cottage chest makeover

Well, it seems like forever since I’ve shown you a furniture makeover around these parts.  I’ve painted plenty, but rarely gotten around staging and shooting.

So I’ve decided to be a little less worried about such things, and snap a picture literally as the pieces are on their way out the door.

chalk paint | painted furniture | how to paint furniture | perfectly imperfect

And this technically doesn’t count as a makeover, since I can’t find the before’s.  I LOVE these cottage-style chests with the huge knobs…I could paint a million and never get tired of them.

chalk paint | painted furniture | how to paint furniture | perfectly imperfect

I painted the body of the dresser in French Linen Chalk Paint™  & the drawers in Old White.  After painting, I finished it off with distressing, and clear and dark wax.

But I had special plans for the top…

chalk paint | painted furniture | how to paint furniture | perfectly imperfect

I used Annie Sloan’s Craqueleur (2 steps) on it, and I love. it.  This is not like a big box store crackling product…it creates these tiny, beautifully worn cracks…the kind you actually find on antique furniture.

chalk paint | painted furniture | how to paint furniture | perfectly imperfect

They are actually sooo difficult to see until you dark wax, but after that?

Magic.

If you haven’t given it a try, do it!  I also put the craqueleur (which Matt calls Crack-a-lack-in) here and there along the sides and edges of the piece, and it was a beautiful touch.

I realize I didn’t take pictures of that, but snapping on the way out the door, remember?

What have you painted lately?  I’ll be back to show you a fun little boy’s dresser tomorrow!

Photobucket

, , ,

12 Responses to cottage chest makeover

1. ZoeAnn Yussman November 29, 2012 at 8:01 am #

I think you have inspired me. We have an old desk with the drop top- It’s quite banged up and needs help. I have been hesitant to paint it- BUT NOW…. well no time soon but I am going to do it. THANKS

2. Chrystal @ The Shabbiest Chick November 29, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Soooo purty! Craqueleur makes me ridiculously happy too. You think it’s nothing, and then, BAM! The dark wax kills it! It also made me giggle when I overheard my son telling his friend that I used crack on a hutch… YIKES!!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

3. Alison from Texas November 29, 2012 at 10:34 am #

I’m so happy I decided to check out your site this morning! I am just about to start a new painting project on a friend’s little hall table. I was wondering what to do with the top, something different perhaps? And lo’ here is your lovely piece with the confidence-building commentary on the 2-step ease of crackling. I can’t wait to give it a go!

4. Jessica Singletary November 29, 2012 at 11:06 am #

LOVE the Craqueleur! I’ve used it a few times on my frames but have big plans for it on a few pieces I’m getting ready to finish! The chest is gorgeous!

• Eowynn March 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

I love the idea of this Craqueleur look! However i find with the look of the drawer like that it doesn’t blend with many other peices in my room and you would need a very simple style making that your main furniture piece. I love the idea of the frames though because those are very simple but you could do many of them and start a whole look for cheep. I want to try the Frames before a huge project like a drawer.

Frames could be very cute and easy to help change the style of my room and a great practice with using Craqueleur.

5. Holli November 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Absolutely beautiful! Great idea!

6. Debbi Crosby November 29, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Love it! In my shop I have sold so many pieces that are gray and white! It’s my new favorite. I just recovered some dining chairs with fabric that was gray, white and yellow! Keep up the inspiration. I love your blog.

7. Jeannie-JB November 30, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Great chest – I love it. I see it sold already, and boy am I not surprised! I’m coming to Gulf Shores for Christmas with my preggers daughter – we are hoping we can stop into your store while we’re there. I can’t wait to see it!

8. Sarah Williams December 3, 2012 at 6:10 am #

This worn cracks effect is really impressive – so realistic! I’m actually in the middle of remaking a few pieces of furniture and really need this kind of ideas. Thanks!

9. Lindsay at Life of Splendor December 6, 2012 at 8:09 am #

Wow, I LOVE that piece of furniture. I actually have a chest very much like this and we’ve been using it in its wood condition because I have not been able to figure out how I wanted to paint it. I think I found my inspiration!!!

10. lisa April 3, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I love this crackle look. I’ve been wanting to try it but didn’t know ASCP had one. I will have to get some. Here’s what I’ve painted lately. Its a little bit of a departure for me from my normal “shabby/vintage” style but I am in love!

And I totally get taking a picture that’s not perfect. That just takes waaaayyy too long and I would rather be paintin’!

Cheers! Lisa

11. Jessica June 26, 2013 at 5:48 am #

Love this! Exactly the look I’m looking for my bedroom re-do!