Guest Room Decorating

Once upon a sad, sad time, our guest room looked like this…

guest room decorating | perfectly imperfect

That desk was the first piece Matt ever built, marble inlay top and all.  We basically threw a bunch of office furniture in there and called it a day.  Choosing the red was a grave mistake…red can be done, of course, but not this red, in this south facing room.  Put a satin finish on it and you’re in business for a questionable lounge-y vibe.  Yikes.

So a few years ago, we transformed it a bit

guest room decorating | perfectly imperfect

We loved it, and many of the changes were thrifted and repourposed finds we added for very little $$.  The chest of drawers quickly became my trademark piece, both for my blog and at home…I still swoon over it!

While things aren’t totally different in there now, we’ve made some little updates and changes.  I decided I was tired of the $12 trellis headboard, so we sold those last year at our yard sale.  We had a college student live with us last year for about 4 months and eventually our bedding ripped (he was an excellent roomie, but alas, the duvet cover was used, and it just gave out with use).

We’ve slowly been making some changes, adding and taking away.  It remained empty for a while with no headboard, and the other day, I propped our oversized framed bead board behind the bed and voila…

guest room decorating | perfectly imperfect

I was craving a little pattern and texture in here throughout the year, so I pulled pillows from around the house and bought a couple.  The watercolor sham and shell pillow came from Pottery Barn, and the small pillow is Waverly Ellis in Turquoise.  The white euro sham with gray stripes & ties came from Ikea and I have them all over the house.   Don’t worry, I’ll be showing you full shots of the room so you can see other ways it’s changed, and when we’re ready, Matt and I are going to build a new headboard.

It’s going to be spectacular…I cannot wait to show you!

And yes, we’re painting that guest bath as we speak.  One day, my friends, one day, we’ll finish that sucker.

And Ava’s room, & re-floor the downstairs, & redo our master….

One lazy day at a time.

15 Responses to Guest Room Decorating

1. Laura Smith February 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

It looks fabulous! What is that paint color on the walls? I’m in love!

2. Connie Nikiforoff Designs February 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

What a beautiful difference! The ‘before’ being Lounge-y? Maybe even a worse title comes to mind…hee heee! But oh it’s pretty now. Can’t wait to see the new changes too! I’m working on a laundry room re-do….One day at a time, one day at a time :-)

3. nicole February 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

Awesome!, pretty and simple. Easy to make changes (again) when you decide another look is needed. I love paint and simple touches, it always goes a long way!

Nicole aka designitgirl

4. Beth February 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Please tell me on what website you store your photos (for this website). It appears my web filter is blocking them, and I want to unblock that website. Thanks!

5. linda February 26, 2013 at 6:59 am #

Just in case you don’t know, you will never finish. That was one thing I did like about moving all the time. Moving always meant a fresh house start. I am still adjusting to the fact we don’t move any more as of 3 years ago! I will never be finished with this old farmhome!! Nothing like a fun challenge,

6. Anna@agoodhome February 26, 2013 at 10:08 am #

When you said that first photo was your guest bedroom,I sat for a minute thinking really hard about what room in your house you could be talking about (from when I visited for a workshop). Then when I scrolled down and saw the room I saw when I was there and my jaw absolutely dropped. Having never seen the red fabulousness ;) I CANNOT IMAGINE that room in that color!!! It looks so perfectly welcoming in the colors you have it in now! Oh, and I think I petted that chest of drawers a little bit. It really is amazing :)

7. Elisa @ Fancyfreeme February 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Love the new headboard!

8. Barb February 27, 2013 at 7:06 am #

Very pretty. Comforting. Guests will line the walkway to sleep there. Did you build the headboard?

9. Ali Stevens February 27, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Wow, what a transformation, a fantastic guest room. I just wanna chill out in it right now! lol

10. Tiffini February 27, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

amen sista!! you will and it will all be fantabulous
    and if you don’t finish it will be because we will be in heaven…
    raptured…lol!
    xo

11. Lauren @momhomeguide February 28, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Beautiful transformation! I like how the room is so light and welcoming now!

12. Lasso the Moon March 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I love the changes. And you are right about the red…it can get a little racy. Can’t wait to see the whole room!
    Anna

13. Crystal Kirk March 4, 2013 at 9:27 am #

What a difference. The room looks beautiful. I love that headboard. It’s funny how things can just come together with a little creativity.

14. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof March 6, 2013 at 6:16 am #

Pretty Shaunna! I love the pillow covers :)