grossest. post. ever.

I could have left well enough alone.

Probably should have.

I’m almost certain I’ll regret posting this, as it will surely disgust the strongest-stomached of you out there.

But it was kind of a cruddy day, and I needed a little humor to lighten my life a little.  Plus, sometimes I feel the need to justify to my family and anyone else who asks why we’re crazy enough to grow our own garden and buy organic, and drink half our body weight in water…

Share your reaction…cause, I swear, if you could have seen mine, you’d be rolling on the floor.

Here’s where I should insert that when I saw what you’re about to see, I had to question whether or not we had allowed a serial killer into our home.

Or a large, large rat.

So, you know what happens when you make a can of chicken noodle soup for your family and you store leftovers in an air-tight container for ONE week?

Yep.

It. grows. a. head. of. hair.

Not fuzz.  Hair.

You were warned.  I just HAD to show you.

For the sake of vegetable growers and organic farmers everywhere.

Chew on that for a while.

Might want to go grow yourself a garden.

photo SMILEY_FACE_1.jpg

86 Responses to grossest. post. ever.

1. Starr @ The Kiefer Cottage April 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I just grossed my husband out.

2. Baileywife April 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Is this a late April Fools joke?? That did NOT come from soup!!?? You had a cat with a extra large hairball, I’m. Certain of it!

3. Amanda P. April 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

i just puked in my mouth a little. probably not gonna be okay for the rest of the night!! please, please come back and tell us this is a joke! maybe then i’ll laugh too. :)

• perfectlyimperfect April 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

HI-larious, Amanda! Nope…I mean, I’m 100% serious. :-)

• Amanda P. April 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

i am trau-ma-tized. never eating soup again. i mean, why? why would soup grow hair?! (gag, puke.)

4. movita beaucoup April 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Best food post EVER.

5. Shanna Gilbert April 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

You are correct. That is the grossest thing EVER! LOL!

6. Bridget April 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

I found myself staring at it, oddly amazed, for a creepy long amount of time.

• perfectlyimperfect April 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

LOL, Bridget…yep. That’s what I did in the kitchen. For about 30 minutes. Could not stop. :-)

• Traci June 24, 2013 at 10:28 am #

me too….just weird

7. Jenn Grissom April 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!

8. Lisa Miller *Malone Street Studios* April 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

LOL oh this was funny! Oh the creatures you can find in the fridge sometimes!

9. Deb-IL April 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Are you SURE???? It looks like a bad toupee!!!

10. Creative Kristi April 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

that HAD to be longer than a week! either that or your fridge is not cold enough. (these are things I’m telling myself to make it less gross some how lol )

• perfectlyimperfect April 23, 2013 at 7:08 am #

LOL, Kristi…nope, all fridge cylinders were working! Maybe just a certain can that turned to grossness so quickly?!? :-)

11. Alathia April 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Icky!!! Is that for real? Seriously? You win the gross-out award. My stomach… So thankful that was in your house not mine. I would have vomited. I still might. lol

12. Karen U April 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Hilarious!
    And, funny how it’s kinda going gray :)

Karen

13. Paula Taylor April 22, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Wow! That is NARSTY!!!! Cannot believe you found that in your fridge!

14. Marilyn April 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

This is sooooooo disgusting! Never EVER eating canned soup again!!!!!!!

15. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline April 22, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

so yick! I wouldn’t have even been able to get a picture because unfortunately that big ball of hairball mold would have been all over me and the floor when I chucked it into the air screaming and gagging for dear life. eehhhl…..I seriously just got the chills. reminds me of the time a chinese food container that had leftover chicken goop in it got stacked in with the clean ones. I went to get a container to put some leftovers away and the worst smelling most gelatinous ick touched my hands and hit my nostrils at the same time. makes my skin curl just thinking about it!

16. Kristi Dodson-Skinkis April 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

LOVE the pic! My son thought it was a rodent. Fridge cleaning is every other Fri in my house. My husband and I alternate. This Fri. is my turn. We have had a couple family holidays… spring break. I am sure my husband skipped his turn.. God knows what is shoved in the “way back” of the fridge. So not looking forward to fridge cleaning! I wonder if Merry Maids do fridges??!!

