my style–quickest ways to lighten & brighten your home

Thank you, Lord, for Friday’s.

Can I get an amen on that or what?!?

Since it’s Friday (and I’m clearly celebrating), I thought we’d officially kick off our series on my style–the one where you guys asked me questions on how we changed our home so drastically and I’m doing my best to answer.

via

Last time I showed you some of my very favorite spaces–and we talked a little about why I was drawn to them.

via

Today, we’ll focus on the quickest and easiest ways to take your home from dark or drab to light and bright.

Kinda like we did with ours.

LIghten and brighten your home with cottage, farmhouse-elegant style

lighten and brighten your home with cottage, farmhouse-elegant style

It really has been a 2 year process, beginning with our attic addition.  Once we had the writing room & the playroom, and I knew how a space could make me feel, I knew we’d begin changing the rest of our home.

lighten and brighten your home with cottage, farmhouse-elegant style

And it’s totally possible with a little time (& a tight budget).

We’ll cover two of the starting points today–and a couple more next week.

lighten and brighten your home with cottage, farmhouse-elegant style

1. Paint anything & everything but the kitchen sink…and maybe that, too.

We actually went in reverse, slipcovering our sofa and chair & 1/2, then changed our drapes, then painted.  Either way works, but the biggest impact comes when you paint and when you cover your existing furnishings (if they’re dark and domineering like ours were).

We painted the coffee table, the hall table, barstools, mirrors, frames, our walls….anything and everything.

In regards to my style–bigger pieces like the coffee table got neutral makeovers & some accent pieces like the barstools got pops of color in Provence & Duck Egg chalk paint.  Remember, you want color to help your eye dance around the room (or if you’re me you do :-) ), so we kept the biggest items neutral.

via

For me, neutral is white.  For those of you like Lynn, paint can be intimidating….this is what this sweet lady says:

“Hey Shaunna,
I love your blog and thanks for starting these post! My question would be…..How to ease into a lighter cottage style when I have really nice pieces that were not extravagantly expensive but enough that I don’t want to put them in yard sale?  :(  I have a coffee table and 2 end tables that I think would look great with some ASCP,(they are a medium cherry color) but I can’t take that step to do it or convince by sweet husband either;) He really probably wouldn’t care but he did ask me if I planned on painting everything with ASCP!!  I have painted several things but they were auction finds that were good buys. Help me get over my phobia of painting “good” furniture….hehe!
Love your blog and God Bless”
Lynn

via

I totally get it, Lynn.  We saved quite a bit when we first married and bought our living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture–and all together it was a decent price tag.  Painting some of it almost made me feel like we were wasting what we’d been given.

I think it’s perfectly normal to want to change our homes–our lives change drastically, right??  The spaces around us calm us, help keep us grounded to the things that really matter–they can make our days easier, better, brighter.

For me, it was simply about evaluating my motives–why did I want to change them?  Am I content to keep what I have if money/paint/etc. wasn’t an option?  When I felt I could answer yes to those–Matt and I talked about what we wanted our home to feel like…what we wanted our home to feel like to our children.

For us, lighter equaled more calming–so out came the paint.

Lighten and brighten your home with cottage, farmhouse-elegant style

via

Talk with that husband of yours, evaluate your motives–and go for it–together!  By the way, after painting some of our “nice” pieces of furniture, I’ll never go back to settling for something in my home–I want to put it to work for our family, both in style and function.  Painting our pieces helped me do just that.

via

Last thing on paint…for those of you feeling stuck in a dark home (don’t mistake what I’m saying–there’s nothing more inviting than warm woods and colors–it’s just gotta be your style just like whites & cools are inviting to me), I totally challenge you:

PAINT IT WHITE.

What, you mean?

via

Anything.  Everything.  Especially your walls.

I know, so many people say it’s boring, it’s safe, it’s….a blank canvas for me.

