white walls

Howdy, friends.

First things first, I have to give a shout-out to Ree, a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman, for featuring our writing room today!  It was such a fun renovation that gave me a clean slate to write and paint in…and we’ve loved it every day since our addition.  Thanks, Ree, for the kind words and for introducing us to your readers!  If you’re new around here, poke around a bit.

If you don’t mind poking.

If you regular guys and gals wanna check out Ree’s post, and her thoughts on her “long room,” head on over!

We sure have been busy around here, but this morning it occurred to me that I haven’t shown you the new white walls downstairs.

It also occurred to me for the last 3 weeks while my wide lens was broken, and I was literally dreaming about my 18-55 Canon.

Regardless of my REM sleep schedule, here’s the beige before….

Photobucket

I have to remind you that we didn’t hate the color (Matt actually loved it), but I was feeling like our wide open living/kitchen/dining/entry was feeling a little disconnected from the rest of the house.

I’m also simply ready for backdrops that can be totally transformed with inexpensive, small updates.

I’m too fickle to like the same design trends forever, after all.

Photobucket

And here’s the white walls.

Ahhh, a breath of fresh, less beige air.

Photobucket

Don’t worry.  We’re not losing all color around here.  As a matter of fact, I’m thrilled to have it the most basic neutral so we can add shots of color here and there.

Do you see a new shot, speaking of that?

Shot of color, that is?  First one to spot it gets a wee little prize from yours truly.

Photobucket

As I was snapping a few pictures this morning, I realized I had not ever really given you the full angle before.  The whole tour of our open floor plan.

This above is our entry looking into the living room.  The breakfast nook is right around that corner to the right.

Less of a breakfast nook and more of a table and hutch crammed into a small space.  A perfect spot for the cereal spilling olympics every morning.

Photobucket

And the opposite direction…..yep, you’re getting a sneak of the dining room (there’s another at the end of this post, too).

And yes, the hardware thief is still at large.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

White walls aren’t for everyone, but I’m telling you, I love em.  Can’t get enough of em.

I want to stand in the middle of the living room and gaze into their perfect non-color all day.

Speaking of staring….

Photobucket

Our farmhouse table is D-O-N-E.  I’ll bring you the full reveal a little later in the week.

Until then, here’s to some quality time with your walls.

48 Responses to white walls

1. Cherie August 22, 2011 at 8:32 am #

That pretty turquoisey blue is your shot of color? I see it in the pictures, bottles, rug, and of course the dresser.

• perfectlyimperfect August 22, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Yep, but there’s one thing specifically blue that’s new….can you figure it out? :-)

• Harbormom August 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

It’s the blue pillow on your sofa!

2. Jeannine August 22, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Love the white. We’re headed for white in the bedroom, intentional not because that’s what you paint rental houses. Your drapes with the large stylized leaves are great. Are they new? I’m not sure I totally like that little red valance, but it is a pop of color.

• perfectlyimperfect August 22, 2011 at 9:12 am #

Thanks Jeannine. Hope your bedroom turns out great. We don’t have a lot of red here anymore, but we used to. That valance my mother made beautifully for us…and while it’s a little less my style now, I love that she (who is so talented and thoughtful) made it for us. Just don’t have the heart to take it down. ;-)

3. Stephanie August 22, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Cant wait to see the farmhouse table it looks beautiful!! Your house is lovely. The shot of color – the blue dresser??

4. Pamela August 22, 2011 at 8:37 am #

I, personally, LOVE white walls. I love a light house and nothing reflects light better than pure white! Plus I love changing colors with seasons in my decor and white is great as a back drop. It is easy to get a new look with different and fresh accessories. You painted furniture really stands out as well.

5. Stephanie August 22, 2011 at 8:41 am #

The blue chair, picture, or pillow?? Im just naming everything I can see. :)

6. Catie August 22, 2011 at 8:41 am #

It looks lovely Shaunna. Soo peaceful and calm feeling. I love every room you’ve shared with us. I’m still looking forward to the dining room reveal! : )

Is that a turquoise chair? Just a guess!

7. Ashley Malheiro August 22, 2011 at 8:43 am #

The blue chevron pillow?

8. adventuresindinner August 22, 2011 at 8:58 am #

Oh! I can’t wait to see the table. I love the white. Do you mind me asking where your living room drapes are from?

• perfectlyimperfect August 22, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Hey girl! They came from a Ballard’s store in Jacksonville, and were clearanced. Don’t know if they’re even still available. I love them….maybe check their estate sale online? Hope that helps! :-)

9. Christy Carlson August 22, 2011 at 9:00 am #

It’s that bright turquoise chair right?!? maybe?!

10. kate August 22, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Love it!!! It looks so light & open. I have been thinking painting my sewing room – I may have been inspired! :) Where are the slip covered couch & chair from?

11. Debbie@refreshrestyle.com August 22, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Shaunna,
    The rooms are beautiful! All the accessories really stand our against the white. There are no limits to the changes of the future!
    Debbie

12. Naomi August 22, 2011 at 9:42 am #

The edge of the turquise dining room chair? How cool!

