a letter to the birthday boy

Dear Grayson,

letter to a birthday boy

You’re adorable.

I bet the Pioneer Woman & Charlie think so too.

Especially because you said that we went to school at dark early.

letter to a birthday boy

You’re such a strange, funny kid.  You’d rather build a lego castle and hang with your dad than play all the video games in the world.

I love that about you.

letter to a birthday boy

Did you know that?

That your mama loves you more than she can hardly stand it at times.  I’d love to take away every bit of pain, heartache, and worry you might ever have.

But I also want you to learn.  To become a man like your daddy.  Your daddy is the best builder in the world…and so much more.

letter to a birthday boy

I love your smile.  I love how you can tell 20 minute stories that put me to sleep.  I love how smart you are, and how you’ll straight up ask for space (from even adults) when you need it.

Kevin, that was for you.

I cannot wait to see what you get into…what you dream up to become.  Because I know this…

You will be something.  You’ll shine; I just know it.

You already do.

My prayer is that we encourage you to reach, stretch, and expand your boundaries.  I have lots of prayers for you, little one.

I’m sorry school has been weird lately.  I’m sorry you are hurting…but you are loved, you are cherished, important, and hands down the coolest kid I know.

And I know a lot of kids.

I’m sorry you’ve been feeling so crummy lately.  I think we’re on the way to getting better.  You are so brave, and I love that you like to chat with all the docs.

I think they like it, too.

Keep praying for peace for me.  I worry about you.

Occupational hazard.

Thanks for making me laugh every other second of the day.  Thanks for going with me in the spring if we get this gig.  It’ll be a big adventure that I can’t wait to share with you.

I hope you have a great dinner tonight, and feel as special as you actually are.  I hope you laugh easily, and worry little.

I hope you order a piece of cake so I can have a bite.

letter to a birthday boy

Happy 5th Birthday, baby.

Your mama loves you.

**For those of you who have checked on Gray, here’s the latest update: We took him to a neurologist at Children’s Hospital at Birmingham on Monday.  MS was ruled out, which is AMAZING, but there are still some things to look at.  He’ll have a sedated MRI next Tuesday.  They’ll be looking for a syrinx, which is basically a swelling of the fluid around the spinal cord and base of the brain.  It typically causes the symptoms Grayson is having.  We are worried, but at the same time, feel like we’ll be given strength and grace when we need it.  And until then, we’ll be given the patience to wait.  Hard, but it is what it is.  We know we probably can’t fix it by worrying.  :-)  Thank you for your support and prayers; I’m sure I’ll be keeping you updated.  Thanks, friends.  For everything.**

33 Responses to a letter to the birthday boy

1. Jessica @nucheysmommy September 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

Happy Birthday to your little man :) My son just turned 5 to , the end of August. What a nice post to him :) I am sorry he is having difficulty with medical stuff….I didn’t know that. Children’s Hospital, if it’s anything like here in Boston, is probably one of the best. I wish you luck and will pray that everything will be ok. Persistance & patience is a tough road especially when it involves your baby. A day at a time ~ XO Jessica

2. Kait September 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Very sweet post! Hope you have a wonderful celebration with your family! It seems like yesterday my little man was that little and now two seconds later he is 9 years old! Sorry to hear Grayson has been feeling crummy- we’ll sure be thinking/praying for ya’ll!

3. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality September 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

Hi, girl! What a sweet, sweet post for your boy to read later on down the road. he is such a cutie. Glad to hear an update on what is going on with him & hope and pray for the best. Miss hanging out with ya’ll & hope we can do it again. xoxo Love ya!!

4. Deneen September 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Shaunna
    What a beautiful birthday boy you have! My prayers are with you as you take your journey to find some answers. God Bless!

5. rachel velazquez September 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

This was a very touching post. Happy Birthday to your little man! I am very sorry to hear he is having health issues, it is such a scary thing as a parent to not know what is wrong with your child. When my daughter was 5 she started having pains in her feet and legs to the point where she couldn’t walk she was in so much pain. After days in the hospital and many tests they said she had juvenile arthritis. Thankfully it wasn’t anything worse…and it has since gone away, but the worry for your child is so strong in times like that, it puts many things into perspective. I will be saying a prayer for your family.

Many Blessings
    Rachel

6. Dorothy September 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

What a little doll he is. Being a mom is hard, even in the best of times, isn’t it? You know you have all our support and love. Thank you for keeping us posted. xoxo

7. Brandy September 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Beautiful post from other to son. Happy Birthday to Grayson! I pray for strength for you all and that somehow God gives your little boy a sense of understanding that we adults barely have as well as peace. I also pray for crummy-less days ahead! God bless you and your family.