I love knowing I could change throws, pillows, and a few vases here and  there–and have a completely different space.  It’s one of the most freeing choices I’ve ever made in decorating our home & I wish I would have done it 10 years ago.

There’s a million whites out there and my bet is you’ll find one that completely transforms your darker spaces–and makes you see them in a completely different light.

via

2.  Cover your existing furnishings with slipcovers.

I talked way more about paint than I thought I would…but the other move that took our home to a different place?

Covering those red couches.  It completely changed the way everything felt….and the way everything else blended together.

Notice a trend in the pics above?  White walls, slipcovered furniture.

Some spaces are all about texture & layers–they’re more neutral even in accessories.

via

Some, however, are totally colorful.  You know what’s amazing, though?  Being able to change it up ever-so-effortlessly.

I’ll get real on the white slipcovers–I have two small children, (well, 3 if you count Matt), and 2 dogs.

And white slipcovers.

And we live in our home.

We’ve had them 2 1/2 years now, and they are a little dingier than day one.  But they’re white.   And, after washing day where I bleach the ba-jeezes out of them, I have to look closely for those dingy spots.  And…it’s no different than seeing white paint all over my red couches (thank you, baby Grayson) for several years.

Same dilemma, different color combo.

If you just can’t take the plunge (or don’t want to) to cover them in white, go more natural–use a oatmeal or linen color…or with a beautiful gray.  Just remember your main pieces say a lot about the space & allow you to connect the dots with other rooms in your home.

I believe the main sitting areas (and therefore the fabrics covering them) are as much a part of the bones of a room as the walls.

That being said, go neutral and love ‘em longer.

via

The beauty of slipcovers (minus the washing!) is knowing that when they do wear out (which all furniture will), it’ll only cost a few hundred dollars to completely renew the piece.

Major plus.

So get started: paint something this weekend!  Or cover some of your furniture–my bet is you won’t regret it!

I hope this series helps you see that with a little time, creativity, & a whole lotta paint, you can do whatever you want in your homes!  Stay tuned next week for a few more simple starting points to lightening and brightening your spaces.

, , , ,

62 Responses to my style–quickest ways to lighten & brighten your home

1. Mona March 30, 2012 at 11:55 am #

We have a dark burgundy leather sofa that I would love to slipcover white. But if the sofa (12 years old and in great shape) gets wet, it does leave red dye on my towel from drying it. And it is nice to just wipe the cat and dog fur off – no washing needed. Just wish it were lighter colored! Are there any other concerns about slipcovering leather?

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Hey Mona! I’ve never slipcovered leather–but know plenty of people who have…I’m sure the only concern is slipping. BUT, I’m also sure you can find a solution for this. I’ve never bought online before, but I think I’m going to do some research for y’all. I know working with Debbie from Cottage & Cabin was my best bet (she’s there in my sidebar)…she was able to take my sofa and tailor it specifically for it. It was also much more affordable than ordering a pre-made cover for my 90 in. sofa! :-) Hope this helps the slipcover questions!

• Francine Melder February 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Hi, Mona. One idea may be to make a slipcover out of room-darkening curtain fabric. Sounds crazy, but there are some nice fabrics available in white and muted colors. This type of fabric has a rubbery back to it which should keep the cover from slipping.

Hope this helps!
      Francine :)

• Jess Harris January 30, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

Wy not make a cover for just the cushions and then slipcover. Think like a mattress pad to protect your bed, then the sheets… Same concept!

I actually plan on putting a comfy waterproof mattress pad over my cushions before skip covering them… That way when a kid accidentally pees on it it won’t soak into the couch and truly will all come out in the wash. (5 kids… 1 husband… And a dog… You can never be too careful ;) )

• Embee August 12, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

Ooohhhh. Then I wouldn’t slip cover it. Think if it was hot out and there was moisture (sweat) from someone sitting on this sofa… Or if a liquid accidently spilled. Plus the cotton fabric covers may slip on the smooth leather. I would see if I could sell this leather set online…or perhaps see if a friend would buy it. Leather is so rich and luxurious looking! But it isn’t beachy or airy, if this is the look you are seeking.

