a french chair makeover

Since I’ve been taking a few pieces back to my window space at Troy Antiques, I’ve been on the hunt.

You know what I mean.  Like…everywhere I go there seems to be something screaming, “paint me! paint me!!”

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

Like this beauty, of course.  Every time I see one of my sweet friend, Marian’s, chairs, my heart goes pitter pat.  I don’t run across many chairs, much less antique french chairs.

This one had some pretty bold upholstery…combined with the orange-y speckled wood frame, it was sorta scary.

But I knew painted…

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

It would be fabulous!

I decided to leave the bold blue…knowing it could be such a statement piece–and knowing I probably don’t have time to reupholster right now.

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

I painted the base coat with Annie Sloan chalk paint in Paris Grey (not totally covering up all that wood), then followed with a dry brushed coat of Old White.

I just buffed it with a smooth cloth when the top layer was dry and waxed in high traffic spots.

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

chalk paint transforms a french chair at perfectly imperfect

I absolutely love it.  A little bit traditional, a little bit mod.

It’s up at Troy Antiques–I can’t wait to see who takes it home~

**Speaking of Troy, I wanted to let you Alabama locals know I’ll be having a yard sale with my cousin, Jennifer, in the next few weeks.  It will either be the 2nd or 3rd weekend in April and I’ll let ya know when we nail down a date.  I know my PILE of stuff is 90 % home decor, so if you’re semi-in-the-area & up for a drive, come on down to see us!  I’ll post more details asap.

, , , ,

38 Responses to a french chair makeover

1. janet metzger March 27, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Gorgeous Shaunna!
    Love the idea of spot waxing….let the unwaxed areas wear naturally…great!

Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

2. Danielle March 27, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Beautiful! Love the blue and the white!

3. Katie @ Wildwood Creek March 27, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Beautiful! I love French chairs.

4. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home March 27, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Gorgeous!! The shape is fabulous & it looks so much better painted!

5. Kitty Smothers March 27, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Please do let us know when the sale will be! I’m a Troy folk!

6. Jessi March 27, 2012 at 7:37 am #

The chair is absolutely gorgeous! A agree that the bold blue had to stay. And the pillow is PERFECT for it!

7. Adina Johnson March 27, 2012 at 7:41 am #

This is beautiful. I was expecting the upholstery to be changed to a burlap or grain sack type fabric. Being that style is so popular right now, however, I love that you left the blue. It’s different, bold and fun!

8. mary beth March 27, 2012 at 7:41 am #

wowza! I would have had white paint all over that beautiful blue fabric..great job! She looks so much happier now with her white jewelry on!

9. Debbie March 27, 2012 at 7:43 am #

The chair is stunning, love your fabric choice!

10. Lana hardwick March 27, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Love the chair!! I have painted several chairs, but did have them reupholstered . Did you just tape off the upholstery as to not get paint on it? And yes,.. I do want to know when you will be having your sale! Will it be at Troy Antiques or at you home? I live in Clanton, so I am fairly close…

11. Debbie@refreshrestyle.com March 27, 2012 at 7:44 am #

I love the chairs! I know you’ll have an awesome yard sale!
    Debbie

12. Stephanie March 27, 2012 at 7:49 am #

That is beautiful!! I love the blue.

13. Linsey March 27, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Oooh…how gorgeous!!!

I’d be so happy to have you link this up at the “Cowgirl Up!” linky party going on right now on my blog. Link up once, appear on 4 blogs!

♥Linsey

14. Patty Sidle March 27, 2012 at 7:54 am #

I love all of your projects keep up the good work!

15. Colleen March 27, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Love it! And the pillow is perfect perfect! :)

16. Stacey March 27, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Stunning! Looks amazing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change :o)

17. Jamie Asper March 27, 2012 at 10:50 am #

That chair is just perfection! I love the AS paint color with the blue of the fabric. Lovely! ~ Jamie

18. {Adventuresindinner} March 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

So very lovely, I am totally into the juxtaposition of antique and modern right now C:

19. Lindy Crain March 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

i know this sounds really stupid but i also use ASCP and i am not sure what you mean by dry brush?
    could you explain?

20. cyndi March 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Brilliant! Just love it!

21. Janice March 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Well, darn! If I wasn’t in Idaho, I would happily take that chair home. Let’s talk about that pillow can we? Because I NEED one…

22. Merri Jo March 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

That chair is positively YUMMY!! And with the postal pillow the blue is perfect!

23. Claudine March 28, 2012 at 1:06 am #

LOVED IT!!!
    I have used exact same colors to paint a little table I have!
    Perfect combination with the rich blue!

24. debra gordon March 28, 2012 at 6:25 am #

Great little chair. I have one similar – you’ve got me thinking. Also, just so you know, I love your accent. Here in Canada, our accents are not nearly so charming.

25. Sherry Hicks March 28, 2012 at 6:47 am #

I am so glad you worked with the bold blue as it is now absolutely to die for!!
    Sherry

26. Terry March 28, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Love your chair. I just spotted one that looks very similar on the Nieman Marcus website … for a whole lot more!

27. amy March 28, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Love the chair too…BUT I especially love that little pillow! Did you make it? If so how and if not where did it come from?

• perfectlyimperfect March 29, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Hey Amy! I didn’t make it–found it on One Kings Lane one day–I think it may be French Laundry HOme? I’ll look at it again when I’m up at the antiques store. :-)

28. Dorothy March 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Verrry pretty! Can you tell us how you did the painting with the upholstery still on? The idea kind of terrifies me. Thank you. :)

29. Jeannie-JB March 29, 2012 at 7:59 am #

So beautiful,Shaunna!

30. Nitenitemommy.blogspot.com March 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Wonderful job on the chair. I soo want to learn how to reupholster, but it seems too confusing. Do you have any quick tips? Also the chalkboard paint is such a great idea. I’ve seen the paint used on Easter Eggs etc… Great post! And beautiful blog, of course.

31. Melissa March 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I love these colors together! Tell me where I can find the adorable pillow!

32. joyce jonovich April 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

I love your chair and I know exactly what you mean about looking for furniture to “fix up” ;)
    I’m always on the hunt. My favorite finds have been at 2nd hand stores and yard sales. I just finished the wood on my chair that I did a post about ( $17 find ). I’m getting it back from the upholsterer tomorrow!
    So excited! My finish is similar to yours. I especially love the blue velvet ;)

33. Caroline Harper April 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Wonderful, I love the contrast with the dark and light.
    Darn, wish I could go to your garage sale?
    A bientôt
    Caroline

34. Amanda April 13, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Oh my Gosh! I have a set of chairs in this same style and had no idea what kind of chairs they were! The legs and seat style are identical, but mine have a tufted back that kinda rolls into only one arm. Crushed yellow velvet and very unique.
    I love the dark blue contrasting the light paint work. So very nice!

35. Joell April 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Hi–I love to paint furniture too! I have just recently discovered AS Chalk Paint and I am looking for a nice simple gray color that is more “taupey gray” in color than bluish or anything else . I noticed that you used AS Paris Gray for this chair–does it have a hint of a bluish cast to it or is it more like a simple gray? Can you help? Thanks!!

• perfectlyimperfect April 16, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Hey Joell,
      The Paris Grey does have blue in it…beautiful color, though. Try mixing Old White and Graphite together or if you’re looking for a more putty color, French Linen is a new fave of mine. Good luck & most importantly, have FUN with it! :-)

36. franky May 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

such a beautiful chair! i need to try this method with chalk paint….any first timer pointers for me to work with chalk paint?