17. Jamie Asper April 22, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Oh, my goodness! I would have screamed and then barfed, pretty sure, in that exact order! Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! Lol! I think you’re amazing for sharing this though. ~ Jamie

18. Kylee April 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

Seriously…that is just….I don’t know…feral? I will never look at a can of soup the same again.

19. Jamie Asper April 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Okay, what is it really?! I need to know! ~ Jamie

20. kim April 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

NO WAY!! That is disgusting! Hilarious that you shared! I’ll be sharing this link for sure.:)

21. Jessica April 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

You need to send that to someone. Not sure who, but someone that can explain that to us. Why. How. What are we eating!

22. Kat April 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Never never ever going to eat chicken noodle soup again in this life time or the next
    that is beyond revolting,but thanks for letting us know.

23. Melissa April 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

I have an MSG allergy so I never make canned soup. I don’t even eat soup at restaurants. Now that I have seen this picture I am so glad we don’t eat canned soups.

What is happening to the digestive system when you eat canned soup? I can’t even … so gross.

24. Tam April 23, 2013 at 6:06 am #

Not that I don’t trust your credibility, it’s just too much to fathom and has me wanting to buy a can of soup just to try it! That needs to go on 20/20 or something. Gross can hardly define it! I never eat the stuff and now I know I never will. Thanks for sharing… I think!??!!!

25. Kathleen April 23, 2013 at 6:44 am #

Maybe a new discovery for hair loss replacement?

• Sadie April 23, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Best comment here, Kathleen!!!!

26. liz April 23, 2013 at 6:47 am #

Wow!!! I have never seen anything like this before with leftovers . So now I JUST have to leave a bowl of canned chicken noodle soup in the fridge to see this for myself (and to gross out my son)!!! This would make for a great school science fair project.

27. Dorrie April 23, 2013 at 9:16 am #

I searched all over the Internet for pictures and could find a one that looked like this! Can you email me the brand? I would LOVE to try this as a science experiment with my kids :-) as a side note, this has to be the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen…I wouldn’t have even tried to salvage the container, lol!

28. Yancey April 23, 2013 at 9:33 am #

You could make a million selling that to bald men around the world! Patent it quick!

29. Mary April 23, 2013 at 10:08 am #

OK…you KNOW you made me look! Yep, that is so gross. Ummm…I’m glad you didn’t describe the smell that had to go with that! Sooo funny!

30. Lori April 23, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Years ago my sister in-laws made fun of me because my mid-elementary aged children had never eaten a can of chicken noodle soup. At first they thought my kids had never eaten chicken noodle soup and they appeared to feel sorry for them. Then when my daughter informed them in a very chipper tone that they had eaten chicken noodle soup, but mom’s soup started with a real live chicken and not a can opener, they ridiculed me that if I had a “real job (I’m an artist), I wouldn’t have time for such nonsense. It really hurt my feeling that they thought so little of what I do for a living and that they mocked my efforts to provide the very best I could in life to my family. I just sent them all emails containing a link to this along with a little note that I am so glad my children have never eaten what grew this dandy little chia pet! Thanks for sharing, you made my decade!

• Paulette April 23, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Lori, you are my hero. Your sister-in-law’s children will be envious of our children having better health in their adult years because of you.

I can’t believe that came from a can of soup. So glad I make it from scratch. You never know what’s really in there to begin with.

• Kim July 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

YOU, my dear, ROCK. And your SILs are lame.

31. Kitty Smothers April 23, 2013 at 11:53 am #

PLEASE share the brand name of soup so we can avoid it FOREVER.

• Carson April 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Amen!

32. Stephanie Blair April 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

Wow, that’s really really gross – who knew?? Maybe that can be a science project for one of my kids next year. :)

33. Debbi April 23, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

My son thought it was cat hair and my hubby thought it was a guys wig! Oh, yuck!

