Christmas in the Foyer

We have thoroughly enjoyed decorating for Christmas this year.  I am actually hosting my whole family on the big day, and I’m honored and thrilled.

We love to entertain, but needless to say, we don’t always get to do so much of that anymore with little ones.

I’ve found I’m putting touches of Christmas in every room, and I probably will keep doing so until Christmas Eve.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

This year, we’re sticking to our simple and natural decorations, using lots of metallics and white with bright pops of red.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

Yes, we have snow on our floor.  Yes, it’s messy.  Yes, my kids have rearranged it all many times.

Yes, I’m crazy.

But it’s fun.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

I wanted our entry to feel really casual and collected, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

The fake snow makes it, I think.

P.S.  I’m not sure you guys have even seen this piece of furniture in my house, have you?  We got it at a yard sale last year for $100…it sold originally from a very fancy shop in Birmingham…one of my favorites.

I learned this trick from my friend Evan G. Cooper….only use the matte snow.  No shiny flakes, please.

Everything else we had on hand already.  I used a glass cloche over a pedestal (Pottery Barn) to hold sheet-music wrapped candles and a sprig or two of rosemary.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

I love the whimsy the vintage spindle “trees” bring to the vignette.  The large mercury glass planter was a Pottery Barn gift from last year, and the smaller votives came from my cousin’s shop, La Bella Vita, last year, too.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

I couldn’t resist a little bokeh shot.

On the other side of the chest, I piled vintage books, twine, and another mercury glass votive together to complete the collected look.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

Our “letters to santa” ornament made the table this year.  It’s normally on the tree, and we fill it every year with wishes.  It’s been said that Christmas elves sneak in to take the mail to Santa, and every morning the kids rush to see if the letters have been whisked magically away.

I love Christmas.

Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas | Perfectly Imperfect

I am dying to get out in the blogosphere to check out Christmas posts everywhere…if you have posted about your decor, would you pretty please leave me a link??  I cannot wait to check them out and post some of my favorites!!

, , ,

32 Responses to Christmas in the Foyer

1. Angie December 13, 2012 at 9:20 am #

That’s a very cool piece. Looks great all Christmas’ed up!
    I love looking at everyone’s decorations, too.
    Here’s a link to mine :)

-Angie

ps – I’m guess I’m crazy, too. Christmas and kids and messy just go together. Love it.

2. Monica December 13, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Shaunna- As always it looks amazing! We have the same letters to santa ornament and I’m loving how you used it in the foyer- much more visible.

We used faux snow last year and it was a big hit! Messy and crazy = awesome.

Here’s my Christmas home tour, Jess’ is tomorrow!

You’re the Best!
    Monica

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Thanks, girl! SO funny…our kids love ours! And thank you for the links!

3. Amber December 13, 2012 at 9:50 am #

So pretty! I love those types of furniture pieces, we have several in our home. Decorating this year was tricky with six-month-old quadruplets (yes, *four* babies!!) in the house, but I’m relishing all the ornaments on the tree as next year they might all be cluttered up on the top half of the tree away from wondering hands. :) I’ll have my Christmas decor post up shortly! bellsandkilts.blogspot.com

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Hey Amber, thank you! Oh, my, FOUR babies! Congratulations, and you just enjoy them!

4. Sausha @ Sweet Pickins December 13, 2012 at 10:01 am #

I LOVE your dresser! I really, really love the worn look of the wood- very cozy!! And your fake snow is awesome! I havent shopped for it for a while – but i cant remember seeing any “matte” snow? I will have to find me some :)

Anyways, just finished up my mantle and posted about it here! I made a HUGE wreath from vintage ornaments – Love it!

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks, girl! Got my snow at walmart and hobby lobby–if you see it beside the shiny stuff, you’ll see a difference. :-) Thanks for the links!

5. Pam @ Simple Details December 13, 2012 at 10:38 am #

I agree you’re crazy ~ crazy FUN!! It’s all perfectly rustic and festive!

• katie December 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Wow-that is awesome! I wish all of you happy holidays and a Merry Christmas! God bless you having four babies at once. I give you alot of credit girl!!!

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

haha, thanks Pam!

