the beach house: casual coastal meets hollywood regency

When mom and dad bought their current condo (formerly my grandparents’), we were simply thrilled to have a (FREE!) place to go for quick weekend getaways.  I grew up heading to Panama City Beach, so while I sometimes I dream of a house in Watercolor, we are perfectly content to enjoy this space with our little ones.

The only thing…it needs a little work.  I’ve shared photos before.  The living spaces are great…open with lots of windows to take in the view.  Even the paint is the perfect pale shade of gray in the living, kitchen, and dining room.  We have to update the furniture, and I’ve shared some inspiration for the living and dining spaces.

casual coastal style meets hollywood regency | perfectly imperfect

Our bedrooms, however, are dark with no ceiling lighting, and they’ll be needing some new paint.  I’m not so sure about the very fluorescent peach walls in our bedroom.  P.S.  Certain shades of peach I adore–but this one–in person is, well, tart.  Kind of sour…does that make sense?  We pretty much squint when we go in the room.

Because we need to update SO much at the condo, and we’re trying to stick to a budget, some things just have to stay.  In our bedroom, there’s a big hollywood regency vibe going on.  I have always loooveed the vintage blue velvet chairs, so they are staying.

So while I lean toward planked walls and warm woods, we’re going to fuse two styles together.

casual coastal style meets hollywood regency | perfectly imperfect

This way, I’ll get to enjoy a different style, and we’ll save bunches by keeping most of the existing furnishings.

photo red_bamboo_dresser_zpse2ab2ccc.jpg

source

We have a bamboo dresser and side tables, so they’ll be getting sleek makeovers.  I actually already painted them, but I’m going to seal them with some higher sheen varathane or lacquer.  I’ll keep you posted on what I choose to use.

photo bamboo_vanity_zpsa007f29f.jpg

source

photo kelly_green_dresser_zps42718ee9.jpg

source

We’ve chosen sleek lamps, and some metallic accents to play up the regency style in the room…

photo bamboo_chair_office_zps1d8db4b8.jpg

source

And I cannot wait to show you the desk corner!  It has a bamboo chair (currently sitting in my garage awaiting paint!), and a contemporary chrome desk.

photo black_bamboo_zpsa23fc377.jpg

source

I’d love nothing more than to hole up in that beach house and write and write and write and write…and well, write.

photo white_bamboo_chairs_turquoise_zpsa7a3cc4b.jpg

source

I absolutely love this shot (and I can’t seem to find the absolute original source?).  This outdoor space just makes me HAPPY.  And hey, look: more bamboo chairs!

photo green_pink_living_zpsb0c65779.jpg

source

How about you?  Ever play with another style to save some money in the budget?  I’m honestly really excited and looking forward to surrounding myself with a different kind of beauty.

Plus, I’m coo-coo for coco puffs over most design styles, anyway!

photo SMILEY_FACE_1.jpg

, , ,

13 Responses to the beach house: casual coastal meets hollywood regency

1. Marion June 5, 2013 at 10:46 am #

I am very close to my mom, but I know that if she bought a vacation condo and I called it “ours” or “mine” she would give me the smackdown. LOL!

• perfectlyimperfect June 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

haha, Marion! Well, I guess we’re a “ours” fam…plus, she’s graciously letting me go to (decorating) town in that one bedroom! :-)

2. Karen June 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

I love your normal style but mixing it up with some bright colors is wonderful! Good stuff…thanks for the inspiration!

3. krista June 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Do you know where the pillow was purchased from on the blue chair? I love the colors ;)

Thanks,
    Krista

• perfectlyimperfect June 6, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Hey Krista! It came from our shop…it might be listed online, but if not you can call 334-482-0215. :-)

4. Boucherie Beach June 6, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Awesome, you have the perfect holiday beach houses.

5. Painting Artist, Inc. June 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Now to just get my in-laws to get a condo like this! Great taste I love the color choices.

6. Ann June 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

We drove ‘thru’ Watercolor. It is like passing through a magazine. PC Beach has just as great weather. Enjoy and have fun!

7. Sim June 7, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Your beach house it`s great and the styles complete one with the other, don`t worry, you`ll save money and the result will be PERFECT.
    I would also love to write and write in your house beach :))

8. Elizabeth Vinson June 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Love your blog!! I just began my adventures in home decor and have recently begun refinishing old, rustic, fabulous flea market finds. I love bringing them back to life with new, vibrant colors!

You can check out my stuff here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThruEviesEyes?section_id=13727270

Keep the wonderful posts coming! :)

9. Helen G. Dickerson June 19, 2013 at 7:43 am #

What a beautiful beach house! Everything in it is awesome especially the color of the furniture.

10. monica June 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

welcome to Panama City Beach! I renovated a condo for some friends and infused some coastal cottage charm :) There are going to be some challenges in your future— like concrete walls. Our condo is at the Boardwalk (it’s http://www.vrbo.com/400137) and it’s also a work in progress. I was fortunate enough to work for the company that developed Watercolor in the early 2000′s, and I was able to go through most of the houses and was VERY inspired. Millwork is key in those homes. They all also pay out the ying yang for professional designers and furnishings. But they are beautiful! Enjoy your vacation and avoid pier park on the 4th (traffic is HORRIBLE), watching the fireworks from the white sandy beach is SO much better!

PS. Some local advice: cross the bridge and go to St. Andrews one evening for dinner. Hunt’s has the best oysters, but there are quite a few other restaurants there too. Uncle Ernie’s is a local favorite (grilled chicken melt is amazing), and Finn’s is getting popular too.

11. pcpowergames.blogspot.com.br September 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Hi! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!

Keep up the great work!