dining room holiday table decor 2011

Merry Christmas, folks!

We’re decking the halls here at the perfectly imperfect house by the minute, and this year we certainly have a few criteria.  Our decorations this year need to be:

• simple
  • family friendly
  • inexpensive

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

I had to join my buddy, Layla’s, party today–head on over to see all the amazing table decorating ideas!

We are K.I.S.S. this year–keepin it simple, sugah.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

We’re hosting our annual Cookies for a Cause party for Grayson’s class, so we need the table to be free of place settings until then.

I love letting the table breathe a little.  We usually go all out with place settings, place mats, etc., but this time, I craved some fresh greenery with just a little sparkle.

I bought 20 feet of cedar (hello, magical Christmas smell) for $12.95 from Home Depot, and draped it in “wreaths” on the table, and sprinkled it with ornaments.  I wanted to keep the decor low and conversation-friendly, so I just added a few tapers to an epsom salt-filled footed bowl.  The small faux paper whites came from Pottery Barn.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

The rosemary swags were super simple to create, and again, I love the fragrance and understated holiday vibe.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

My sitter/friend/part-time assistant,  Anna Lauson, (a.k.a. A-Lar, as Matt likes to call her).  It just occurred to me that I’ve never formally introduced her.  Well, meet Anna Lauson, everybody.

She frequently grabs a cup of milk for Ava, instructs a wild Grayson to “calm down, buddy,” and listens to my out-loud list making all the while.

She even helps make rosemary chair swags.

God bless her.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

I’ll post a few more details on these soon–I made them for a special someone.

christmas decorating ideas on perfectly imperfect blog.

I’m still decorating the bookcases, and I’ll show them to you soon.

Until then, I’ll be cranking up the Christmas tunes & making myself way too many peppermint lattes.

;-)

, , ,

41 Responses to dining room holiday table decor 2011

1. Jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof December 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Love the swags on the chairs & your table looks great! Thanks for posting the tablescape button for lettered cottage….I was looking for that and couldn’t find it! :) I’m linking up my little man’s cookies and cocoa tablescape :)

2. modern jane December 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Beautiful! I absolutely love the rosemary swags on the back of the chairs!

3. Tiffini December 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Love the rosemary swags and the pretty simplicity! love LOVE!
    xo

4. kathysue December 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I love the simplicity and natural feel to it all, rosemary is a favorite of mine and it looks so prety on the back of your chairs. I used some this year on my napkins for Thanksgiving, just a touch of green and the fragrance was wonderful, Kathysue

5. Marydon December 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

So envy you being able to use live trims. Beautiful!
    Hope you have a lovely week ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

PS
    Pop over for our GIVEAWAY

• perfectlyimperfect December 5, 2011 at 8:31 am #

haha, I got them all from Home Depot! It was only $12.95 for 20 feet! I was blown away…usually don’t do live greenery either, but I am LOVING it!

6. Rhonda December 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

I love the garland – it makes me want to run to Home Depot ASAP for some right now! Beautiful.

7. Miranda December 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

Love it! Simple and completely beautiful. ♥

8. perfectlyimperfect December 5, 2011 at 8:30 am #

Thanks everybody!! :-) Hugs to you all!

9. Layla December 5, 2011 at 8:45 am #

Hip hip hooray for greenery! LOVE how fresh it looks! :-D

10. teresa December 5, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Perfect- love the natural look and the rosemary- I can smell it now.
    Happy Day

11. Kim December 5, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I love it, Shaunna.

12. Kristine December 5, 2011 at 8:58 am #

Everything looks so fresh and lovely!!! I do have a question though…how long does the greenery usually last? I want some!

• perfectlyimperfect December 5, 2011 at 9:00 am #

I don’t know, Kristine…this is my first time! :-) I’m hoping til Christmas….I spritz it everyday with water to keep it from drying out. I’ll let ya know!

13. Amanda Eck December 5, 2011 at 9:02 am #

its perfect! I love the simplicity of greenery and rosemary is one of my favorites to use during the holidays because it last so long.
    And your dining room is GORGE!

• perfectlyimperfect December 5, 2011 at 9:03 am #

Thank you, Amanda!! How sweet….yep, it lasts forever! :-)

14. Debbie@refreshrestyle.com December 5, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Love your K.I.S.S..Christmas table setting. It’s beautiful!
    Debbie

15. Rachel December 5, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Hi Shaunna! Your table looks GREAT! I love the look and smell of fresh cedar:) I hope you and the family have a great holiday! Hi to Matt!

16. Scribbler December 5, 2011 at 9:32 am #

I have a rosemary bush on steroids out in the garden, so I am definitely emulating your idea for using some of it!

17. Daune | Cottage in the Oaks December 5, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Love it! My favorite way to decorate. :) Merry, Merry!

18. Anna @ agoodhome December 5, 2011 at 10:52 am #

I love it!! Those rosemary swags are especially pretty. I don’t have a very decoratable table (it doubles as my crafting/sewing table), so I linked up my sideboard to Layla’s party :). It has my newly created toilet paper tube advent calendar on it!

19. Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea December 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I’m swooning, girlfriend! We are keeping it simple this year too and I just absolutely love how you’ve incorporated nature into your design. Fresh rosemary and evergreen must smell delightful. Happy Holidays!!! (hope you’ve gotten a chance to link up one of your Xmas posts to our Christmas Blog party).

Hugs,
    Marie

20. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions December 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Love that natural look on your table, Shaunna! It suits it! I also love those rosemary swags for the chairs. I always think the backs of chairs get forgotten about and that’s the first thing you see when you are coming to the table.

21. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top December 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

I just love the natural look. I walked into the store the other day and they had fresh wreaths and garland in the entry. Mmmmm! They smelled so good! I bet your house smells amazing! I love the swags on the chairs too. Very pretty.

22. Carrie ~ The Corson Cottage December 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Love it Shaunna! So simple and fresh! I just love the rosemary swags on the back of the chairs. It all really looks lovely.

23. Precious Sister December 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

This looks beautiful. I love the clean rustic style where all the materials show. You do it very well and make it look very easy, even though I know perfectly imperfect sometimes can be the hardest to achieve. :)
    What you do is very inspiring. Thank you.
    December wishes
    Annika

24. Becky December 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

The chair swags look great and I can only imagine how wonderful it smells in your dining room. :)

25. Carter and Rose December 7, 2011 at 6:42 am #

Love the idea of the rosemary swags on the chairs, the smell in the room would be fantastic. Quite the best way to decorate for Christmas/

26. {oc cottage} December 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

SIMPLY gorgeous!

m ^..^

27. Home ornaments December 9, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Beautiful, love this idea! Unfortunately my dining area can’t fit a large table.

28. kasienoble@gmail.com December 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Please elaborate on the swags. Please!!! :). How long does the rosemary last cut? Or is this something to do just before guests arrive. Love it

29. Jennifer @ Town and Country Living December 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

Love your dining room! I think my favorite part is the rosemary swags on the chairs. You did a great job. I like simple, too.

30. Aimee from ItsOverflowing December 13, 2011 at 8:08 am #

This is beautiful! I LOVE the Christmas touches on the chairs! 8 bloggers are hosting a Blog around the Christmas Tree Party and today’s feature is Christmas Scapes! I’d love to have you join up, the party is just beginning!

XO,