2. Bridgette March 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Great post! Loved the before and after’s! :)

3. Melissa @ The Middle That Counts March 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Love your tips! I’m at a place where I want – so badly – to paint furniture but just don’t feel competent enough to do it. Our pieces are all hand-me-downs or fairly cheapish things we purchase when we were first married and had no money…13 years ago! We still have no money – haha – but I feel like there are less expensive options for getting a new furniture – slipcovering and painting being my options. Again, though, I am scared! :) So I have 2 questions for you — 1) how in the world do I purchase a slipcover that is definitely going to work with my couch/chair? I’m afraid of purchasing something and it being the wrong thing. and 2) I live in the same area as you — is it possible to pay you to come to my house for about 2 hours one day and help me get going in the right direction?! LOL (well, I laugh, but I’m halfway serious!)

Anyway, I enjoy your blog and loved these tips. Thanks! :)

• Suzanne July 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

(This reply is super late, but I came across your question while browsing Shaunna’s older posts.) I’ve purchased slipcovers from uglysofa.com. His slipcovers are from Pottery Barn – but he can’t advertise the fact. Just read his product measurements carefully before you order and keep in mind that the slipcover is very adjustable and ‘tuckable’. I have two of them and they look great!

4. Elisabeth March 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I feel the same way Lynn does. I can’t paint over good furniture. We have several antique pieces and I just don’t think I could do it. If it was a beat up piece that needed some work on it, I think I would have the courage. Notice my hesitation? lol

I do love the brightness of white and what you have done in your living room. It looks great!

5. Christa March 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

How do you find slipcovers that fit well and do not move around? I tried them once and they were so annoying! Also, I’ve tried painting fabric chairs with ASCP but have what looks like lint from my wax (or maybe my ASCP wax brush). Any suggestions?

@Mona. I love that my cat’s hair does not accumulate on my leather couch and bother my allergies. But I do miss the comfort of a fabric couch. I’ve read of people painting leather with ASCP. Do you have a leather sample that toucan try some paint on?

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Hey Christa! See my answer to Mona on the slipcovers. I’m not sure about painting fabric–haven’t tried it yet? I’ll ask Patty, my stockist.

6. Lucrecia March 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I’ve been toying with the idea of painting our living room yellow for years. I wonder if the reason I can’t find a yellow I love is because it’s really not “my” color!

• Embee August 12, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

…Yellow maybe is not the colour that you need. Try a soft, warm buttercream colour. This goes great with white painted trim or natural trim. It is the go- to colour as a neutral. Most all colours go with this fresh colour of paint. Especially good if your room faces east or north.

7. Angela March 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Hi Shauna
    I love and hate white. I love it in pictures, love it in your home but do not like it in mine. When I moved into my rental the cupboards were white…I painted them cream. The washroom was white I painted it… well it has been several colours. I think it’s because I just have not found a white I like. All the rooms I see on the internet that are white I love but don’t know what the whites are. I am getting ready to paint my yellow livingroom and am thinking about painting it yellow again. :(
    Do you have any suggestions of a white. Thanks. Loved this post.

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Hey Angela! I totally know what you mean–there are a million, trillion whites out there and finding the right one can be tricky. I would start here–and only because these colors I know well–try Benjamin Moore’s White Diamond (a soft white with gray undertones–this is what our whole house is painted in), Benjamin Moore’s Moonlight White (soft white with more yellow undertones), and Benjamin Moore’s Decorators White (probably the closest to a bright white). Paint big 2 x 2 squares on the wall and watch it throughout the day–it will completely change as the light does…my bet is you’ll love one of them, but if not, you’ll at least know if you want a warmer or cooler color–and this will point you in the right direction/paint chip.

Hope this helps!!!

