build your own removable plank wall

Happy Monday to you, friends!

You guys have been so kind in your comments and emails about our little writing room redo…thank you!

build your own removable plank wall

Today’s the day we start answering your questions, so let me know if I leave anything out.

build your own removable plank wall

To create more space for the office portion of the writing room, we knew we had to swap the daybed for the desk, making it center stage and using all available space for shelving and storage.  Not a hard solution.  But the daybed, well, it didn’t really fit.

Anywhere.

We had considered putting up planks on the back wall for some time, and after chatting with our friends at The Lettered Cottage, my mind was made up.  We decided we’d cut the finials off the daybed so it would slide snugly in our nook, appearing as if it were always supposed to be there.

build your own removable plank wall

Wanna know how?

It was one of the easiest afternoon projects we’ve ever done!

build your own removable plank wall

We set up our miter saw & stand in the actual room, knowing it would be easier to chop away upstairs than going back and forth.  We started with old wood in varying lengths.

Matt says this is so simple that we can’t really qualify it as a full tutorial–and he’s sort of right.

It was sooo easy!

build your own removable plank wall

Because we used reclaimed wood, our planks were very sturdy and dense.  We simply measured each board/spot on the wall in two places.  From the left corner to the right.

build your own removable plank wall

For example, we would measure to the height of the pitched ceiling, and over 8 inches (width of the board), to measure the next height.  This would determine our angle.  We drew off a line, and zip!

That’s it, folks!

build your own removable plank wall

As far as securing the planks, we needed our wall to be removable.  There’s still a door back there we need to get to once a year.  As long as your measurements are correct, the planks will slide in snugly to the wall.

Because we were placing the daybed in front (and it will always be there), we didn’t attach them to the wall.  They fit so tightly, and the bed is in front, so there’s no worry of falling planks.

The only other thing we did was address the air vent.  We simply cut out a hole, and added the plate over our planks.  The air is still able to get to us that way.

See?  Easy-peasy makeover.

build your own removable plank wall

We were dying for a little color back there, so we dry brushed Chalk Paint™ on some of the planks, applying it more heavily on some than others.  The colors are Duck Egg, Old White, & Versailles.

build your own removable plank wall

It was a really simple, affordable project that transformed our little nook.  Don’t be afraid to go for it on a wall in your home, especially if it’s temporary!

build your own removable plank wall

I think it was a pretty good idea to take the miter saw upstairs, because moving those bookcases in was quite. a. chore.

31 Responses to build your own removable plank wall

1. rosann August 13, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Beautiful! Amazing how something that makes such a statement can be so easy.
    Love it!

2. jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof August 13, 2012 at 7:57 am #

I love the wall and how much fun it adds to the room. The colors are perfect. Perfect little spot for your home schooling to, right on the couch reading books ;)

3. Karen from www.thecottagefarmhouse.com August 13, 2012 at 8:33 am #

it looks outstanding

4. Cyndi W. August 13, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Love it! And I love how that little bit of color adds so much!

5. Nancy@Life:Designed August 13, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Wow what a great little project that adds SO much to the room! I love everything about it- the colours are awesome! So is the door leaning against the wall with the parasol, the wall lamp, the side table, the “life is beauty full” cushion, I could go on and on. Love this whole look!

6. Erin @ DIY On the Cheap August 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Looks gorgeous! And what a great idea to make it removable.

7. Julie August 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I was wondering how permanent that wall was! The before, before showed a water heater up there… then there is space for storing Christmas trees and the like. I couldn’t imagine you didn’t still need to access this space.

I am pinning this post. We are redoing an old farm site (Well, we are cleaning it really good and will be redoing it after we move in and sell/rent our current home and have money to fix it up. It is hard to do much of anything when you are insuring, paying taxes and soon will be heating two spaces.) And, there is a wall in the basement with an awkward door that leads to a little used utility space.

