shop talk: this week, design, & the ode to Adam

Hello friends!

It feels like it’s been quite a while since we last spoke.  We’ve had a busy week at the shop, and while the work has been a LOT, it’s been wonderfully challenging & productive.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

We’re taking on a few design clients now, and I must say, this is thrilling for me~  We’ve done lots of online consultations and inspiration boards, but to take one of those and actually fulfill it to completion rocks my world.

This 100 year old farmhouse has been filling my mind this week…and I’ve been drawing up boards for every single room.  We’re thrilled about this project and I can’t wait to share more with you as we progress!

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

Sometimes, just sometimes, I’m happy with the look I pull together for myself.  I was best dressed in my class y’all.  Really.

Now, I’m lucky if I find a clean pair of jeans.  Finding this necklace at my cousin’s shop was a stroke of inspiration, though, and bling met plaid a few days last week.

Bling meet plaid.

Plaid meet bling.

You’re welcome.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

The kids and I made a MONUMENTAL mess at the shop on Monday while we were closed, and worked on some finishes for the Advanced Chalk Paint® class I taught last week.

Kind of like this…

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

That was a plastic coated kitchen cabinet door.

Glory to Chalk Paint®.  Amen.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

I have the best helper/son in the world.

He is the master of unpacking pillows and paint stacking.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

Truth:

After days and days of 10 hour computer hours logged, working at the shop, doing school…sometimes I crash.

Like I make myself sit around until 10 am and do almost nothing.

It recharges me so I can face more looming responsibility…sort of.

Don’t judge me.  Please?

********************************

In other news, we’ve hired a new employee at the shop.

Natalie is the bomb.com at a million things…but it was getting hard for her to complete a million things a day.

Enter Adam.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

Dear Adam,

You’re kind of quirky.  I’m glad you get lots of exercise curling paint cans and using that itty bitty hammer.  We love your OCD-ness & your glasses.  Thanks for coining, “Make it Cute!” and for cleaning up the back.

We know, Natalie….you helped too.

You’ve gotta learn something about that Chalk Paint stuff we sell.  You know what I’m talking about?

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

(I think Matt may have a man-crush on Adam.  I have a crush on his mad organizing skills & the plaid.)

Thanks for joining the team, our weird young padawan.  We’re so happy you’re around.

P.S.  Thank you, Natalie, for providing us with all of our current and future employees.   Do you charge for that service??

******************************

Hope you guys have an inspired and productive weekend, sans hiding under the covers drinking too much coffee.

Oh, wait, that was me.

, , ,

12 Responses to shop talk: this week, design, & the ode to Adam

1. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline February 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

I’m quite digging the plaid and bling together!

2. Marsha February 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Can’t wait to visit your store!

3. Diane February 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

OK, I almost spit out my afternoon cookie break at the “Adam and his itty bitty hammer” remark…I loved it…I actually had to go back and check out the hammer….ROFL…Thanks for making me laugh today .
    Your necklace and plaid shirt look so professional. Love it.. :)

4. Marian February 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Of course we’ll judge you! You are awesome!!! You know that you can’t keep going and going and that you have to stop and refuel – even if it’s with a vat of coffee. Kudos to you for recognizing that you have to take care of you :) You’re a joy and inspiration to us all and I for one thank you for being so!

Can’t wait to see more on the farmhouse, it looks like a delicious project to delve into!

5. Mida February 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Please provide a brief breakdown of the cabinet process looks like a Florence base and an Old Ochre dry brush.

6. Connie Nikiforoff Designs February 22, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Hey Shauna it’s OK to take time off. I get some of my best work done in jammies ;-) That’s one of the perks of having home based businesses. And sometimes I don’t get up so early but decide to work late into the evening when I feel creative.

Enjoy your life…no matter what time of the day it is ;-) But ya know, sometimes what ya really need is a nap…so you don’t have to guzzle caffeine. Hee hee!

7. Tammie February 24, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Glad things are going well! Can’t wait to come back to the shop!

8. linda February 25, 2013 at 9:48 am #

love the plaid and multicolor necklace together. Have just the thing to mimic the look. Planning all the painting to do when hubby goes on a 2 week trip! Like the glimpse into the daily you enjoy. Thanks for sharing it.

9. Karen Calvert February 27, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Hi. I cannot get on your shop space. But it appears you carry mms and cc and as chalk paint? I’d like to order. I think I bought your ebook but I cannot find it. Can you tell me how I can see if I did. Please email me. I tried the contact tab as well sorry to use your comment section.
    Thanks karen

10. Lasso the Moon March 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Hope I get to come visit someday from Dallas! I’m glad you have such lovely workers helping you out. Hope you can share lots of shots of your work in that farmhouse. So exciting!
    Anna

11. Christine March 4, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Why oh why can’t I see a single picture in this post :-( they’re all question marks