• Amy F November 17, 2012 at 10:34 am #

This is the answer I’ve been looking for since we bought our old farmhouse 3 years ago. I want my home to be the lovely whites I see in pictures, but am scared to death of picking the color. I don’t have a fear of painting, I have a fear of picking the color. I want to paint EVERYTHING. I painted a small mirror I picked up at a flea market white and it turned out looking too bright – like a neon white. It’s still sitting there in it’s neon white glory.

8. Shirlee March 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Shaunna- thanks so much for the post! We just bought a brand new home and the paint colors were the traditional “builder browns” if you know what I mean. It felt drabby- small and unwelcoming to us anyway. So we convinced our builder to repaint 2 rooms for us in Benjamin Moore white diamond. We choose the living and the dining room since those are the biggest rooms. Then we respainted our kitchen ourselves and used porter paint whiskers. It’s really a shade darker than the white diamond. And WOW what a difference the paint has made!!! It’s open and fresh and our girls love it too! Feels like home!! We still have to finish the rest of the house but at least the rooms we spend the most time in are done!

We still have the brown leather couches and like the other ladies have had trouble with the fitting. What do you suggest? Did you have yours custom made? Love you and your blog!!
    Shirlee

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Hey Shirlee! I’m SO glad the color worked!! We sure do love ours, too! I did have a local seamstress make ours–see my answer to Mona. Hope this helps!

9. Cindy March 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

i need to know where to find affordable slipcovers for my horrible oh so late ’90′s couch and chair and a half. i am so over it but don’t have anyone to make me some. Please help because i am ready to get rid of red and bring in blue and green. Love your blog…read it every day!!

10. Sherill March 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I love your post and I’ll tell you why…I just finished wrestling my white slip covers over my fall/winter brown sofa, sweating and all…my room is now brighter and lighter!! I also finished painting my black Windsor chairs to a greenish grey (and changing my burlap curtains to muslin). This also has brightened and lightened my dining room…just in time for spring! Can you say ahhhhh…Thanks for the post…I’m on your side:)

11. Danielle March 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Love it! Love whites and neutrals. We also have slip covered couches with young children and I add pops of color with pillows. Love the washability – I need this – as my 2 year old loves drawing on them now w/ washable crayons and markers!!! Happy weekend! Hope to see you on Monday in Boston!

12. Mrs.B March 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Paint it ALL? Oh…my man will just LOVE to hear that!
    ;)

13. Heather March 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

I love the inspiration photos you shared. I spent the first 25 years of my life in a home with dark wood paneling on all but a few walls… I eventually convinced my mom to let me paint my bathroom blue but that was it. After so many years surrounded by dark, dark walls I am so happy to have white and ivory walls in my townhouse- the white space is so much more cheerful!

14. Gina March 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Great advice!! I agree that it is so easy to change colors of accessories if the rest of the room is neutral. I used aqua accents in my living room for awhile but have since put them away and now there is no color. It’s what I like now but who knows I might add another color later. I like the versitility. But most of all I love how light and bright it is!

15. Bre Doucette @roomsFORrent March 31, 2012 at 1:14 am #

I LOVE this post! Such great points! And you are right about evaluating your motives for painting the furniture ;) my husband and MOM think I’m nuts! But it totally transforms the space. I’ve always been drawn to white walls, white furniture, and when I saw photos of your house, I thought wow a real life person who has decorated the way I dream to. Love your style, and after reading this, it’s really encouraged me to take a white wall plunge! thanks for the inspiration :)

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Thank you!! That’s a very, very sweet thing to say–go for it!!

16. Steph Duford March 31, 2012 at 4:54 am #

Hi Shauna~ Do you have a safe white paint that you love for walls? Also, where can I find a good looking slip cover for reasonable cost? Thanks so much for all your inspirations!