8. Tracey August 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

It all looks so great!! Would you mind telling where you got your reclaimed lumber? Thanks :)

9. Rosie August 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Looks fabulous! Now I am coveting a little attic space with a makeover for my studio!

10. Marian August 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

You could make a totally cool, three panel room divider/screen with the addition of some 2×4′s across the back and some piano hinges. Hmmmm…might just have to build that for my next barn sale. Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Fiona, Lilyfield Life August 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Your boards look so beautiful! i love this room even more so now. We are still waiting for ASCP to be available in australia. hopefully coming soon – I can’t wait to try it. those colours are divine…
    BTW good luck with your homeschooling. I think you are going to love it!
    cheers Fiona xx

12. Danielle August 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I love the wall and the beachy dry brushed colors. Duck Egg is my favorite! I also LOVE your new book shelves. Beautiful space. I thought it was beautiful before but now it is even more so.

13. Anneke at This, That & Life August 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

I love the colors you chose…they add a little something, but they’re subtle. Nice job bringing in the saw too!

14. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline August 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

It looks great Shaunna!

15. Jeannie-JB August 13, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

I love love love your plank wall – especially painted with my favorite chalk paint colors. Trying to figure out how I can do that too! I think shorter planks would make a great looking headboard!

16. Julianna August 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

It looks beautiful! Will you be painting the air vent, too, so the white doesn’t jump out anymore?

17. Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers August 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

I’m loving your updates to this space and this wall is gorgeous. I love the wood treatment you used! Thanks for sharing.

18. Karen Calvert August 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Hi. I so want to buy your e book. Is it available in a hard copy? I am using an iPad bc my laptop is with my son out of the country bc his boomed right before he left.
    I am not the most literate of computer things and am having trouble downloading wine. Only one even opens. Sorry but I so want to purchase it. If you could tell me how to buy and see on an iPad I would be so grateful. I bet a lot of people would love you to do. Full post on it. There’s a ton of Mac users and iPad, iPhone.
    Thanks. You guys have awesome projects. Beautiful taste. I’m going for your desk.
    Thanks!, Karen

• perfectlyimperfect August 20, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Hey Karen! Yes, we’ve had a few issues with Mac users and the interactive version. The PDF is great for portable devices, though, so I’d go that route! Let me know if you need any help! :-)

19. Stephanie August 23, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I just love this idea! I need to find a place in my home for this! :)

20. jenny August 27, 2012 at 7:54 am #

this is gorgeous and so simple!! I AM going to do this!! Thanks for the inspiration and the details :-)

21. lisa@ Before Meets After September 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I love this! I’ve got plans to do something similar in our small guest room!

22. Jennette October 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I LOVE this removable wall you made! It adds such a pop of colours! So charmingly rustic. :)

23. Laura Trevey October 26, 2012 at 10:49 am #

So creative ~ I love this idea. Thanks for the post and the awesome photos showing your step by step process.

24. Kennesha November 21, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Those blue pillows with the jute trim..I die! I have ONE gray one like that and I haven’t been able to find it’s match but that color is one of my secondary colors in our living area…are these the ones from Pottery Barn or elsewhere? I found my ONE gray one at Ross…haven’t been able to find another! Ugh! Also, congrats on your new storefront! So beautiful! You encourage me to continue taking steps to grow my business into my dream! Thanks!

25. Debbie July 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

That daybed… I love it.. .I am wanting a shabby chic daybed for my daughters small bedroom… this one is beautiful, I may have missed it, but did you make it or buy it?

26. Amy Jacob December 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

I love the colors you painted the planks… Would you mind sharing the info on the paint/colors and also the method in which you painted it. I have a paneled bedroom that I would love to do that on the panelling. Do you have any suggestions for me on how to do that? Love this old, muted, shabby chic style. (email would be preferable)
    TYIA

27. Amanda February 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

This is great! Did you leave the baseboard on the feature wall?

28. Pamela October 17, 2014 at 2:56 pm #

Thank you… I’ve had this idea for year’s….. U helped push me to do it…