Ava’s Painted Floors

Well, way back when in the middle ages, I decided to make over Ava’s room.

This was BEFORE we took her crib down, and the plan was to transition straight into a big-girl room.

I’ve found with both kids this gets them all excited about being in their own big beds–which coincides nicely during the time they start experience I-Can’t-Be-Without-Mommy-Even-For-A-Second Syndrome.

It’s real, people.

The big beds help.

So, basically, we set up the big bed, mismatched bedding and all.  We left the rocker in…well, we left everything in but the crib.

And the room sat.

And sat.

And sat.

Until I snapped and we decided we couldn’t take the pink abyss any longer.  We pulled everything out of the room, pulled down the beautiful curtains my mom made (that are staying), and Matt pulled down the shelf he built for the room 6 years ago when a baby named Gray made our duo a trio.

Little did I know, after we painted the room 2 coats of Chalk Paint™ in Pure White, Matt and our good buddy, John, ripped up the (gross) carpet and pad.  I walked into a blank slate Friday morning.

This is where I digress.

When I say, “we,” I mean me, Matt, & John with guest appearances by Natalie and Anna Lauson.  Matt truly wanted to finish this project over the weekend, and while that was what we all wanted…it was a little taxing.

Why, you say?

Well, Matt and I decided we hate bending over to work–like rolling paint on the white pine floors we were laying.  Plus, we’d be on our knees cutting in.  Plus…there was the issue of the stripe, so we would have had to paint it all white, then tape off, then paint the gray stripes.

We (brightly) thought we’d save so much time by painting all the boards beforehand.

And maybe we did.

All I know is I’m now conditioned to shed tears when I look at a 6 inch foam roller.

150 + boards later, (well, Matt started working as we painted), Matt began laying the floor.  We chose to lay our unfinished white pine (about $1 per square foot) directly on the concrete.

You’ll need to test your concrete for moisture with one of these, and from what we understand, anything that averages out to around 6% will be just fine.  If your concrete foundation has more moisture than that, you’ll either have to lay a plywood sub-flooring or stick with laminate.  Ours averaged out between 6-8%, and after talking to the guys at Lumber Liquidators, we chose to live on the wild side and go for it.

Here’s a little video we did for ya…

Things got a little tense later on.

This is John.

John doesn’t know much about my blog.  In fact, he probably never reads it.

He does, however, always seem to know that I never mention him.

So here ya go.

Hi, John.

All joking aside, he and Matt worked like dogs on this room.

When it all was said and done, and Sunday night rolled around, here’s how the floor turned out.

how to paint floors | perfectly imperfect

We used Chalk Paint again…why not?  I was really curious to see how it would hold up, and I loved the idea of the soft finish it would lend.  We used Pure White and a mix of French Linen (3 parts Pure White to 1 part French Linen).  I looove the way the gray turned out.  It is exactly what I pictured in my mind.

how to paint floors | perfectly imperfect

While painting, I also sealed the floor with a coat of Annie Sloan’s lacquer.  I’ve never used this product before, and let me just say, I LOVE it.  It reminds me so much of the varathane I used to use before my love affair with Chalk Paint began.

The boards are perfectly rustic, and I absolutely love the way they turned out!

P.S.  We bought New England White Pine Flooring from Lumber Liquidators, at $1.09 per square foot, bringing our total to $330.  There is a lot left to finish before the big reveal, but we are so happy with such a budget-friendly choice and LOVE our new flooring!

And I’ve got a little girl who just might agree.

51 Responses to Ava’s Painted Floors

1. Traci September 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Love those, Shaunna! I love seeing this because I am contemplating painting the wood floors in one of my boys’ rooms. I love painted wood.
    good job!

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Do it, Traci! I really LOVE how they turned out. I’m sure they would look beautiful in your dreamy cottage!

• Chris March 8, 2013 at 8:02 am #

what a transformation! So bright, crisp and contemporary. I love it.

2. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof September 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

I love it Shaunna! Especially the price. Holy smokes that is fabulous :) Cracking me up with all the boards in the middle of your house! haha

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Thanks, Jessica! I know, right? And yes, boards (among other things) were covering the house for days. It was quite the hoarders experience.

3. Chris September 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

It’s incredible, my friend!!! I. love. it. Can’t wait to see it all finished!

4. cyndi September 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Fabulous floor! Can’t wait to see the rest!

5. Rachel VanHook September 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

I JUST painted our hallway and kids’ room floor (both hardwood) with the chalkpaint and LOVE it. I didn’t purchase the lacquer…decided just to put a coat of polyurethane on it. So far no yellowing and it is wearing GREAT! It’s been a few weeks and I’ve mopped it a ton already. I love your stripes!!! My hallway is a grey and white diamond pattern….totally changes the look of your home!

6. Jennifer Rizzo September 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

They look gorgeous!!! I can’t wait to rip the carpet out of my girl’s room!!!

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Thanks, girl! Do it, NOW. You won’t regret it, for sure!

7. Anna-Ruth Murphy September 11, 2012 at 5:47 am #

I used chalk paint to paint my (gross) Mexican tile in my laundry room. It came out great and is holding up to the abuse.. Your floor came out amazing!

