throw way more temper tantrums! lol Thanks for making my day, everyone!!

14. Nichole July 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Can you remind me where you got the straws and plastic bottles? My preggo mind is gone!

15. Kim July 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

What a cute party and your children are beautiful!

16. Lindsay July 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

ooooh! what a sweet party! I’m on the lookout for ideas for my soon to be 2 year old. I love that you shared your playlist, those are all such sweet songs :) I might have to steal it…

17. Kirbi July 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

You did a fabulous job!!!! I have been waiting in anticipation to see the party pics!! Gotta love parties! :)

My questions:

How did you do the fabric and straws on the those glass drinks?
    What settings was your camera on for the pictures of the dessert bar and also for the shots of your kiddos…the lighting looks perfect and I always have such a hard time indoors no matter how much natural light I flood in. Did you use an action or editing or is it raw?

THANKS for the inspiration! :)

Kirbi

18. Sarah - Dodeline Design July 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

what a beautiful party!

19. Heidi Folkerts July 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

I don’t like to just outright copy the things I see on blogs and all that. But I bought invitations, plates, and napkins on clearance I couple months ago from Target for my daughter’s September birthday and they just happen to be the EXACT same color scheme. So there might be some major copying in my near future….. ;)

20. SheilaG July 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Everything is beautiful! (oh, great, now I have a song running through my head…) Y’all are adorable and the party looks yummy and fun!!! :)

21. April July 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Those decorations are absolutely adorable! Glad Ava enjoyed her party.

22. JoyfulImperfection July 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

The banner, did you make it, buy it, was it one of the provided printables.

23. Marchell Arnold July 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

Wow….Such a beautiful color scheme and decorations…I hate that I miss the party and the desserts..Happy Birthday Ava!!!

24. Lindsay Jo July 19, 2011 at 6:04 am #

These are some wonderful pictures of your daughter. She is so adorable! and she looks JUST like you! Great job on the party!

25. Festive Party Girl July 19, 2011 at 7:31 am #

What a beautiful party. I love how the colors work so well together. They’re subtle and soft, and oh so pretty. Adding the vanity at the last minute was such a great idea.

26. Leslie July 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

What an adorable idea!

27. Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage July 20, 2011 at 5:15 am #

First of all this is adorable!! I am a party girl too and tend to go overboard! :)
    Second — I am hopping over from Lisa’s blog this morning! Fell in love with your blog and I am your newest follower!! Don’t know how I have missed you so far! :) Can’t wait to meet Lisa later this week! :) Hope y’all had a blast! :) And if you are ever up in TN let us know! :)

28. Elizabeth July 20, 2011 at 6:24 am #

Several things:

#1: Your daughter looks JUST LIKE you :)
    #2: Loved her outfit… Where did you find it??
    #3: What an awesome playlist!! :)
    #4: The pictures are amazing… I wish I had a nice camera and mad photography skills like you… You really know how to capture the moment!!
    #5: My daughter just turned 4 months, and while totally treasuring the present, your post really makes me all giddy about the future!

Thanks for sharing!
    Elizabeth from AL

29. Vintage Beachgirl July 20, 2011 at 9:34 am #

What a beautiful family! Such a warm and festive party setup for such (a) lovely child(ren)……..I
    can feel the love in the pictures! Thank you for sharing the happy occasion.
    Take care, VBg

30. Beth July 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

Just found your blog and I love it :) This party is the neatest idea. I love the scripture snippets and the lemonade drinks really caught my eye. I will have to check out your post on the food !

31. Amyshka @ Kiwi Chic July 25, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

Oh that colour scheme is stunning. I love the little squirt of turquoise. A.w.e.s.o.m.e

32. Zsa Zsa July 26, 2011 at 1:33 am #

A vintage party! How pretty! Such lovely children….but this isn’t limited to kids, right? You’ve just given me an idea for 2 friends’ bridal and baby shower theme, thank you!

33. mary September 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Cute! Love that photo of your daughter eyeing the goody table. Great way to display the treat bags too.
    Mary

34. Jessie January 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Beautiful party! I love all of it!

35. Kimberly January 8, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Love this! Love the song selections too! What a great playlist. Great photos. Nice job Momma!

36. Fatima Dreiza S. Manahan January 10, 2012 at 3:26 am #

WOW! I love this birthday party idea! I think your little girl is totally adorable and your family – gorgeous!

37. Mary S February 20, 2012 at 9:21 am #

I cant wait for my LOs 1st birthday! We are having a similar style of party, but minus the actual make up part. I love the dresser type of set up, I have a similar dresser in my garage (its so heavy I couldnt get it in my house alone) I think I will move some things in my house and put it in to hold the desserts (we voted against just a cake and for little desserts at a dessert table). But now I ahve so many more ideas!!!!