Coastal Bedroom Updates

With all the rain at the beach, we got a lot of little projects done at the condo last week.  Remember what our bedroom looked like before…

Some of the furniture was beautiful, just a little orange and dated, so it was staying with a little updating.  We have several steps left, but we’re on our way to a brighter, happier bedroom.

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

Major improvement, right??  We still lack things like wall sconces, swapping out the blinds for woven shades, and a little more wall art, but we are already loving this space!

The main challenge is the lack of light in the room.  There is no ceiling light, and little outlets.  I knew the first thing we had to do was paint this room white.  It’s almost pitch-black in the space at night, even with lamps on.  We went with Snowbound by Sherwin Williams, the palest gray/white…it is a new favorite for sure!

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

I loved the vintage bamboo-style furniture in the room, so we kept that and gave all three pieces a fresh coat of Chalk Paint® (Pure White & Duck Egg mixed with Old White for the side tables).  I waxed the two night stands with MMS clear wax, but still need to seal the dresser.

Speaking of, I’m sort of in love with how crisp and white it is…has me itching to repaint some things at home.

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

A lot of the accessories were found around the condo (see: shell/enamel stand above), brought from my house, and picked up locally at Target.  We still need some wall art for the wall to the right of the bed, but we’re keeping things minimalistic to encourage lots of room to breathe and relax…clean space.

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

We want this space to feel like us, but we also were working with a twist with all of the regency-styled furniture.  To balance the two, we pulled in things like simple white frames, wood tones, and an upholstered headboard (from our shop) with loads of texture to contrast with the glamorous desk, chairs, and lamps.

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

The lamps mimic the chrome desk on the other side of the room, and help the eye wander around the space.  Plus, they’re sparkly mercury glass.

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

The bedding, again, we kept simple.  We already had the quilt (Dwell Studio for Target) purchaseed several years ago, and the bedspread at the foot of the bed, so we purchased sheets to coordinate.  I love how all the shapes are different, yet mirror one another.  We might go for some euros eventually, but for now, this casual setup suits us.

The other side of the room isn’t finished, but you can see how different it is already…

coastal bedroom updates | perfectly imperfect

I plan on putting some wall sconces on either side of the mirror.  We’ll love the look and the light even more…especially at night!

Here’s a list of resources:

Paint: Snowbound by Sherwin Williams, Chalk Paint (furniture)

Headboard & throw pillows: perfectly imperfect (our shop)

bottles: flea market

wooden pulley, wooden vase, reclaimed sunburst mirror, lamps and shades, sheets: Target

Quilt & bedspread: Target (several years ago)

white frames & jewelry bowl: Target

I’d love to hear what you think about this mini-makeover…just goes to show what you can accomplish with a lot of white paint!

P.S.  Stay tuned for the desk area makeover next…i’m in looove with how it turned out!

, , , ,

36 Responses to Coastal Bedroom Updates

1. Amy@TheBlissfulBee July 12, 2013 at 8:58 am #

So elegant! Love how you transformed that dresser!!

xo
    amy

2. Lisa July 12, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Oh my – drastic and most beautiful change! Definitely more up to date and great color choices…white and bright was definitely the way to go. The room looks so much bigger.

3. Melissa July 12, 2013 at 10:43 am #

I love the color on the night tables! Do you remember the formula you used to achieve it. How many parts Duck Egg to Pure White to Old White?

Thanks!

• perfectlyimperfect July 14, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Hey Melissa! It was about 2 parts Duck Egg to one part Old White…just enough to lighten it a little. I then did half and half on the inset of the cabinet doors…you can barely tell they’re just a shade lighter. Hope that helps!

4. Kaylee Andersen July 12, 2013 at 11:12 am #

This is absolutely beautiful! It looks like something out of a magazine.

• perfectlyimperfect July 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Thank you Kaylee! I don’t know about a magazine, but it makes us happy all the same!

5. Janet July 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

WOW! The difference with white paint is just amazing! Love it. That retro bamboo dresser and mirror is what I am looking for. I am so glad you kept it, but hope I can find some to paint, now that I know how thanks to you! I don’t live very far from your condo so I am also trying to find inside projects to do. I am off to Target tomorrow .

• perfectlyimperfect July 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Thanks, Janet! We’re really happy with the dresser, too. happy shopping!

6. Amy July 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Beautiful. There’s some great DIY projects on Pinterest for roman shades made with vinyl blinds like the ones you have hanging. Keep up the good work :)

7. Mary Lynn July 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Beautiful! As rainy as it has been, does the chalk paint dry pretty quick anyway? I want to paint a piece this weekend, inside of course. And I am unsure about the damp weather in Alabama! Loving the condo, what part of Fl are ya’ll lucky enough to be in?

• perfectlyimperfect July 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

It did, Mary Lynn…very quickly. We’re near Panama City. And thanks!

8. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles July 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

Beautiful! I’m thinking you should have a painting class at your condo! ;)

9. Judy July 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Love it!!! What is the color on your night stand?

10. Marian July 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

So much more inviting! Great work.

11. Jackie Layton July 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

You are so T-A-L-E-N-T-E-D!!! It’s beautiful. Great job!

12. Tori July 12, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Huge improvement! Looks beautiful. I love faux bamboo and the ASCP updated it beautifully. Can’t wait to see more of the desk area when you post it. Great job!

13. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home July 12, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Absolutely beautiful Shaunna!! Such a light & airy space! I love it!

14. Brenna@DomesticCharm July 13, 2013 at 8:30 am #

I love those lamps!!!! I will be heading to Target ASAP!

15. Mandy July 13, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Beautiful!! makes me want to paint some walls white

• perfectlyimperfect July 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Thank you, Mandy! White is just the right thing sometimes!

16. Elizabeth @ Blue Clear Sky July 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Your condo bedroom looks great! I love how you updated the furniture and the white walls look so fresh.

17. Pamela July 14, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Paint is a wonderful thing! I know your condo is going to be just beautiful once you are all completed putting your touch on it.

18. Joy Jenkins July 15, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Love the way it turned out! The furniture is beautiful.