primitive corner cabinet- a quick spruce-up

Hello, lovely folks!

Congrats to our Overstock.com giveaway winner, Kim (#320), who said…

My newest accent color!! Love these!!! Thanks so much for the fun chance to win!  :)

Email me, Kim, at shaunna@harristire.com to claim your prize!

I actually struck the perfect balance between productivity & laziness over the weekend, and worked on editing more pics from Troy Fest & projects we’ve been working on here.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint at perfectly imperfect

I showed you the primitive corner cabinet (which I LOVE, btw) last week in my display at Troy Antiques.  It was pretty perfect as is, but it needed a good cleaning, and just a little umph.

All furniture needs a little upmph in one way or another.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint at perfectly imperfect

Remembering this photo, I knew a little Provence (Annie Sloan CHALK PAINT™) would do the trick.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint at perfectly imperfect

And it totally did!  I didn’t touch the outside–it was too perfectly chipped and worn as is (and somehow still bright white??).

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint at perfectly imperfect

I applied the paint with random brush strokes, not being particular at all.  I made sure to apply it more thickly in some areas, and more sheer in others.  This imperfect technique makes the paint look as though it’s been there the whole time.  (P.S.  I left the inside unwaxed because, again, I wanted it to seem really authentic and match the sheen on the outside of the cabinet–plus, I knew the backs will be just fine unwaxed.)

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint at perfectly imperfect

This guy was busy painting sample boards for me while I was playfully hard at work on the corner cabinet.

Somebody’s gotta do it.

*linking to Savvy Southern Style, Miss Mustard Seed, Funky Junk Interiors, Home Stories A to Z

, ,

19 Responses to primitive corner cabinet- a quick spruce-up

1. Anna@agoodhome May 7, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I LOOOOOVE that corner cabinet! So Shaunna, as a newly minted CHALK PAINT seller, I have a question for you. I have an Ikea hutch that I’m thinking of painting and I was thinking a light grey with Provence-type blue inside. What do you think? Also, is it hard to use the dark wax to give a distressed look?

I think your whole area looked gorgeous for Troy Fest. Great job, and I’m so happy for you about getting to sell the paints you love so much!!

2. Önder DANİŞMENT May 7, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Where can I find . I from in TURKEY, in İSTANBUL.I wont chalk paint….

3. Önder DANİŞMENT May 7, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Where can I paint chalk ?

4. Angela May 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Shaunna my question would be similar, would chalk paint even work well on ikea furniture being particle board? Thanks

5. Debbie refresh restyle May 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

It’s beautiful!!! do you ship your paint?

• perfectlyimperfect May 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Hey Debbie! I do–right now I’m just taking orders, but will have the site up and running in a few weeks. :-)

6. Mona Kay at Blissfuly Refurbished May 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Hey Shaunna, what color is your little guy stirring for you?? It almost, but not quite, looks like Duck Egg?!?

Thanks!

7. Nancy J. May 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Are you selling the Chalkpaint in Troy? I need a white and cream ASAP. Could I come up and get some….? I have been buying from Pelham. Thanks.

8. Meaningful Nest May 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I love what you did with the corner cabinet and the interior color! I am excited to try chalk paint. I have read and seen too much of it lately not to! It seems awesome! I am a novice painter and plan to use some of your tutorials to help me get started! I did “distress” a little frame on my last post. I just guessed and I think it turned out alright, but I have much to learn!

9. Sarita May 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Congrats to Kim! That blue inside the cabinet will be great!

10. Karen from www.thecottagefarmhouse.com May 8, 2012 at 8:08 am #

I love the color inside I want to paint my foyer bench that color is is really bright or not so.
    Karen

11. Tara C May 8, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I love the piece in the center on the second shelf from the top. Did you paint it? Please blog about what you did to this adorable little piece.

12. lomr May 14, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Wow that looks great, good job!

13. Jamie May 15, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Really? The little guy is painting sample boards with Chateau Grey? It looks nothing like the swatches online. Weird?

14. Becca September 14, 2012 at 4:38 am #

Love your blog post! Two questions for ya. Do you have to clean the furniture with anything before you begin to paint? I’m planning to paint a few ikea pieces along with some wood pieces. Also I’m curious about the difference in appearance of the clear wax vs. the dark wax. Do you have any pieces you have painted using the dark wax afterwards? Thanks so much!