Dry-Brushed Chalk Paint Buffet

I’m telling you I’ve been a painting machine the last few days!

I can barely see the skin on my hands from all the chalk paint colors covering them.  It’s been. a. blast.

I truly hate I can’t find the before of this one–

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

I found this 1960′s Drexel Heritage buffet at an auction–and it was COVERED in mold.

I tweeted my Twitter pal, Scott, who restores historic homes (how cool is that?!?) & asked for some mold-removing tips.

He gave me some great ones, and after quite a bit of cleaning, and some painting, it turned out to be one of my favorite pieces.

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

This is the piece you see in my dry-brushing video.  I painted the base coat in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey (2 coats), and then dry brushed Old White all over the body and edges.

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

I kept the original hardware (LOVE it!).  Can you tell there’s a surprise peeking out??

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

Oh yeah.

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

Totally me on the outside, rock star on the inside.

I painted the insides in Emperor’s Silk, and it’s just the most stunning contrast to the cool grey.

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

I sealed the piece with Annie Sloan’s Soft Wax in clear–and buffed it for a subtle shine the next day.

chalk paint | perfectly imperfect

This sassy gal is at my space at Troy Antiques & will be available this weekend at Troy Fest.

And that fabulous sign???

I’ve got the details on that coming to ya tomorrow.

P.S.  Head over to my Facebook page to hear my big announcement!

**linking this post up to Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday, Tatertots & Jello’s Weekend Wrap Up Party

, , ,

24 Responses to Dry-Brushed Chalk Paint Buffet

1. Christina April 26, 2012 at 9:00 am #

That looks amazing! I have a question. When you sand to distress is there a special sanding block you use? The ones I bought are purple and I find the paint looks the perfect color till I sand, then it turns a light yellow color. Any tips? Such a fan of your work. :)

• Whitney Ginea August 7, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Christina- The paint will appear chalky or even a little dull when you start sanding. Once you start applying the wax you will see the areas that were sanded come back to life.

2. Nancy Mueller April 26, 2012 at 9:15 am #

Wow, what a lot of painting!!! You go girl!!
    Nancy

3. Sharon Bruyere April 26, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I love the buffet but what really got my eye was the sign on top of it! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that! Can I ask where you got that from?

4. Rasonda April 26, 2012 at 9:23 am #

How awesome is this??? love the “rock star” on the inside!!

5. Sherry April 26, 2012 at 9:38 am #

I love the way your buffet turned out, especially with the punch of color inside. I am also painting my buffet grey and I am using a homemade method of chalk paint, so far so good! I will be posting the finish product soon. Have a good day!

6. Danielle April 26, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Gorgeous! I love the dry brushing – it gives a very beachy relaxed look and that Emperor’s Silk. I love how it looks different on different pieces. Lovely. Can’t wait to hear about your sign tomorrow. Love it!

7. Denise April 26, 2012 at 10:29 am #

beautiful! So nice that you were able to restore a quality piece! Love the surprise inside :) well done. Congrats on becoming a stockist. That is huge!!

8. Gerrie Wydeven April 26, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Love this and particularly the lively interior. I have tried dry brushing and am not sure I’m getting it right – it’s hard to start with so little paint. Any tutorials/tips??

9. janet metzger April 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Oh Shaunna,

Annie will be thrilled when she sees the inside of your piece. This is so in keeping with what she teaches us…keep the dream going all the way to the inside…BEAUTIFUL!!

I can relate to mass painting going on..same thing here. I have three pieces going at the same time! An antique vanity, a long colonial bench and a buffet. While one coat dries, I work on the next piece. You are so correct….FUN!!

Enjoy your day
    janet xox
    The Empty Nest

10. Lorraine April 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

LOVE the interior contrast! it looks fabulous!
    Blessings, Lorraine

11. Gloria April 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Stockist? Praise the Lord and pass the butter beans. I’m working on my second, soon a third piece and I need a color chart. Lovin what’s happening here but need a color chart! Congrats to you. So exciting!

12. Jeannie-JB April 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Beautiful, Wonderful, Amazing, Awesome work. Love it!

13. cyndi April 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Beautiful! LOVE the red interior!

14. Lake Girl Paints April 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Just in the last two months I’ve found your blog, I think you got the Rock Star thing going inside and out!
    Also, I would love to hear some of your comments on cleaning mold off of furniture. I’ve just been using a cleaner bleach.
    Thanks! Deb

15. Lynn April 27, 2012 at 6:23 am #

Could you please post the tips for removing mold and mildew from old furniture? I have several pieces rescued from an old farm house that need help! Thanks!!

16. Lynn April 27, 2012 at 6:24 am #

PS: I love your inner “Rock Star”.

17. Cindy Martin April 27, 2012 at 7:29 am #

This is spectacular love the surprise inside. You do good work.. Thanks for sharing I so enjoyed learning the process. Come and see me if you get a chance I am new to blogging would love your visit.
    Cindy

18. Bliss April 28, 2012 at 8:14 am #

LOVE the red inside. I’m always too shy about using color, but putting it inside seems like a way to get my feet wet using color.

~Bliss~

19. Lisa April 28, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Love this piece! Sooooo beautiful! Hope this weekend goes perfectly!

20. Linda Leyble April 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Hi – that is lovely. One of my favorite ASCP combos – Paris Gray with the Old White drybrushed – very Gustavian look – don’t you think. Love the red inside (I adore that color!).

Wonderful blog – will return again!!

Linda

21. Anna@agoodhome April 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

I can hardly wait until you open your online store!! I’ll definitely be getting some chalk paint from you! Also, that buffet is AMAZING.

22. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof May 2, 2012 at 5:34 am #

Very pretty :) I have a hutch and plan on putting my grams blue willow china in, maybe these colors and technique would work with the indigo of the dishes :)

23. http://www.tubechop.com/chop/I94r2hpazHI November 10, 2013 at 5:36 am #

Thanks for this wonderful content. I really enjoyed it a lot.
    What you have done is actually really inspirational.

This is really great content. I would like to use your style to better my own content on my website.