• perfectlyimperfect March 31, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I love, love Sherwin Williams’ Pro Classic formula…I also want to try Benjamin Moore’s Natura. The guys at SW just have my fav white in their system–Ben Moore’s White Diamond. :-)

17. andrea March 31, 2012 at 5:49 am #

i totally agree with the light slipcover idea – i did it and am thrilled – AND i have 3 boys 10 and under! it’s remained fairly clean, too! and if you use websites like uglysofa.com, you can get a great slipcover for less than $100 … SWEET! :) thx shaunna for another great post!

18. Baileywife March 31, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Yes! Pleasssseeee tell us how/where to get slipcovers! I have thought about going to our local fabric store and asking if they have a seamstress for hire?! Please tell us what you recommend.

19. Haley March 31, 2012 at 6:53 am #

Gosh I still can’t get over all of your transformations- ESPECIALLY that dining room! So gorgeous. Love your style and inspiration! As always, thanks for sharing!!!

20. Susan March 31, 2012 at 7:08 am #

I’ve been toying with painting some heavy, dark end tables and coffee table. Thanks for saying it’s OK! I also have an antique that is not is great shape. I think I’d like it more painted white. My summer projects are adding up…

21. Lisa March 31, 2012 at 7:21 am #

This is such a great post – thank you for sharing your thoughts on “going white”. Since moving a year and a half ago, we have lightened up our belongings and it’s so freeing to not be bound to a color scheme. So much easier to change things up when the big items are neutral….I love it even though our home is still majorly a work in progress.

22. Amanda @ Bullfrogs and Bulldogs March 31, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I love white everything as well! Unfortunately, we live in the country and it is either super dusty in the summer or super muddy in the fall/winter. And very wet and raining in the spring. We are however redoing all the trim in our house from a 1970′s stained brown to a beautiful white and it is making me oh so happy :)

I love all your advice! You always put a big smile on my face!

Amanda

23. Kelley March 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

I live in an apartment, so all the walls are white and they’re staying that way. It’s definitely clean and bright, but I also feel like it’s kind of sterile and boring. Do you have any tips for bringing life to white walls?

24. Kristin March 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

I’m getting up the nerve to paint my huge hutch that belonged to my grandparents. It’s too big to sell (lol) but it’s dark and I want LIGHT! I have a question unrelated to paint though (and I apologize if you’ve already answered this somewhere on your blog – I didn’t notice it until now). I have a huge window and it will require two panels or shades like yours in your dining room. Can you please let me know where you got them? Thanks so much!!

25. Anu April 1, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I cant agree more about keeping the walls neutral and changing it up with accessories :) i love your home esp the dining room area. i have been drooling at it for a long time now :)and decided to go for it. I just changed my home from dark brown to white and we all love it. i did it with BM decorators white and it is such a change!! here my home picture
    you are doing a great job, i will continue reading :) thanks/Anu

26. Shauna-- One N! :) April 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

I’ve had your dining room pinned for aeons and didn’t even realize it was yours. I will go check the link and make sure it is correct! :)

27. door251 April 3, 2012 at 10:38 am #

So adorable! I just came across your blog, love it! you def have a new follower!

door251.com

28. Jessica Singletary April 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I love this post, Shaunna! I swear you read minds girl! I’ve been wanting to lighten up our house a bit but nothing too drastic. I love our wall color {RL Oatmeal} in the living, kitchen and hallway. I just painted our bedroom but now I’m thinking it’s too dark. Our guest bedroom is Chinchilla by MS. I LOVE it! I’d love to paint our furniture in our master bedroom. I’m just stuck on what color. I am looking forward to making subtle changes in our home! Thanks for the inspiration & courage to do so!

29. Eva April 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

I am new to your blog so you may have answered elsewhere. Were your slipcovers custom made and what type of fabric are they? Do you line dry them or throw them in the dryer?

Thank you.