• Brandy September 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

“mother” to son

8. Libby Larson September 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

praying for your family. God is faithful and He promises to take care of us :) Libby

9. Lisa September 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

What a beautiful post about my grandson! Yes, he is adorable! And his birthday dinner was fun! Even the gummy worms! Tell him his “Nana and Papa” loves him and are always, always praying!

10. Jen September 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

What a lovely letter. Praying for your boy.

11. Delaney September 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

How sweet!

12. Catie September 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

Aww, that was soo sweet Shaunna. Happy Birthday to Grayson!! Hope you all had a great day together. = ) I also hope everything turns out ok. Happy to hear MS was ruled out. You’ll all be in my thoughts! Hugs!

13. Lauren September 28, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

What a sweet birthday letter to your little one! Hope he is feeling better — and that he had a wonderful birthday! Will definitely keep him and his health in our prayers! :)

14. Sharai September 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

Happy Birthday Grayson! What a sweet post, you are such a wonderful mother. I know that your son will feel loved and protected no matter what happens. This must be scary for ya’ll, I’ll say a prayer for him. Keep doing what you’re doing and he’ll shine just like his Momma :)

15. kiera September 29, 2011 at 6:59 am #

Happy Birthday Grayson!! Praying for him and especially for yall! I know mama’s worry so I’m praying for peace, patience, and good news soon! Love ya girl!

16. Stephanie September 29, 2011 at 7:12 am #

Happy Birthday Grayson! You and your family will be in my prayers! What a beautiful post.

17. Kathy September 29, 2011 at 7:27 am #

Happy birthday to your son. Saying a prayer for a diagnosis and to him feeling better soon

18. ashley @ the handmade home September 29, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Hey. Just wanted to say happy birthday to sweet Grayson. If it’s any comfort at all, Aiden had two MRI’s when he was about three, at the very same place, and it went just fine ;) he’s in great hands there. They may even have the very same doctor. You’re in good company and in our prayers.

19. farmhousetohome September 29, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Oh that just brought tears to my eyes. Your boy is beautiful! I love the way that you celebrate his uniqueness. Praying for health & peace.

20. Vonda L. September 29, 2011 at 7:51 am #

What a sweet love letter to your little one. Still praying for your family. The waiting game is very hard – I do know that first hand. My dear hubby was diagnosed with MS a few short years ago. I’m glad your little guy isn’t in that club. May God bless and keep you along the way.
    Psalm 91

21. Kacey September 29, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Happy (belated) birthday to Grayson! So sorry your family is going through this, Shaunna – and poor little Grayson. Will definitely add you guys to my prayers. My littlest guy is currently sitting on my lap and was asking lots of questions about ‘the boy in the Mickey Mouse shirt’ – he says he wants to pray for Grayson, too. Along with his dresser and his closet. (What can I say? He’s 3.)

Great big hugs to you-
    Kacey

• perfectlyimperfect October 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

HOW ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE, Kacey! And also such a testament to what he hears at home. And, of course, he would pray for his closet. :) Thank you guys so much! :-)

22. Centsational Girl September 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

SUCH a touching letter, I loved every word. My prayers are with you and your boy. I know the love that swells inside from a mama to her 5 year old boy. These are the best years.
    xoxo
    Kate

23. Collette Douglas September 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Hi Shaunna, I am not sure what symptoms Grayson has, but have you looked into the Feingold Diet? You can google it (I don’t want to post the link here for fear that it may be considered spam or some kind of solicitation, but just google the Feingold Association). Our has has gone entirely Feingold, and the differences in my two eldest children (and MYSELF!) have been phenomenal. I don’t want to pry into your already very emotional, very nerve-wracked business, I just want to offer my best bit of help. It has changed our lives, maybe it can play some small part in yours? Prayerfully, Collette

24. Jenny September 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Bless his heart, what a doll! He will be added to my prayers.

25. Layla September 30, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Happy Birthday to Grayson!!! :-D
    You KNOW we love that little dude, and we’ll be anxiously awaiting the word next Tuesday.
    You’re all in our prayers,
    K & L

26. kathy September 30, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

your post is inspiring, you have an adorable little boy, hope you get answers soon in your quest. All my worries seem small.

27. kelly October 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

prayers are with your beautiful son for good health and/or a diagnosis they can work with!

28. Dana October 2, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Happy birthday!
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who reads books in my undies….

29. Renee October 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Just catching up…beautiful letter…gorgeous kid.