End Table Makeover using a Dry Wash Technique

**We sent this post out last week, but were having some issues, so let us know if you can see this post today!!*

Happy Friday, friends….I’m pumped for the weekend so we can finish up (maybe?) our guest bathroom redo.

There are so many projects I’m behind on sharing with you guys!

We painted so much furniture at the Vintage Market, and I have all of those pictures (somewhere) waiting to be edited. And during the whole first six months of craziness at the shop, we worked on lots of things at the house–and it’s time I dig all of them out of iPhoto & plop them out here on the www.

I’m obsessed with round end tables–of all styles. I’m not sure why, but I just am. There are so many new styles we’d love to carry in our shop, but most times the reclaimed style we love is sooo expensive. You guys know how I feel about investment decor, but an end table doesn’t have to cost $400. I’m not saying I’d never buy one (if I saved for it), but I’m saying that’s a purchase that can easily be DIY’d or up-cycled from a thrifty find.

In comes this neo-classical end table mom found.

photo whole_table_zpsf8e9c039.jpg

I’m thrilled with how it turned out. The finish relaxes the style a bit, and makes it more relevant in a casual home. I knew I was going for a washed look, so I used Chalk Paint(R) in French Linen & Pure White–I’ll explain how I achieved the finish in just a sec.

photo vintage_wood_top_zps82a7373f.jpg

The grain of the wood is beautiful, so for now, I left the original stain, but I’ll probably eventually strip and re-stain the top.

photo dry_wash_zpsa7084379.jpg

This finish was created using a “dry-wash” technique…

I painted the the base coat in Pure White and let dry. I then painted the top coat in French Linen (this is more sheer since it’s one coat of the topcoat color), and let dry.

With a very damp (almost wet) smooth cloth, I rubbed the top coat down to the white to create the “wash.” The cool thing about this technique is it creates so much texture and interest, and looks a little more aged than a “wet” wash (diluting paint down to cover another color).

This original finish was very glossy, so occasionally while I was wiping down the topcoat, I’d pull paint all the way off, which I loved, so I went with it. And psst….this technique creates a lot of texture, but it almost hardens the paint, so that it’s super smooth to the touch (and so far, I’ve left it unwaxed for a few months & it’s holding up great!).

photo table_throw_zps9269d094.jpg

I swapped out the classical hardware for a bone-china knob from Hobby Lobby, and we were done!

photo table_puppies_zps31f5390c.jpg

I haven’t decided if I’m keeping it or selling it in the shop…it’s nice to have a round table (finally!), but I don’t know, I lean towards eventually letting it go.

I tend to get the notion to switch things out from time to time, if you haven’t picked up on my insatiable too-many-projects-disorder.

We’ll see.

photo SMILEY_FACE_1.jpg

, , ,

14 Responses to End Table Makeover using a Dry Wash Technique

1. Cheryl @ Living Design June 18, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Yes, the post is visible!

Love this table, and what you’ve done with it! It’s nice to see some of the original wood stain, while still lightening it for your decorating style.

2. Meg June 18, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Love this so much
    The colour is perfect
    Can’t wait to try

3. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces June 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Visible and beautiful! I have a thing for tables too! I’m trying to bust my stash though…that way I can shop again! :o )

4. Jen June 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

This looks amazing. I was just wondering about doing the exact same thing so I’m going to go for it now…thanks for the info!

5. Judy M. June 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Great job with the table So Pretty! As far as your site, when I click over it appears and then vanishes and comes back. This has been happening for some time and does not happen with any other blogs I read.

6. Lisa M June 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Yeah! I have a table like this in the back of the closet, So glad the post worked! YIPPEE! Can’t wait to get started!

7. Debora Cadene June 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

I love what you’ve done to it. You never disappoint on any of the projects you share with us, and I thank you for that. I am really really wanting to try the ASCP. I was wondering where the closest paint dealer would be to International Falls MN? or to Bemiji MN????
    thank you again.

8. Tammie June 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

This is a super cute table! Great job!

9. Amy@TheBlissfulBee June 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Perfection! Would love for you to share at my {Work it Wednesday} Link Party!!

xo
    amy

10. Maureen June 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Love it! Funny how the new knob also changes the whole “feel” of the table from formal to casual. Thanks for the advice!

11. sarah June 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I love the table..So pretty~love the two toned look.
    Sarah

12. gabrielle June 18, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

I just got your post!

I really want to experiment with your “rubbed wash” technique – I can’t wait to play with it!

BTW, I also have a round end table obsession – I keep them in a room, waiting their turn. There is the odd square shape, but mostly round… AND I DON’T KNOW WHY! :-)

13. Elisabeth June 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

I love it! It sounds pretty easy to do, too, and that’s a big plus in my book. Great job, Shaunna!

14. Jennifer November 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Your table is gorgeous. I love the finish!