6. Mimi December 13, 2012 at 11:26 am #

I love the word art over the chest and the letters to Santa is such an adorable idea!

7. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline December 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

gorgeous as always Shauna! we haven’t and aren’t really doing all that much in the decor department this year but here’s a peek at our tree:

and an ikea pillow sham holiday upstyle I did and am really happy with:

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Thank you, Jess! I can’t wait to check out your links!

8. Connie Nikiforoff Designs December 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Since we’re in a different house this year (after 25 years in our other one!) I got a little crazy with Christmas decorating! But what great fun to Celebrate the Reason
    for the Season! Here are my links

9. katie December 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

I think you paid to much for your new piece of furniture and just because it sells in Birmingham doesnt mean it is worth more. I do not think aNYONE ON THESE BLOGS CARES About high priced furniture or clothes from Pottery Barn. This is for people that want their house to look good on a budget . That is your majority of readers. It looks nice though.

• perfectlyimperfect December 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Hey Katie,
      Thanks for your comment…I sure didn’t say it to boast on the place…only that I love the shop and was excited to find a piece that I would have normally paid way more for. Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas! :-)

10. Baileywife December 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

I have a perfectly “imperfect tree this year…and love how it turned out…

Love your snow!!! ~Kim

11. tiffini December 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

first of all…I love the dresser. We are looking for something for our living room and I want it to be wood
    second..i love the snow..how fun for the kids and just an out of the box thing for you to do. Great memory girl:)
    xo

12. Flower Patch Farmgirl December 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

I’ll be right over to frolic in that pretty fluff! Very pretty. :)

13. sarah k December 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

How fun for the kids, A very beautiful scene..I have posted some pics of our home on the blog..hope you visit. Merry Xmas to you.

14. Elisabeth December 14, 2012 at 8:00 am #

I only have Christmas decorations in the living/family room and kitchen. I’ve never tried to incorporate it everywhere.

Here’s a few links to my decorating this year.

15. Kris {Driven by Décor} December 14, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Shaunna, your house looks beautiful – you do rustic elegance like no other! Love the fake snow – where do you buy matte snow?! I’m a bit late to the game in getting my Christmas decorating done but I finally took some pics and threw up a post this morning – here’s the link if you want to check it out: http://www.drivenbydecor.com/2012/12/holiday-decorating-diy-star-anise.html

16. Holli Anne December 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

I am seriously going to need to get some of that fake snow in my house next year. If we can’t have white Christmas down in the south, I can at least have it in my house, right?!

17. Melissa from the Blue House December 15, 2012 at 6:01 am #

Oh man, I LOVE that sign. Did you mention where you got it and I missed it somehow?

18. Holly F December 15, 2012 at 6:08 am #

I have snow on my floor too, it’s called yellow lab fur!! Grin.
    Love your decor and Merry Christmas!!

19. Layla December 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

PRETTY! :-D And as for me and my house, we’re okay with the shiny stuff, too. ;-) #EGC

20. Emily December 17, 2012 at 8:33 am #

I LOVE the vignettes you’ve created. And the sentiment on the sign is perfect! When my littlest is no longer putting everything in her mouth, I think I’ll scatter some faux snow. What a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!
    I’d love for you to stop by for a peek into my place: http://wp.me/p2svot-ix
    Merry Christmas!

21. Ronda December 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Hi Shaunna, I’m enjoying reading about all your many endeavors! I can’t believe all that you are doing. I would be pulling out my hair!! Although I must admit I am rather jealous as it is all stuff that I would love to be doing!

Here is the link to my blog where you will find some various pics of my Christmas decorating. I am especially proud of my new projects– the painted pillow, the burlap stockings, the burlap tree skirt and the painted vintage sled–www.justprimenough.blogspot.com

Merry Christmas!!

22. Taylor Roberts December 20, 2012 at 9:31 am #

I love the ideas you shared and I think I still have some time to try one or two of them before Christmas! I do have some to share with you too :)

If you want more holiday tips check this one out:

23. Alisa December 26, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Love your holiday decorations! Hope you & your family had a wonderful Christmas :)
    If you have a few minutes I’d love for you to check out my decorations, link below.

Alisa