Or You Could Slow Down

Life moves quickly.

Better keep up.

Better make the best pie and take it to the most potlucks.  Better go to the gym more than any other mom.  Better take the kids to the every single sporting event this year.

You better clean the house every spare second & cook the perfect dinner every single night.  You better hurry, better get there, better excel before someone else does.  You should run hard, reach the farthest, blog the most, buy the most.

You should mow the yard the most, and make sure you keep those shrubs trimmed every single spring and fall.  You better worry about the neighbors loving your yard.  You better work so hard at pleasing everyone.

All the time.

You better go to the most church events because that makes you more spiritual, and you better pay attention to how your giving stacks up against the Jones’s.

Life moves quickly.

You better keep up.

Unless you change what your eye is fixed on.  The way you measure enough.  The way you approach your life.  Unless you silence that voice inside your head.

You better keep up.

Or…

You could just slow down.

“But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

–Matthew 6:33,34

, ,

22 Responses to Or You Could Slow Down

1. Danelle - Tattered Treasures January 22, 2014 at 7:23 am #

This very thing is what I am working on. When you have that creative “gene”, your mind just does not stop. It is a struggle every day trying to slow down! Thanks for the reminder. (-:

• perfectlyimperfect January 22, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

I totally get that, Danelle. I wrote about saying no this year, too…not every good opportunity is necessarily the right one to pursue at the time. All about selective creativity, ha!

2. Charity January 22, 2014 at 7:28 am #

I agree with Danelle, I’m to same. But, sometimes it’s nice to slow down and enjoy it all.

3. jessica @fourgenerationsoneroof January 22, 2014 at 8:15 am #

I couldn’t agree more! I call it the rat race and if you are not careful, the rats takeover! ha. Hope you are doing well and you are enjoying your shop. I am catching up around the blogosphere and saying hello to all my favorite bloggers that I am missed over the last few months. Have a great day Shaunna!

4. Jan January 22, 2014 at 8:59 am #

I’ve been the busy Mom, the working wife, the creative friend, the musician at church, etc. and enjoyed it all. Now I am the slower moving Grandma with time to read books and bake cookies with little ones and make drapes for our children’s’ homes. I am so blessed to have made it through all the busy, busy time to enjoy today. Thank you God for this day, I will treasure it! Hang in there Shaunna!

• perfectlyimperfect January 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

Thank you, Jan, for your precious comment. So encouraging!

5. Gretchen January 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

A to MEN sister!!! Love this!!! Thanks for sharing.

6. Gretchen January 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

A to MEN sister!!! Love this!!! Thank
    s for sharing.

7. HopejWilliams January 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

Life chose for me. But I am so thankful for all the hardships and the cost of that life event. I would not be where I am today if I hadn’t been where I was then! Thank you sweet Jesus for every single event in my life. I have so much more now with a WHOLE lot less. His timing was perfect, as always!

8. Tina @ What We Keep January 22, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Perfect post… It’s what I’m doing!

9. Sharon January 22, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

*SIGH* ahhhh, that feels better already …
    Thanks for posting this perfectly perfect post.
    Sharon.

10. Annie January 22, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

Wow this is so true!! We get so caught up in keepin’ up with the Jones’. I am guilty of it myself but hoping to change that this year!! I had 3 family members pass away last month and it has put it in perspective to make the most of the time we are here and make sure the ones that we love know it and not take it for granted that they know or that you’ll get up there next month to see them. It can all change in an instant. Thanks for another reminder!!

11. Mary January 22, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Oh, how I needed to read this! Thank you for posting.

12. Melanie January 22, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Just started following your blog. So glad I found you. Love this post and all the others I have read so far! Wish at times the whole world would just slow down and remember what is really important in life!

13. Ann V. January 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

I have been meditating and focusing on this verse in 2014! Your words are a great reminder!!

14. BrocanteuseRose January 23, 2014 at 9:11 am #

So true.

15. Mary January 26, 2014 at 7:36 am #

My word of the year is “simple”. I’m saying yes to the present moment with people…relationships. And saying no to pleasing the world.

16. Lisa January 26, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

17. Mindy January 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

I see so many people racing through life yet missing out on the important, documenting but not living. Trying hard to appreciate each day as it comes…Great verse and great post..

18. Dawn February 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

I’ve actually stopped having coffee dates and hanging out with friends to enjoy my children. Its easier to be in the moment with them rather than competing for my attention. Only little once.