30. Natasha April 4, 2012 at 6:06 am #

I was so glad to come across this post. I have been contemplating going neutral and white in my home but, like many, had my reservations. Your inspiration has given me the boost I needed! Thanks :)

31. Victoria April 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Absolutely love this post! I stumbled upon it through Pinterest but it was calling my name! I have always been a fan of the lighter colors when it comes to decor and i think of white as a blank canvas as well! Love that you can add pops of color as your ideas change. Anyway, for months I have been swooning over white, light, & bright living rooms! I’ve been dying to take the plunge and my biggest obstacle has been my living room set. I love my dark, rustic wood coffee table and recently ordered a lighter, thinner rug. My couch is a brown suede leather and very comfortable. My dad bought it for me about 4 years ago and replacing it with a new beautiful white one will be nearly impossible on my “recent college grad / social worker” budget. :) I live in Auburn, AL & have had a hard time finding a way to update it! I hate nothing more than an ill-fitted slipcover! Any advice? Thanks!

32. Kilmouski April 11, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Hello from a 17th century Cotswold cottage in the UK.
    Love your painting and waxing tutorials, I found them because I’m just trying to encourage myself to have a go at my two bedside cabinets. I’ve only now finally taken the step to paint our bedroom white – and when I say white, I mean a pure white not a tinted shade of white like I’ve been using for years (mostly Farrow and Ball shades like Clunch and Wimbourne White), they seem softer and more ‘cottagey’, but for some reason this time I wanted a real white so I went for All White. I was really nervous before I started, it looked so ‘cold’, but the effect is amazing. The light just zings round the room (being a cottage it has sloping ceilings and dormer windows which now look like proper architectural features) and the effect is so uplifting – almost dazzling.
    I was worried though that my antique furniture, carved wood bed, gilt mirrors and pictures would look dingy and dated against a hard white (like others on your blog, felt that I just couldn’t paint them white too – especially the bed – such a big job!), so instead, on the walls behind them, I’ve used F & B Pavilion Grey which, together with the bright white, gives the room a rather Scandinavian Gustavian feel. It sets off the wood and gilt really nicely, and somehow makes the furniture look ‘modern’ again.

The bedside cabinets I’m going to paint were only ‘cheapies’ from our local DIY store (25 years ago!) and at the time I stripped and stained them to match my antique satinwood chest of drawers. Now I think I’m ready to bring them into 2012 with clay paint and wax (not quite sure what colour – white I expect!) Your videos have given me confidence to ‘have a go’, so thanks!

33. Miranda January 30, 2013 at 11:10 am #

I am so glad to have found this! Especially the comment; “I’ll never go back to settling for something in my home–”
    My husband bought his bedroom furniture before we met. We both love it and are finding a hard time locating anything that is as nice or as good quality. We are renovating now and I would really like to change the colour. I am relieved to see so many are just as nervous about this as I am. I am afraid of “wrecking” this lovely furniture. Can you give any steps/tips as to how to go about painting furniture?
    Thanks,
    Miranda

34. Dianne March 13, 2013 at 9:50 am #

I am thrilled that I came upon your website! This is the look I want for my home…white, crisp and cottagey looking. I do have a couch and 2 love seats that are in excellent condition but would love to slipcover them in white. Do you have to have these slipcovers custom made. I don’t like the ones that you buy from Walmart or Sears as they are not a tight fit. Thanks,

Dianne

35. Cre8ive Charly June 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Ok, For all you furniture painting skeptics out there, chalk paint is the MOST forgiving and the way to go as a beginning furniture painting DIYer. Next, I would try milk paint, but find a cheap old blender at the Goodwill to mix it well. Otherwise, you might get a little scared of the milk paint clumps. GEAUX for it!

36. Sandy June 29, 2013 at 5:10 am #

Late to the game….but for all of you wanting tailored slipcovers. Look at Ballard Design, Pennys and Ikea. Ikea is so inexpensive you don’t need a sale. The other two, watch for 15 to 20 percent off with free shipping. This shows up about once a month. As an example, the Ikea chair is $49 for a slipcover, how can one go wrong just trying it?