34. Allison Hunter April 23, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

That is just pure craziness. I showed Seth, my 14 yr old, and he was grossed out. I never get to do that! Thanks Shaunna!!

35. Marian Luther April 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

I have never seen anything like that…ever…and I’m old. I’m thinking this is just one more warning on processed foods. I am WAY busy in my life but I avoid as much as possible any foods that have been processed, especially canned. I might be talking through my nose hairs but that’s just what immediately comes to mind. I do think though I’ll be off food of all types for a couple of days now.

36. Lora April 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Oh no. I am gonna have nightmares. Of evil hairy chicken noodles.
    This has to be the work voo-doo. I cringe to think of what exactly made it sprout a hair rug.
    @#*&%. !!!!

37. jamie samuel April 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

that was just foul! but definitely worth the posr to break it up. if that wasnt organic like a can of some can in a supermarket well than i would attribute that to all the genetic modifications and hormones in our food. lol

38. Georgica Pond April 23, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

I think you should alert the public health authorities or the manufacturer of that soup and show them! That’s unbelievably bad!

39. Arleen April 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Oh my, I’ve seen a few nasty things come out of my frig but nothing as bad as that. It looks like it could have been alive at one time. I wish my husband had as much hair!

Very funny, thanks for sharing.

40. TJ April 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

Not the grossest post ever. That would be the post I did (with photos) on our bunny’s surgery (my son cleaned out an abscess and we took photos–eeeewwwwww!) Yours came in a close second, though! I’d never want to see that in my fridge.

41. Sally Lee by Sea April 23, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

OMG!! yuk is right!!

42. Bonnie April 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Apparently they are mold stalks w the spores on the end if it (how my husband knew this, I really dont care to know!)
    LOL
    YUK!
    My big Q is, did you clean the bowl or toss the bowl?

43. Lisa M April 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Oh my gosh! So funny! I needed a good laugh today!

44. Miss Mustard Seed April 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

That is so crazy! After just one week?! Nasty.

45. Jenny Holiday April 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Ohhh emmm geeee!! noooo wayyy!! I came here from pinterest! Ha! This is mind melting!! Howww on earth!! I feel lightheaded! Ha!

46. Carson April 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Um, are you sure grandpa’s toupee didn’t accidentally drop into it?!!! I have goosebumps EVERYWHERE. Bah! Pretty sure this should go into some science museum as the nassssssstiiiest mold ever!

47. judith hall April 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

not only is it growing hair, the hair is beginning to go gray! I wish I wouldn’t have looked…

48. maureen April 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Thank you for that laugh and your humor in writing it.

49. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles April 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I saw the pic in my email and was sure you were going to show us some amazing way to clean out a hairbrush. Darn! ;)
    I’ve had lots of weird things growing in my fridge before, but never anything with hair. My brain is shaking its head.

50. Sarah April 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Showed this to my 7 year old and he said “who took off grandpa’s hair!! So laughing my head off…extremely gross but so strangely funny. I needed a good chuckle!

51. Michelle April 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

No way…. I thought you were going to say you pulled that out of your drain. I can’t wait to show my husband. Maybe now he’ll listen to me about eating food that is processed. Yuck!

52. Tricia April 23, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

OMGosh, I thought it was a hair toupee. LOL

53. Jeni@RestoringPiece April 23, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

Hair. HAIR.
    I have so many words, but I would need to reattached my jaw in order to speak.

Kuh-Ray-Zay.

54. Peggie April 24, 2013 at 5:04 am #

You need to put this pic on your facebook page so we can all share it! YUCK! But maybe someone has an explanation for the hair… that is weird. I thought it was a critter at first till I read it…

55. Starr Moore April 24, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Yuck! I’ve got to try that!

56. Karen Owens April 24, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Only after one week????? That is definitely scary!!!!!!!!! We only eat canned chicken noodle soup when we are sick!!! Now I will definitely re think my decision before EVER buying canned soup again. The chicken pieces in it have always kinda grossed me out!!! Now I know why!!!!!!!! Ha !!!!!!

