our shop space…before

Well, we’ve taken the plunge and decided on a space (in Troy, Alabama), and we’ve braved the trip to market.

There’s goodness on its way already headed to our house (ahhh! where will we put it??), but in the meantime, we’re about to begin renovations on this place.

Get ready.  These photos are rough.

Perfectly Imperfect | Shop | Alabama

So here’s the outside of our little spot on the square.  Our landlord, Tim, is super helpful and easygoing…he’s having the outside painted and allowing us to pick out the colors (um, yay!).  I’ll be whitewashing the brick a little, and we’ll be adding awnings (eventually). I’m, of course, adding a new sign…and we’ve already been sketching that up.  I’ve been dreaming of striped awnings and a pale gray paint.

We’ll see.

And how about those window spaces??  I’m thrilled to create something artful out of them every month or so.

Okay, here goes.  Scary before…

Perfectly Imperfect | Shop | Alabama

Yep.

It’s big, bigger than we planned.  But for the price and the location–and knowing we needed something big enough for our workshop tables to stay set up.  Clearly, it was a clothing and shoe store, so there’s a lot to clean out, but the potential??

Amazing.

We’re replacing the floor, and of course, painting.  The huge wall on the right will be taken down to the original brick.  The floor will stop somewhere around the second beam back there…and the back will be used for storage and our shipping area.

Perfectly Imperfect | Shop | Alabama

There’s already this great chalkboard inset, so we’ll work with that.  I’m seeing the shop counter in front of this.  We also get to keep/paint all the built ins!!  I’m quite pumped about this, as I didn’t have to buy any display pieces for paint, accessories, etc.

Perfectly Imperfect | Shop | Alabama

Speaking of built-ins, this massive one is staying and will house most of our paint and coordinating lines.  If we can manage, we’re trying to move this huge piece to the back to create a wall to cover our shipping area.  We’ll flank it with drop cloth drapes, I’m thinking.

Anyway, I didn’t want to give too much away (or overwhelm you with scary pictures), but I did want to show you what we’re working with!  It’ll be amazing, I hope!!

Now, if we can only get it all done and open before the holidays.  Whew.

62 Responses to our shop space…before

1. Mary McDaniel September 27, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Go PI Team, Go!

2. Megan September 27, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Congrats!!!

3. Lesley September 27, 2012 at 9:48 am #

these pictures aen’t scary at all. The space looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the final reveal. Congratulations!

• perfectlyimperfect September 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

That makes me happy, Lesley…I think it’ll be great after a little work!

4. Dana {craftedniche} September 27, 2012 at 9:53 am #

SO exciting!!! I just saw these fixtures on Craigslist yesterday… too bad they aren’t closer to you!

• perfectlyimperfect September 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Thanks, Dana! Yeah, it’s a big place to light up–we splurged on one, but we’ll have to get creative in other spots.

• GoldieMN September 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

WOW! I wish I was closer!

5. liz @ designing domesticity September 27, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Wow, this is so exciting. Looks like you’ve found a great space that I am sure you will be making your own. Thanks for sharing the steps along the way. Congrats! liz

6. L September 27, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Congrats!!! SO very exciting!!! Thanks for sharing the journey with us!

7. Jessica Singletary September 27, 2012 at 10:45 am #

CONGRATS!

8. Kristi @ Creative Kristi September 27, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Congrats! How exciting is this for you! I’m sure it will be fabulous when you get it all the way you want it! Good Luck!

9. Aja September 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

It’s AMAZING!! I am so so excited for you guys! Having a little shop is one of my dreams as well, so I love following along and watching you guys do it. I can’t wait to see what you do with the space- I know it will be an amazing transformation!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Thank you, Aja! I think it’s going to be great–can’t wait to get in there and get going!

10. Sondra September 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Thank you for sharing the pictures. The space is amazing and will be so beautiful when you are done with it. I’m so excited for you guys and this new adventure. And I’m looking forward to following along, so please don’t be shy about updating us! :)

11. knack September 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Wow! This is so exciting!! I have been keeping up with all of your posts through email….{love that little tool!} and I am sorry I am just now commenting! What a huge undertaking…..but so exciting and rewarding in the end! Congrats to you! I can’t wait to watch the progress on this space and know it will be Perfectly Imperfect when done!

