day 13: the ceiling progress

Well, the ceiling is a gem.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

Once we removed the drop-down tiles, then the first layer of linoleum tiles, you may remember we uncovered an original tin ceiling.  But we also uncovered boards that were nailed ALL over the tin.  Meaning when the boards came down, the old ceiling just couldn’t hold up.

So, down the tin came.  We’ll either sell them as is or we’ll do something fun with them in the future for the shop.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

After we began removing the tin, things got a little messy…

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

Between boards, gravel insulation, and layers of regular insulation, it was an out of control disaster house.

But things are lookin’ up.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

And if you look really up, you’ll see what I saw…

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

a beautiful wooden A-frame ceiling.

Some of you have asked…we will probably leave the metal grid up so we can re-insulate if heating and air costs are too high exposing these 20 foot ceilings.  It still looks pretty amazing & industrial as is, and we are planning to add inexpensive spotlights up top so you can see the beauty of those beams.

We also won’t run all 127 fluorescent lights.

I think we can come up with some pretty chandeliers and pendants instead.

P.S. We’ll take some real pictures for you soon after the flooring is laid–without the fluorescent lights of death turned on.

*****************************

This post was written in a series, 31 Days to OPEN.  Click here to find them all.

, ,

11 Responses to day 13: the ceiling progress

1. Baileywife October 13, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Absolutely amazing! I was worried that {ugly} drop ceiling was staying! Whew! :)
    You are ONE LUCKY LADY….so much fun watching your 31 Days!!! ~Kim

2. Lesley October 13, 2012 at 7:12 am #

Wow what an amazing find. I hope the utility costs are too out of hand b/c that looks like it would be beautiful once you put your touches on it.

3. Suzy October 13, 2012 at 8:19 am #

You may want to talk to an electrician about those lights. It’s my understanding that fluorescent bulbs are no longer manufactured and they are just selling off current inventories. Rebates on replacing the lights end at the end if the year.

4. Lynda October 13, 2012 at 8:23 am #

I’m loving watching all your progress. The brick wall is gorgeous. It’s too bad the tin ceiling tiles had the wood nailed to them, but at least you can reuse them – make great things out of them – frames, magnet boards. Congratulations on going for your dreams!

5. Kellie October 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Watching the progress is fun!

Has the building been checked for asbestos and lead paint? I’m a bit concerned about all of the demolition. :)

6. julie October 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Oh my! What a huge job that ceiling turned out to be. I’m getting tired just reading your posts! (Now I don’t feel so bad about having to do a little yard work today, lol) Wish you MUCH luck in your business endeavor. It’s people like you who give the rest of us the courage to go after our dreams. :)

7. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles October 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Ok, I’m feeling a little scared now- wow, that’s a lot of stuff coming down! Saying a little prayer for you! :)

8. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage October 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Wowza! That ceiling is quite a task—and what a mind numbing number of lights! Keep on keepin’ on! Enjoying watching your progress.

9. Jordan October 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Watching your process and progress is such fun!

10. knack October 14, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Hey girl! I have been keeping up with all of your shop progress, and get so excited when I see a blog update from perfectly imperfect in my inbox! :}

I am so excited to see that you are opening your own shop, and it looks like you chose a space with great potential and possibilities. Love the storefront, the brick walls, the chalkboard wall, and now the exposed beams. My current studio does not have the exposed beams, but several of my friends studios around me have those amazing exposed beams! It looks so great……and as far as I know their heating and air bills are just fine! I love the old buildings, and their great character!

Congrats!

11. Izabella Fabrizio October 16, 2012 at 7:30 am #

… I’m thinking that if you painted out that white grid a black, or some dark colour… you wont notice it as much :) and if you do have to put those tiles back up, you can always faux them with some patterns ;) it could look amazing ! Good luck, I love your work !