13. Heather August 22, 2011 at 9:44 am #

What color white is that specifically? My hubs said if we could paint our first floor white (we currently have a very teal wall, which I love) I could paint the cabinets. I’m starting to think I should do it! I’d love to know what white you’ve used here :)

14. JanaLee August 22, 2011 at 10:15 am #

Love, love, love it. Is the new shot of blue by chance the dog/cat collar? :)

• perfectlyimperfect August 22, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Thanks Jana! Nope, not the collar, but I LOVE the way you think! :-)

15. Gabriella August 22, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I love the neutrals too. I’m in the middle of redoing my entire house. I’m going from Tuscan dark to coastal whites and blues. Your house is an inspiration. Is the shot of color in the glass jars up above the wooden entertainment center? Or is it the blue I see in the frames on the walls? Just guessing.

16. Melissa August 22, 2011 at 10:51 am #

I’m going to guess it’s those fantastic Mason jars on top of the entertainment center. I just love your living room.

17. Kacey August 22, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Looks perfectly lovely! I go back and forth about painting our tan walls white. I love them with the white trim, but then I think, ‘Oh, but wouldn’t they look gorgeous in white?’ I’ve decided to leave them until I can come to a conclusion. :)

Can’t wait to see that farmhouse table!

18. Debbie Tibbs August 22, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I love the aqua blue accents. I do the same in my house. It’s just a cheery, serene color to me. Love your white walls too! I know what you mean about needing a change.

19. Christine August 22, 2011 at 11:58 am #

It looks great, can’t wait to see the farm table!

20. Beth M. August 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

I see a shot of turquoise on a dining chair! You moved it out for the next pic! Sneaky!

21. cassie August 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

it looks beautiful! i love the white walls- they are a great backdrop and help highlight the textures in the room instead.

22. Maren August 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I can’t WAIT to see your farmhouse table. The PB Benchwright table is something I dearly and desperately love. I’m excited to see what you came up with. And if you possibly could . . . after your reveal of the table . . . could you also do a tutorial on how to build one? And sources for the hardware you found?

23. Shelley Thompson August 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

The blue # 8?

24. Adrianne collins August 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Is it the little peek of a blue blanket (?) in the wicker chest? Loving the white walls!

25. Sarah - Dodeline Design August 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Can’t wait until I’m out of apartment living so I too can escape the beige!

26. Leen August 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

oh I love the white walls, so bright and pretty! Your entire home is gorgeous :)

We recently remodeled our bath and painted the walls white, something I never thought a color lover like me would do but it came out prefectly!

27. Leen August 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Is the area rug the shot of color? I don’t remember seeing it before…

28. Amber August 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

I see that you’ve added something to the empty headboard backed frame but not sure if that’s the “shot” your talking about…?!

29. Amber August 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Ha!! Stupid autocorrect!!! It was supposed to say “beadboard” instead of headboard… Sheesh!

30. Harbormom August 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

It’s the blue pillow on the sofa!

31. Amber August 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

My other guess is the blue throw blanket on the couch. I’m looking on my phone so I can’t really tell if that’s new or not :)

32. Sherri Farrell August 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

What color/brand white did you use? I have a bizillion cans of sample paint and can’t come up with a great white!!! Thanks and it looks mahvelous!!!!

33. Traci August 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

ACK! I love the peak of the farmhouse table! LOVE IT!!!

• perfectlyimperfect August 23, 2011 at 7:00 am #

Thanks Traci!! It’s been a huge and fun project! Making leaves was a little time consuming, but totally worth it. Sealing it today! :-)
      love ya too!

34. Zsa Zsa August 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

There’s just something about white and neutral colors that’s really soothing. I love pops of color here and there, but nothing beats the elegance of all white!

35. Lisa~ August 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

How fun is it that I was there when it was happening? I am so glad to see it in all it’s glory. Looks wonderful! Lisa~

36. Amber August 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

I love the white walls! Can’t wait for the dining room reveal. I’m curious to know the shade of white you went with for the walls? – Amber

37. Marchelle August 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

The white walls really are very refreshing! Who’d have thought that just a slight adjustment in shade/tone would totally transform the look of your rooms! Beige wasn’t bad, but the white is crisp :)

Oh, and personally, I think your new shot of color is the green jar/bottle up on the entertainment center to go with your greenery in the IKEA pitcher…. but perhaps I just missed it before. My second guess would be the blue vase on the entryway table, which I totally adore!

38. Monique August 24, 2011 at 3:01 am #

Love the casual look… such a comfy feel! The new blue is the number 8 sitting on the framed mirror in the first picture.

39. Paula August 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Love your blog and am so grateful to The Pioneer Woman for introducing your wonderful work! Just grabbed a badge — totally adore your blog name and philosophy (not to mention white walls!). e-smiles.

40. Monique September 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Did anyone win with identifying the new spot of blue?

41. Jeanine September 22, 2011 at 8:00 am #

I love your blog and your home is so beautiful! I am also a big fan of white. What is the name of the color you used & who is it by?
    If no one has won in identifying the new spot of blue, I’m guessing its the dining room(or breakfast nook)chair that I see on the edge of the 3rd picture.