The slipcovers will have the measurements (actually, the basic furniture) so you can check your own furniture sizing against the options. Don’t worry about anything less than an inch off on the slipcover. I haven’t had an issue yet on using any of them. And basic white twill is the least expensive. Very well made and lasts. Many desings offered. All have had velcro inside which you could also add to your basic sofa, but slipping around has never been an issue.

I did have a sofa with square arms that I knew wouldn’t fit rounded ones, but added a towel under and no one has ever figured it out.

• Roxann young July 6, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I just discovered your site! Love it. A question I have is : Do you use the same color and finish of paint for your walls and trim work and ceilings? Thank you, Roxann

• perfectlyimperfect July 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Hey Roxann! Most of our home has Satin finish walls, semi-gloss trim, and flat ceilings, no matter the paint color. :-)

37. MaryJean Blair August 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

What color of white works on the walls? There are a bazillion and three white paint colors. Also where do I find slip covers that will fit my existing sofa?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

MaryJean

38. Marisa September 21, 2013 at 6:38 am #

Hi Shauna, I swear I’m writing to you as much as I do to my daughter:-). I love what you’ve done with slipcovers and the rest of your house. What fabric did you use for the slipcovers? Did you sew them or did you have them done? We have mismatched items in our family room plus it is dark and I want to redo — oh!! I do have the ugliest sofa but I believe it is the fabric of the pillows instead of the good wood bones of the sofa. I am planning on using high density foam for the seat making it into a bench versus three pillows. Hope it looks good. I will be taking pictures. Love your blog and I save your posts.

39. heidi November 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Live in old 1918 colonial…natural cherry woodwork throughout…a bit of brunt red in it…what white would choose for your walls…having the whole downstairs painted and want to pick just the right one with a hint of grey…suggestions?

• perfectlyimperfect November 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Hey Heidi,
      Definitely Benjamin Moore’s White Diamond–just a hint. :-)

40. Jaqueline Friedberg December 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Our viewpoint in life frequently changes how we see things. Sometimes this change is good and sometimes this alteration is bad but it is our point of view that controls how we act.

41. Allison Hunter January 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

shaunna, its me from Fort Worth, lol. I have read and re-read this post so many times and dreamt of the day when I could actually do it. Well, I DID IT! I painted our dining room from a palm green to a beautiful cotton fluff! I adore it! I repainted my hutch ASCP old white. I hung 2 old windows with white frames on the wall, and I love it! Thank you so much for being a constant source of inspiration and ideas. Even a year and a half later!
    Can’t wait to come back and visit again. Maybe Tracey and I can take you and Matt to dinner. Love!!

42. Scentsy Katie March 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

I am in the process of wanting a major transformation from my mustard yellow walls to something lighter and brighter and white has been on the forefront of my mind. But I keep resorting back to white being a boring color but after your post and seeing your pictures, white it will be. Now just to find the right white. What did you choose?

• perfectlyimperfect March 29, 2014 at 7:55 am #

Hey Katie! I went with Benjamin Moore’s White Diamond. Also Love Sherwin Williams Snowbound. Ben Moore Simply White is nice, too! Hope this helps!! :-)

43. linda April 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Took a look back this gloomy day in my too grey green I am tired of the walls LR from your post today. The button caught my eye. I had to laugh some because for years in military quarters I could hardly wait to be able to paint our walls something besides white and here I a considering the same, well, creamy at least. My slipcovers are IKEA pale cream.

44. Marbel April 12, 2014 at 5:01 am #

i like this page a lot, really nice pics.
    I love whites in the interior – it makes everything lighter.
    Also suggest some blacksmith products in these kind of interios – for example

45. www.gamezebo.com April 14, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after reading through some
    of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely
    glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

46. Inspira hogar August 6, 2014 at 7:14 am #

wow!! I love this! It’s inspiring :-)