shop talk: go with your gut

Happy weekend, friends!

shop talk | perfectly imperfect

Welcome to another addition of shop talk–this was a busy week for us as orders from Market began arriving.

I can’t wait to tell you about all of that, but I wanted to answer some of your questions about how we chose product, etc.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

Here’s the thing:  we choose what we love.  period.

We shop for the shop the same way we shop for our home.  We love it–it’s worth a try.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

It’s very tempting to buy items you think people will love…or you think they’ll buy.

But I’m convinced that doesn’t lead to true success.  Buying what we love guarantees our style is what you see in our shop.  Does that mean it’s for everyone?  Definitely not…but I’m not trying to win everyone over.  We have our own style and it will appeal to certain people…and those people like our style.

Make sense?

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

I created our shop to be a destination–an experience.  I hope that as we grow, we can change it more and more frequently, creating a new experience many times you visit.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

For instance, we’ve turned 3 couches in 2 months–I NEVER thought we’d sell sofas first.  Never…but we’re going with it.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

We also shop vendors with a bit of a flea-market philosophy.  The new items mix in with the vintage ones & we carry only a few at a time–and it all feels like you’re getting one-of-a-kind pieces with the occasional main-stayers.

Which is exactly the way we style our home.  There’s a method behind the madness.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

As we speak, the shop looks totally different than these pictures.  Yesterday, we received over 200 new items, and oh my goodness, that was crazy.

Crazy fun.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

The point is:  My philosophy in choosing product is simple:

–Do I love it?

–Would I put it in our home?

–Is it completely unique or a great buy of other alternatives?

–Can I sell it much less than a typical home decor/design firm would?

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

So, good or bad, right or wrong–that’s how I’m shopping.

But just like this blog, it’s all me, for better or worse.

shop talk | perfectly imperfect | home decor store

swooning over these grain sacks

So far, so good.

P.S.  As always, ask anything you want to know about our shop, business, etc. in the comment section below!

, , ,

25 Responses to shop talk: go with your gut

1. martha.anne (@themarthaanne) February 2, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Oh… I love everything!! It must feel like your birthday every time you get in a new order!! :)

2. Julee Rachels February 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Exactly how I felt about my store! Always go with your gut and buy what you like. It makes it easier to sell – and you have to sell so you can keep buying all the new things that come out that you will love and want for your store! Best wishes! I wish I lived closer so I could shop in your store.

3. Alathia February 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Wait! You’re carrying grain sacks in your shop? Road trip!!!

4. Centsational Girl February 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

I love your philosophy Shaunna, yes trust your instincts, go with your gut, it’s pretty much always right! The shop looks fabulous my friend!
    xo
    Kate

5. Nikki Dahl February 2, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Wow! Thanks for the awesome tips! I will be incorporating them into my way of doing business! The shop looks great!

6. South 47th February 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

Love your shop! Blessing for success, not easy in these times, however when you do what you love it somehow works out!

xo

7. Flower Patch Farmgirl February 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Unbelievable eye candy! SO wish you weren’t so dang far. I’d gladly come and nap on one of those sofas. ;)

LOVING that chippy charcoal and white cabinet! Swoonaroony.

8. Rachel February 2, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

I would buy every single thing you have in these pictures. I love it all.

9. linda February 3, 2013 at 8:15 am #

i did the same kind of buying when we had ourshop….another thing i did was i always turned over products within a year…that way the shop always looked fresh….so my 50% off closet was a must….if it was in our shop for over a year…it went to the closet…i must ask…..i want that pillow…..the one with the number 208 on it……love it…..do you sell online….thanks

10. Connie Nikiforoff Designs February 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Tremendous shopping/stocking philosophy! You go girl :-)

11. Deb February 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

I love everything Shaunna…love your style! I too was wondering if the No. 208 pillows will be available to order online? Your shop just looks amazing!

12. Kathi February 3, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

When are you starting your on line shop. I am all the way up in Vermont……..No road trip down south in the near (or not so near) future. This is torture!!!

13. simply6daisies February 3, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Is there a difference between the Intro class and the Play w/paint class. Trying to figure out which I would need. Have painted several pieces already, but kinda looking for confirmation on the waxing process to make sure I’m correct in my methods. Almost think I could do the advanced class if not for that.

14. Jeni @ Restoring Piece February 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Thank you for saying this; for giving me the freedom to be OK with not stocking or creating things I do not love. We have recently become involved with a market here in Tuscaloosa. In the past few months I have had a few folks suggest that we sell or make a certain style in our booth “because it will sell” and I have been adamant about staying focused on what we love and feel passionate about.
    “Hi, my name is Jeni and I am happy with my personal stye.” ;0)

15. michelle February 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

I have been looking for a couch just like that, could you send me info about how I could purchase etc….thanks so much and congrats on your new shop!

16. Cyndia February 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

I love everything you have in your store. I was just curious; what are the brands of sofas that you carry? That one in the pic looks SO comfy! I’m in N. Alabama. Must plan a road trip soon!

17. Ash February 4, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Oh how I wish I was closer! My friend Beth almost had me buying a plane ticket to come take your chalk paint class with her. Darn those kids who can’t stay by themselves for a few days alone :-) I am hooked (maybe obsessed is a better word) on the chalk paint, and I want those couches!

18. JenO February 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Pinned a couple of things. Does the chain link bedding come in any other colors? Also, I love(!) that No. 208 pillow! If you sell out in the store, can you order more?

• perfectlyimperfect February 6, 2013 at 7:53 am #

hey friend! I think so on the pillow–we did buy it last year, so I’m not sure how many the manufacturer has left. And I’ll check on the bedding for you–we are going to be carrying more bedding in the future, too! Can’t wait to see you guys again!! :-)

19. linda February 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

hey friend…..i asked about that pillow and never heard back from you…any idea’s on who carries it in my neck of the woods….i guess you are sold out by now…just checking back in ….

• perfectlyimperfect February 10, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Hey Linda! I’m sorry about that! Which pillow? I’m not sure if I’ll be able to help on who carries it, but I’ll sure try! If we have one still, we’re happy to ship, too.

Thanks!! :-)

20. Leslie February 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

What are your store hours. Going to be coming right through Troy on a “college looking” trip with my son. I want to stop by. Thanks.

• perfectlyimperfect February 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Hey Leslie!
      We’re open Tues-Fri, 10-5:30 and Saturday 10-4. :-)

21. Laurie February 25, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

I am wondering how you chose your location. I have been working on a location for months and just can’t decide! So many pros and cons for each one! Any help or insight would be great!
    Love your shop!

Laurie
    Bellingham WA

22. Elyse March 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

I was wondering where you are ordering from?? I’m in the process of opening a booth at a market, I would love to know!