trip to market january 2013

We survived.

Market is not for the faint of heart.  Or of foot.

P.S.  A few of you have asked where this magical “market” is…we go to AmericasMart in Atlanta, Georgia, to choose from hundreds of wholesale lines to carry in our shop.  We specifically will go to the Home & Gift Market in January and July.

There was no hauling the 7D around, so I’ll share some Instagram pics we shared throughout the week.

market | perfectly imperfect

Our day began early on Wednesday morning, complete with a breakfast of champions.  I had one appointment scheduled to begin our trip, and I’m so glad I did.  We may write a separate post for small business owners/tips for market, as I’m already learning a lot from my trips there.

market | perfectly imperfect

Nothing like a good traffic jam to start your day.

market | perfectly imperfect

Or a good line.

Here’s where I digress:  Market is crazy.  Like, can’t-breathe-walk-shoulder-to-shoulder-crazy.

market | perfectly imperfect

Sara, Natalie, & my mom

Luckily, I had these gals to help me wade through the crazy.  We made all of our appointments & scouted all day, everyday, for 3 days.  My brain and my feet inevitably grew tired and weary, and just when I thought we were done, Matt decided to take a quick trip up with the kids.  Sara was kind enough to keep them for us while Matt and I finished up and I showed him all the new lines on day 4.

Did I mention I’m exhausted?

market | perfectly imperfect

But, man, am I inspired.

And I may have bought that couch in Driftwood Linen.

market | perfectly imperfect

I could not be more thrilled with all the newness coming to the shop!  We found some gorgeous furniture, added Dash & Albert Rugs, and scooped up all kinds of smalls to add to the shop in Troy & online (hope that launches soon!).

market | perfectly imperfect

Some of my favorite finds were these French towels, made in a little town outside of Paris.  Oh, they are sooo soft and beautiful and stripe-y.

Eventually, we got really giggly and my brain turned to mush and I could hardly think much less add.

market | perfectly imperfect

Especially Natalie and I.  We may have violently snorted/laughed a shade every night before falling into bed.

market | perfectly imperfect

Love, love our reps…Hi, Mike!

But mostly, we put our thinking caps on, and we oohed and ahhed and weighed and measured and ultimately, bought lots of new product we think you’ll love.  I honestly cannot wait for these boxes to come in–I may be even more excited than I was for our grand opening day!

I know we walked at least 20 miles.  I know we said, “Oh, that’s cute!” 35 million times.

I know I can’t wait to tackle this new year in retail and online.

market | perfectly imperfect

Oh, and we definitely got to eat from a GIANT parm wheel.

Worth the trip, I tell you.

, ,

19 Responses to trip to market january 2013

1. Michelle January 13, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Oh how I wish I lived closer to you and your shop. The products that you carry in your store are exactly my taste. I have such a hard time finding things for our home because we live in a small town in Pa and stores are very limited. I have to drive a good 30 plus miles to get to a half descent shopping area. The internet and I have become pretty good friends. Maybe when we are traveling South I can persuade my husband to stop so I can take a look around your wonderful store. I’m excited to see the new products you bought for your store at the market. It looks like it was a fun but exhausting trip.

Happy New Year!

2. Ruth in NZ January 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

I would love to accompany you to a market like that! I would really enjoy the looking bit but the deciding what to buy bit would be my idea of a nightmare! Good thing I’m stuck here in New Zealand just enjoying looking through your eyes! How privileged we are to live in a time and setting where we have the luxury and freedom to produce and enjoy such beauty.

3. Nikki Dahl January 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

It sounds exhausting but exciting at the same time, you must go in there with a vision/plan of styles you want to have! I look forward to Small Business owners tips! :)

4. diane@sweeteuropeandreams.com January 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Market is fantastic! I remember trailing along with my mom when I was in college. That first trip to market was a career changer for me! Totally exhausting, but so much fun as well. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

5. Ashley Ez January 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Man, I used to be the brand manager for a wholesale line (that is from alabama, btw!) and these pictures bring me back! I did all kinds of fun things (mostly things that did not directly involve our customers, but also) including getting the samples ready for market, talking on the phone and through email and developing relationships with some of our lovely boutique owners, and sometimes packing and shipping some of the giant orders that were placed. Its just as exciting to pack your purchase as it must be to open it and get it all out in the store!

6. Susan January 14, 2013 at 6:04 am #

I hope you did buy that couch.. It’s quite perfect! Sounds like you had loads of fun…

7. Kristi January 14, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Love your blog! Working hard to start my own small shop near Tampa, Fl. Would love to read your tips on the market!

8. Jan January 14, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Love the couch, I want one!

9. Monica January 14, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Sounds pretty overwhelming – I look forward to your post for business owners!

10. Nicky January 14, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Thanks for explaining what “going to market” entails. Can’t wait to see what you bought!

11. JenO January 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

How fun! I have been to market once. Can’t even remember how I got to go. I can’t wait to come down and see the new things in the shop. I have started a new decorating budget for our house. I think you and I will be seeing even more of each other this year. There is also a really cool “frenchy” booth at Eastbrook Flea market that I’ve been checking out. You should check it out the next time you are in Montgomery. Looks like all is going well!

12. Connie Nikiforoff Designs January 14, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

One of our sons is stationed in Germany. He and his wife spent Christmas in Paris. I may have to get them to send some French towels back to me. Those look very inspiring.

13. Elisabeth January 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

I’m sure I would have the hardest time staying within my budget; there’s probably so many inspirational displays! But it definitely looks like a lot of fun!!

14. Mandy January 15, 2013 at 7:06 am #

I would love to hear the tips also, and I would love to get more information of that sofa, I want one!!!!!

15. Sandra January 15, 2013 at 8:55 am #

I can’t wait to make a trip down once you get the new merchandise in. It all looks delicious!

16. Sharon January 16, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Love the sofa so nice. Looks like you had lots of fun.

17. Janet Wehrer January 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I am determined to come give you a hug and browse around your shop even though I live in Texas. I have been following you a long time. I remember some of the first
    things I read about you were when you were telling about some high school experiences.

I really want to go to S.Carolina so I am going to work a trip across Louisiana, Mississippi, and then Troy,Alabama.

Are you at the shop everyday?

• perfectlyimperfect January 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

Hey Janet! You are so very sweet. I’m not…so if you are coming…leave me a comment on the most recent post or message me on Facebook and I’ll be sure to plan to be there! :-)

• Francisco August 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Dear Shauna,

I have a few Q’s on HPM! We are starting a new furniture and home decor store in Guatemala. We are visiting HPM in October for the first time and I have some doubts. Should I send you a private message or should I ask here? Just a few, this would be incredibly helpful!!

Thanks!