MMS Milk Paint | Lucketts Green Chest

Happy Monday to you guys.

We are all resting and trying to recover from last week’s apocalypse flu, and thank the Lord for Tamiflu, I’m feeling better.  A HUGE thanks to my sweet mom and dad (and Lance and Sara), who had all just barely recovered from their own sicknesses, for sweeping in and taking the kids off my flu-ridden hands.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

I haven’t proclaimed my love for Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint on the blog yet.  Consider it proclaimed.

We received our stock right before opening the shop, and oh my goodness, I barely got open, so blogging about the Milk Paint didn’t even occur to me.  Marian, your paint is fun, unpredictable, and downright thrilling when it chips!

When I saw this funny little empire chest of drawers (on original casters), I just knew it had to go a fun color.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

And again, I’m shooting pictures as it comes in and out the doors.  Oh, well.  This fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants style of photography is one of the things I’m embracing to create  more room for the good stuff and spending less time majoring in the minors.

You know what I mean?

And isn’t that Lucketts Green fabulous?!?

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

And if you’ve read Marian’s blog, you know Milk Paint is totally unpredictable.  Sometimes it sticks, and sometimes it doesn’t.  This time, it only flaked away in one or two spots.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

I really wanted this piece to chip away a little more, so I gently ran a putty knife along the surface.  This pulled paint off in bits and pieces, mimicking the look it might have had if the paint had chipped on its own.

I’m swooning over this green.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

Do you see all the variation of color?  Yellow, blue, grass, emerald….all these miraculous hues come together beautifully.

It’s official.

Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint | perfectly imperfect | DIY Painted Furniture

I love Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint as much as I thought I would.

Any questions about it?  We’ll be listing it soon on our new website, but in the meantime, I thought I’d write out some tips I’ve found while using it.  If you haven’t visited Marian’s site to see her video tutorials, head here for the scoop.

, ,

24 Responses to MMS Milk Paint | Lucketts Green Chest

1. Shanna Gilbert January 28, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Wonderful job on this piece! It looks amazing!

2. elaine January 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

it looks great. makes me want to try the paint again!

3. Elizabeth@BlueClearSky January 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

That is one gorgeous colour and a fun little chest! I think your photos show the colour and piece just fine. Good to hear you are feeling better. Flu’s can be so nasty.

4. Miss Mustard Seed January 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

That piece looks awesome, girl. Love it. I haven’t done a tutorial on it, yet, but if you use the hemp oil in places you want to chip before you paint, it will give you the most perfect chippiness.

• Jody January 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Thanks for this tip!!! I can’t wait to try the hemp oil technique.

5. Sandi January 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

This piece turned out perfect! You have a great eye for how a piece needs to look. What type finish did you put on the paint?

6. Gail Moretz January 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Love it. Want to purchase some. Live in rural, coastal nc. Don’t mind ordering online. Please get it set up. Thanks and love your work.

7. Jeannie-JB January 28, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

Love that Lucketts Green!

8. Jenn @ Home Style Report January 28, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

I would have never guessed you could see all of the color variations in this paint! Great job!!!

9. Anna@agoodhome January 28, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Whoa, that green is AWESOME! I haven’t tried Marian’s paint yet, but I’ll certainly be trying it when you start selling it :)

10. Marian January 28, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Shaunna,
    That is the first piece in Luckett’s Green that I have LOVED. Excellent work. And I am so glad to hear that things are going a bit smoother for you health wise.

11. Denise T January 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Gorgeous color ….. like the style of dresser. I love Miss Mustard Seed milk paint. I am thinking that this Lucketts green will work on one of the dressers.

12. Charlotte Conner January 28, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Love it! My first MMS experience is at: http://cre8ivecharly.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/milk-paint-virgin/

13. ZoeAnn Yussman January 28, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Glad to hear you are recovering- nasty stuff this flu.
    I so wish I lived close enough to attend one of your furniture painting classes- this is a pretty basic question… when would you use milk paint vs using the chalk paint?
    Thank you for sharing your work- this chest is gorgeous in green!

14. martha.anne (@themarthaanne) January 29, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Ohh I love this green… Can you get chalk paint in Canada?

15. HarriDec January 29, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Looks great, nice results. Looks really authentic, another good thing to do is to use crackle glaze for a distressed look when painting furniture.

16. Bev January 30, 2013 at 5:38 am #

Beautiful piece! I am a newbie to painting furniture, working on my first piece now using home made chalk paint while I wait for my first order of MMSMP to arrive which I just found out should be tomorrow! Can’t wait to try it! Painting furniture is fun…Love what you did to the piece!

17. Florence Riemer February 1, 2013 at 6:20 am #

This vintage-style looks beautiful and romantic.
    The coulour variations are stunning!

18. Crystal Kirk February 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Love this color. Great job! I have used MMS several times but only once without the bonding agent and the entire piece chipped away. I ended up re-painting it with the bonding agent but, have since been too intimidated by the chipping to try again. I’ve watched all of the videos and Marian is amazing! She is the reason I purchased MMS over AS chalk paint. I suppose I will try again. I’m just a bit nervous now. Your chest really did turn out gorgeous and I hope to be able to accomplish the same outcome!

Crystal

19. house painters brooklyn ny February 18, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Picture perfect!! Nice color and love the rustic look of the paint. Love to paint one of the coffee at home ;-)

20. Lisa Summerhays March 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Love it! You’ve got skills!!

21. Eco friendly house painting August 8, 2013 at 5:11 am #

Wow! This looks wonderful. Liked the paint color

22. Manda Wolf August 23, 2013 at 9:44 am #

You did a great job, I love the color and how well it was distressed.