day 10: the ceiling issue

The ceiling.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

It’s tricky business.

I, of course, wanted to rip that commercial tile sucker down.

Underneath, there were nasty linoleum tiles, and underneath that, beautiful tin tiles.  And we needed to leave the grid up so we could add the tiles back if the heating and air bills became ridiculous.

So, despite all reasoning, we started ripping that ceiling down.

31 Days to OPEN | perfectly imperfect

And then we learned there were boards nailed to the beautiful tin.

We could have stopped there, put the tiles back.

But there were original rafters above the tin.

So we’re ripping that down, too.

, ,

17 Responses to day 10: the ceiling issue

1. Dixie Redmond October 10, 2012 at 6:48 am #

I love your posts and seeing your shop come to life. Usually things look worse before they look better. You will get there.

2. Margaret Sharp October 10, 2012 at 7:29 am #

What a mess! I hope you are getting lots of help!

3. Jac October 10, 2012 at 7:31 am #

I’m enjoying your honesty, and how difficult your reno is at times. Sometimes you feel like “is it only me??!!” You won’t regret going the extra mile. Thanks for the laughs.

4. Emily @ Ask for Roses October 10, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Awesome! So exciting to see what each layer reveals–I know the end will look amazing. I also love that this old building is being restored to its original bones, despite years of “upgrades” with flooring, sheet rock, etc over the brick.

5. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline October 10, 2012 at 8:11 am #

man too bad the tin was nailed in to. Love the brick wall in the back! keep chugging along….it looks great!

6. betty October 10, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Ohhhh, that beautiful tin ceiling :(

7. Elisa @ Fancyfreeme October 10, 2012 at 10:19 am #

So sad to see such a beautiful ceiling covered. What are people thinking?! It’s going to look fabulous when you finish!!

8. Jody October 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

It’s going to look amazing! Good luck :)

9. elaine owens October 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

in a word, inspiring!

10. Bliss October 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Could the bones of this building get any better!!!!

Bliss

11. Michelle October 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

looks fantastic! love the exposed brick – what do you plan to do with the tin ceiling tiles? You guys are doing a great job!

12. Starr @ The Kiefer Cottage October 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Our plaster ceilings were covered with tiles. We pulled down the tiles and have the same boards nailed in. Not sure what we’ll do next, but at least we don’t have a deadline like you! Good luck!

13. Carolyn October 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

My God I want to be there with you and this WONDERFUL treasure hunt you’re on. I would give anything to help you with those ceilings. What a find! I just want to know who the idiot was that nail boards to those tin tiles….. grrrrrrrr. Have you thought of filling the holes with, maybe, caulk? Might be too many of them, but you could do the bigger ones because at that distance the little ones would be too noticeable.

Either that or pull them all down – do a different ceiling and sell all the tin tiles after you’ve redesigned them. With those brick walls, anything is going to look gorgeous up there!

14. Stephanie October 11, 2012 at 6:10 am #

Just like in life, sometimes what we imagine doesn’t work out, but we find something better along the way.

15. Jane October 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Oh, please try to save the tin panels! Even with holes in them from the nailed wood, they are rare, and really popular! I have two of them from an old bank in my home town of Tacoma, Washington. I have them mounted on my walls, using scrabble tiles with magnet backs, and everyone who sees them wants one! Save them, and sell them in the shop, holes and all!

16. Jenny October 12, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Good choice! Where there’s a will there’s a way!

17. Andrea Tarver October 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

I am in the process of opening a flower/gift shop in an old building (built in 1927) that we are renovating. Your journey is so similar to mine! We pulled out ceilings also because the original tin was underneath. The tin was good enough to save though, and it is so beautiful and gives the building such character. I hope you are able to salvage your tin and do something else creative and useful with it! Good luck with everything…I’m enjoying your blog! Nice to know I’m not the only one going through this!! :)