8. Erin @ How to Nest for Less September 11, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Wow, absolutely gorgeous!

9. Dana Tucker September 11, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Love the way your floors turned out. We love and use Chalk Paint ALOT! I’m just curious why you would choose to use it on the walls? Were you looking for the chalky texture for the walls? We really like acrylic latex paints for walls. Just curious. Thanks.

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Hey Dana! This room gets a TON of western light…meaning it’s quite reflective after lunchtime. It also casts a yellow glow, and therefore any sheen on the finish really isn’t flattering. Plus, we have a whole garage-full of chalk paint! :-)

10. Lisa~ September 11, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Really Shaunna (and Matt, John et al), I am just AWESTRUCK! That floor is the best thing I have seen since I fell in love with my gym lockers 2 years ago. I must try Annie Sloan paint. MUST! Lisa~

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Thank you, my friend! We LOVE ‘em, too. And yes, you totally should!

11. Kirsten@madeforaking September 11, 2012 at 8:19 am #

You have one very lucky little girl to be growing up in such a gorgeous bedroom!! I absolutely love it, really. It is so cute!

12. Leen September 11, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Absolutely gorgeous!! I was in Lowe’s over the weekend and found white washed wood flooring that I fell in love with but at $8.99 a square foot it was way out of my budget and I wasn’t sure if we could adhere it to our cement pad. I should have known you would save the day for me :)

PS. if John wants to come over and help us, I’ll blast his name and pic all over the blog :)

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

LOL, Leen, I’ll absolutely tell him. He’d be thrilled.

13. Meg September 11, 2012 at 11:23 am #

So beautiful! I’ve painted all of my furniture white or grey :)
    Does the lacquer completely seal it? Are dirt stains, shoe prints etc easy to clean up once its sealed?

• perfectlyimperfect September 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

It should, Meg. I really haven’t used it on floors yet, but I’ve heard wonderful things about it. Holding up well so far, and the kids have already been abusing it.

14. Nancy Mueller September 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Wonderful, oh so wonderful!! And Affordable…..very sweet!
    Nancy

15. elaine owens September 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

i think your husband and his buddy JOHN are great sports!!!

16. Crystal September 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

This is just GORGEOUS!!! Can’t wait to see more :o)

17. Katie September 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Ummmmm, that floor is AMAZiNG! And, we are on a slab and I keep wondering what route we should take – subfloor or glue!?!?! Glad you mentioned the acceptable moisture percentage. Didn’t know that!? Thanks for sharing and glad I’m following your blog!

18. Sandra September 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Oh, I love it. I wish it was my bedroom! :). You have such a great team that works with you and willing to help you out on these projects. I can’t wait to see the big reveal.

19. Jamie Rowe September 12, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Looks amazing! You are so lucky to have so many helpers. I need your drive to complete some projects. I finally hung my son’s blind up and felt like that was a major accomplishment lol.

• perfectlyimperfect September 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

LOL, Jamie!!! I know what you mean..that’s how we roll, too. Thank you!! :-)

20. Tiffini September 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

one word

AMAZING:)

xo

21. Caroline September 14, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Love love love! Is this something that can be done over wooden subfloors??

22. Kimberly Falls September 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Ava’s floors look amazing! I just recently painted my hardwood floors in my foyer with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White and love the way it turned out and it seems to be very durable with the coat of Varathane I used over it.

23. darlene September 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I love the floors!!! can you tell me how many coats of chalk paint and how many coats of the laquer? also, how many quarts of each did it take to do these floors? I so want to paint my bedroom and bath floors and was debating between annie sloan and MMS milk paint. Love your blog…

• perfectlyimperfect September 19, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Hey darlene! We did 2 coats of each…Let me go back and count how many. Glad you like them! :-)

24. scottsdale interior design September 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Amazing, love these floors. Love when people do something different and especially when it is affordable. Great job.

25. john September 29, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Hey i do read this blog and this is proof, haha!!

26. Kris {Driven by Décor} January 14, 2013 at 11:23 am #

I love, love, love your daughter’s floor! My girls are not to keen on the idea of my ripping up their carpet since they still play a lot on their floor but once they’re a little older, I’d love to do this! I linked up to your post on my blog today to share it with my readers!

27. Laura January 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

I’m curious what type of floor this meets at the doorway. My daughter has (ugly) carpet in her pink and black Paris room and I would love to do something similar, but I’m not sure how it would look running into the rest of wood we have in the hallway.

I’m new to your blog and am really enjoying it!!

28. Christa H April 12, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Hi there, I LOVE this room so much! I made my girls coral floral duvet covers and now working on implementing some light pink and white touches. I found your blog in my search for ideas and fell in love:) Question – where did you get your blinds? Those are pretty much exactly the type I’m looking for for their room.

Thanks,
    Christa

29. TJ July 30, 2013 at 10:58 am #

You may have said, but I didn’t see it. Where did you purchase the boards for your floors? Loving the transformation. :)

30. meesh May 13, 2014 at 10:59 am #

just curious how the floors are holding up after a few years? also v curious about the lacquer and how it’s holding up. yellowing at all?