57. Kim a. April 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

What the *bleep* is that??!! Lord have mercy, that did not come from a food product we feed our children!? Seriously!?I feel the need to put a can of soup in a container and leave it in my fridge for a week…but not really, at all…

58. Lucrecia April 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

It needs a lil trim to tidy things up!!

59. elaine April 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

ok so that is totally disgusting. glad i make my own soup. never again!

60. Megan C April 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

That is totally gross and for some odd reason is cracking me up as well. Makes me so disgusted!!! That is so very very disgusting!!!

Reminds me of when I purchased a “healthy” granola bar from the grocery store and kept it past it’s fresh date. I opened it and started eating it. I then happened to look down and realized it was filled with live weevils. I think the fresh date is the date at which the weevils would not have yet hatched. They don’t want you to eat it after that date because then you might realize you’re really eating bunches of weevil eggs. Ugh. Now I make my own granola bars from scratch.

61. Angie April 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Isn’t it sad that we were all warned not to look but we just HAD TO! It was absolutely disgusting. However, I almost peed my pants reading the responses; so totally worth it!

62. Jayne April 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Wow! It grows hair with highlights!

63. Vickie April 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I read this post yesterday, and it totally grossed me out!! THEN, I actually had a dream about it last night, so I had to come back and comment so I can get this photo out of my head. :)

64. Tammie April 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

OMG!!! This is totally disgusting. But I was laughing so hard as I read your blog!! LOL! You are so funny. And I’m having a hard time believing it’s real……but I’m trying!
    I will never buy canned soup again that’s for sure!

65. vera April 26, 2013 at 11:57 am #

HOLY. CRAP. That is definitely THE most disgusting thing I’ve seen in a long time. That is exactly why I don’t buy canned soup. Hubby and I always make fresh, homemade soup and the kids love it!

Wow.

Vera

66. caroline [the diy nurse] April 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

This is so disturbing. I love it. Please pin under ‘chicken noodle soup.’

67. Amy April 29, 2013 at 4:24 am #

How on earth!?!?!?!?!?!

I really hope I am not scarred for life, I thnk I am….

68. Molly April 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

My word! Of course I had to look after that amazing post header. lol But seriously….with all the preservatives our modern foods contain how in the world is that possible???

So glad I read this AFTER dinner. Thank you for the good laugh and for keeping it real here with us!

69. Melissa May 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

So I’m just now seeing this post. I must say I’m a little nauseous after looking at it but it is kind of like a train wreck….you just can’t quite look away. I don’t think I’ll ever eat a can of soup again! LOL

70. Amber McMullin May 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

It seriously looks like chest hair!!! SOOOO GROSS! Never again will I eat canned soup.

71. Allison May 20, 2013 at 9:47 am #

You seriously need to slap a hair bow on that! Or a hat. I see a series of soup hair accessories. ( yep… I’m sick….)

72. Pat May 28, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I first want to say thank you for your blog; I love it! I found you through Pinterest. I laughed hysterically at your “fridge science project.”. Then my entrepreneurial mind kicked in: goodbye “Hairclub For Men and Dr. Bosley” move over to a more organic male baldness solution–lather chicken soup on the head, seal it tight for a week–instant hair! I will have to add this to our science curriculum and see if we can achieve your results. Love the chalk paint recipe. I’m going to try it on our classroom furniture.

73. angela May 28, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

mother of god.

74. Adriana June 29, 2013 at 5:52 am #

Bahaha that is just the most revolting thing i have seen, but it did make me laugh my head off, all the comments are just priceless!!! Made my night in a kind of gross but so facinating i have to look at it way :P

75. Sandra July 14, 2013 at 11:48 am #

OMG! That is so gross…but also very interesting. Think about it, all those balding men out there, you could have this much hair growth in just one week…that’s if you don’t mind being wrapped in plastic wrap and hanging out in the fridge for a week!!! LOL

I love it! I hope you cracked at least a smile! :)