day 22: the shop counter

Matt finished the shop counter!

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

It only took him a couple of nights, and I am so proud of it and him!

We were really going for an antique vibe–clean lines and lots of planks.

But we also wanted bar height for the ease of our customers, so we built the outside to look one height like an old shop counter.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

P.S. When I say “we” I totally mean Matt.

You can see that we have a tall counter height on the inside (for those of us who are crazy tall), plus a small desk to the left.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

I think he did a marvelous job on this piece…now I have to work up the gumption to paint it.

I’m rolling a few treatments around in my head, but I’d love to know what y’all think.  How would YOU finish this beauty?

**************************

this post was written in a 31 Day series to opening our shop. Find the rest of the posts here.

, ,

27 Responses to day 22: the shop counter

1. Lisa October 22, 2012 at 7:53 am #

This coming along so well! Thanks for sharing, enjoy the journey!

2. Betsy(@coastal-colors) October 22, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Looks wonderful! I know you’re exhausted and exhilarated! The shop looks great! It will be a big hit!

3. Shari @ Turnstyle Vogue October 22, 2012 at 8:01 am #

He did a wonderful job! Since you are going for a vintage look, I’d first age it with a vinegar/steel wool treatment and then either do a wash with Old White or some MMS milk paint in Linen or Grain Sack. :)

4. Anna@agoodhome October 22, 2012 at 8:19 am #

I think this would be an amazing spot to bring together the 3 Chalk Paint colors you’ve used throughout the space: Pure White insets, French Linen Trim, and then I think it would look WONDERFUL if you stenciled or freehanded a big “PI” logo/lettering in Aubusson Blue in the center inset on each side. Then dark wax that baby to bring out all that gorgeous wood texture Matt worked so hard on!

So, that’s my idea :)

5. Kristin October 22, 2012 at 8:26 am #

French Linen is my favorite Chalk Paint™ color, so I’m partial to bringing it in somewhere on the counter. Especially since you’ve used it elsewhere, like Anna pointed out. Can’t wait to see it!

6. Angela October 22, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Shaunna, I have no suggestions, I am a copier not a creator! I just wanted to say, the place looks so awesome. I’m very happy for you and hope some day I find myself walking into your store. Can hardly wait to see it all finished.

7. mary beth October 22, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Wow! You need to bake that man a cake! or somethin! It looks so perfect and once you get your hands on it, it will be over the top…can’t wait to see what you do to bring it to it’s full glory! sorry I don’t have any color suggestions, I would agonize for months over what to use :(

8. Sandra October 22, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Time to quote a fantastic furniture creator – “I sit with a piece or an idea a while, and then I paint it as I’ve imagined it in my head.” I know it will look great! P.S. Matt gets a gold star.

9. Beja {Howdy-Honey} October 22, 2012 at 9:45 am #

HOW cool! I love this series. It coincides with my opening of my boutique at the first Justin Trade Days in the middle of the country, North of Fort Worth. Just had to leave you a comment instead of being a phantom visitor. I’m so inspired!

10. Sarah October 22, 2012 at 10:38 am #

It looks fantastic! Would be great in Aubusson : )

11. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline October 22, 2012 at 11:40 am #

that looks like an awesome work space! i second the vinegar/steel wool. maybe Rustoleums sunbleached stain too!

here’s our experimenting with them!

12. GIN October 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

First coat: Emperor’s Silk
    Second coat: Duck Egg
    Third coat: Dry-brushed Old White

Distress thoroughly. End result looks like a weathered children’s toy.

ps…The shop will be great!

13. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof October 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Everything is looking good Miss Shaunna! So happy for you and your new adventure. So exciting :)

14. Baileywife October 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

I would add those barnwood planks like the ones in your upstairs room! ~Kim

15. Tiffini October 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Wow! Way to go Matt!! I cannot wait to see how you paint it:)

16. Trish Ford October 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Looks good just with a stain on it too! But I’m sure whatever you do – will turn out gorgeous!

17. AB October 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Love the counter! Same color as the built-ins behind it then black on top, then distressed–marrying the counter to the chalkboard wall behind it makes it look like a room with in a room. White so it floats and you can hang signs, decor, wreaths on it. Or I LOVE the painted plank idea!! Yes!! Do that:)

18. Traci Niese October 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

I would paint it to look like old, weathered barn wood – something gray/white/brownish. Thinking a combo of French Linen/Paris Grey, Old White, and Coco!
    Especially since you used the planks – love it!

19. Katy October 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I would do it up like Sarah Richardson’s lake house kitchen. It would keep you interested and display lots of colors and techniques. She used found wood, but I think you could easily imitate the look.

20. Jamie K October 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

OOh make it look like your wall of boards….the slant wall you did at your house..lovely!

21. Janet October 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

It looks gorgeous! Love the progress pictures and can’t wait to see everything when you’re finished.

22. Candice Kovacs October 23, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Hi Shaunna, I would suggest putting one sort of wood moulding on each panel and then it will give it a bit more detail, especially for when you paint it. Keep the mouldings simple -it will give it an old English look! Love you work, always get inspired when I refer to your blog!!

23. Candice Kovacs October 23, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Hi Shaunna, I would suggest putting some sort of wooden moulding on each panel and then it will give it a bit more detail, especially for when you paint it. Keep the mouldings simple -it will give it an old English look! Love your work, always get inspired when I refer to your blog!!

24. sherri October 23, 2012 at 11:19 am #

I would just paint the planks in something like graphite or primer red and stain the panels.

25. Layla October 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

You know waaaaay more about finish-y stuff that I do, and whatever you decide to do, it’s sure to be out-of-this-world lovely! :-D

26. statia October 25, 2012 at 7:30 am #

I love it. Did you guys use plans or did you draft it up yourself? We (meaning me, but I’ll drag the hubs into it too, ha!) want to build a bar in our basement as part of our entertainment space, so I’ve been looking online at plan ideas.

I love that you burn the candle at both ends and are honest enough to admit how it’s impossible to do everything. I have rogue stuff all over my house (like damp sheets hanging on the banister upstairs), it makes me nuts, but there aren’t enough hours in the day. Nevermind the long list of projects.

27. Gotch from Plush Rugs March 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

the shop counter looks awesome, you did a great job.