day 16: the confessions of old shop renovator

Let me just confess something.

I’ve run out of adrenaline.

I looked around the shop today, after a week away, and I had the thought.

The thought that most people renovating an old shop or home probably all have.  Granted, they might not have it after 3 weeks of tearing down, pulling out, sweeping, dusting, and painting (only to have it look like we just started).  But I bet they all have it.

Am I crazy?  It would have been so much easier to choose a move-in ready shop.

Coming home to a mile-long to do list is a little different than just coming home.  We had some surprises (as you always do in any big project)–the baseboards were rotten, so we can’t use those.  The paint left behind the air ducts now exposed is lead-based and flaking.  We can’t get rid of it, so we just have to prime over all the flakes and paint it up.  There is dust and dirt covering everything.  There’s a LOT of painting to do.  The back where we’ll ship from is cluttered and covered in (more) dust.  We are stacking up a lot of backorders and I’m wondering how we’ll fill the shop by Nov 1 or Nov 15 or whenever we open.

But then I woke up and my husband was gone–gone to my shop, cleaning up the huge mess so we can keep moving forward.  I glanced at a picture of that brick wall, and remembered how my children giggle everytime we say “mommy’s shop.”  It will be another part of my family, a place for us to make memories, and that brick wall will serve as a backdrop to more than furniture makeover shoots.

It’s taking serious work, but when it’s done, this place will be amazing.

I’ve run out of adrenaline.

But that’s okay, because I’ve traded it in for something else.

Determination.

18 Responses to day 16: the confessions of old shop renovator

1. Tracy October 16, 2012 at 7:25 am #

THERE you go!

2. Jennifer G October 16, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Been “stalking” your blog for a long time… Love everything you have to share. Hoping you have renewed energy because I imagine its going to be fantastic! Can’t wait to see but totally no pressure ;)

3. Lisa October 16, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Keep up the great work! The positives outweigh the negatives by far and the shop is going to turn out awesome!

4. Rhonda McCleskey October 16, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I am SO.THERE.with you! We are on the process of moving our shoppe for the SECOND time this year! Both places we’re complete renovations……A TON OF WORK. Somehow we just manage to keep going. We left the shoppe at 10 pm last night and my “classroom” is FULL…..we have our first Chalk Paint 101 class in there this Saturday with 15-18 students…..and today is Tuesday. Need I say more?
    I totally get it Girlfriend…….I totally get it! But we will get there and it will be so worth it. To God be the Glory! Blessings…….now go get a big mug o’coffee and get busy!

5. Deb Owen October 16, 2012 at 7:42 am #

I can only imagine how tired you must feel! Yet it’s still all part of Living the Dream, and you’ll cherish it even more because of the blood, sweat and tears you’ve put into it. When you build it with your own two hands (and the hands of your family and friends) it just means more! Carry On!

6. Vicki October 16, 2012 at 7:49 am #

You are so inspiring! Period.

7. Gloria October 16, 2012 at 8:03 am #

His Will will not take you where His grace will not keep you.

Many of us believe not only in your vision, but also in the heart’s desire that this is so much more than a business.

Thoughts,prayers and wishing I lived close enough to come with broom in hand to help.

Press toward the mark in His amazing grace.

8. Robbie Zeller October 16, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Praying for you! God will renew your strength…keep on trusting!

9. Kristy October 16, 2012 at 9:34 am #

I really love this part:

“I’ve run out of adrenaline.

But that’s okay, because I’ve traded it in for something else.

Determination.”

Isn’t that just so true? Both are so unnecessary in any undertaking.

10. Debbie Fitz October 16, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Just breath!!

11. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage October 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Fire up that Keurig!

12. Baileywife October 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Beautifully put…and we are all “behind you”. (although not very helpful!) ~Kim

13. H. October 17, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Determination….It’s about the climb! Wait until you get to the other side!!! I envy you this, I have said my whole life I will open a store. Someday I will like you!

14. Stephanie October 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Determination is what will carry you over the finish line. Adrenaline is fleeting, but it serves an important purpose. Now you get to prove what you’re made of.

15. Diana @ 107Vintage October 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

I agree wholeheartedly – just dig in.. Determination is what makes America the
    land that she is ! It also makes a wonderful leader- the job will get done, and
    you will be so proud. We will be proud for you and WITH you.
    God has so blessed with you with many gifts, and put the desire within you-
    You will be truly amazed how he brings people into your life that can
    really use a dose of that joy- a joy that only he can give.

Diana

16. Geri October 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

There are so many ups and downs when things are worth it.
    I can see it all. How wonderful your shop will be. I can see your family
    as an important part of it all. Friends to cheer you, faith to guide you.
    You will give “determination ” new meaning. Prayers and warm wishes,Geri.

17. denyse@crazy beautiful life October 18, 2012 at 5:43 am #

I run out of adrenaline all the time, but like you I am determined ! It’s a great thing to live by…You will get your adrenaline back after the overwhelming feeling goes away!

Have a crazy beautiful weekend ;-)