Did I mention I am super stoked for you?! EEEEEEE!!!!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Thank you, sweet girl!! I need to pick your brain, I’m sure! You know I’ve been following along and am also SO excited by your beautiful studio—we have to catch up soon!

12. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage September 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

It looks like fantastic space and the built-ins and all will work fabulous! Can’t wait to see the reveal!

13. Missi @ havoc to heaven September 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

wow! it’s going to be amazing! love the shoe built-ins – I can totally see your paints stacked up. you have such a great eye – this place will be gorgeous before you know it! May have to take a road trip from the ATL. :)

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Thank you, Missi. What a sweet thing to say! I was most excited about those shoe bookcases. ;-)

14. Janet September 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Hey Shaunna,

Welcome to the world of RETAIL!!!
    I love being a shopkeeper and I know you and Matt will also…much luck!!

Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Thanks, Janet! It’s an undertaking, but it will be a lot of fun!

15. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline September 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

you are going to be busy, busy! but the space looks amazing!! good luck with everything!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:14 am #

I know, Jessica! We will be, but we hope it will all be worth it!

16. Tiffany @ Peanut McKenzie Designs September 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Congrats on your new venture Shaunna. So excited to see your upcoming reveal after all your hard work! Enjoy the journey~ Tiffany @ Peanut.McKenzie.Designs. <

17. Harbormom September 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I’m gonna try to find you a gold lariat, a matching crown, and an invisible plane! (you will have to shop for your own bustier, panties and tights) Because you are totally WONDER WOMAN!!!

Wish I lived close enough to come help you build out your space. What a giant step you are taking. I know it must be a bit daunting for you and your wonderful family, but there are so many of us who have followed your path on this blog, and who are out in the ‘sphere pushing you forward with our positive thoughts.

When you open your franchise in the Birmingham area, I’ll be one of the first to sign up for an ASCP class! You go, Girl!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:18 am #

LOL, Harbormom!!!! Oh my word, Matt and I nearly fell off the bed when we read it this morning! Thank you for the encouraging words–we’re getting excited!

• Kristin September 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Whoa, franchise?? We want {need} a Perfectly Imperfect franchise in Short Pump, VA!

18. Denise September 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Congrats!!!! How exciting !

19. GoldieMN September 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

You are going to love it! Congratulations :)

20. Lisa September 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Oh my, so exciting!! And on the square – just perfect! I can hardly imagine all the work that you are about to pour out into this wonderful spot but I am giddy with excitement to hear and see the progress!

21. Dawn September 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

WOW what a huge space. So much potential and all those storage spaces, you really lucked out with those, you know how expensive they can be. Can’t wait to come see when it is finished!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Thanks, Dawn! It is huge, so I’ll try to take it one step at a time!

22. Kelli @ LittleCottageofMIne September 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

How exciting! I would love to decorate a WHOLE space just for me!!! That’s awesome, a huge congrats!

xo,
    Kelli

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Thank you, Kelli! It’s certainly daunting, but it’ll get done!

23. ColleenwithMurals&More September 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

This is such fun, Shaunna! I’ve had a couple of shops and managed a few others so I know full well the excitement and anxiety ;) . Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

24. SheilaG September 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Ooh, how exciting!!! I’m thinking you should do a call-out to all your bloggy friends to come and help get it ready! That would be FUN!

• perfectlyimperfect September 28, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Now, Sheila, that is a FANTASTIC idea!! Seriously considering it now. ;-)

25. Pauli September 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Congrats!! So excited for you, can’t wait to see it!

26. Amanda September 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

LOTS of potential! congrats! what a dream!

27. Daune | Cottage in the Oaks September 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

It’s going to be amazing! I love it!

28. Connie Nikiforoff Designs September 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I guess I must have missed a blog post…What’s happening with all that merchandise that’s currently there?

Oh man, that’s going to be one gorgeous store! Can’t wait to see what comes next!

29. Jeannie-JB September 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

Oh Shaunna, I’m sooooo happy for you guys. You so deserve it – my money is on ya’ll {you will have it open by the holidays}. I’ve never been to Troy, but the next time I’m in AL (in the spring), you know I’ll be looking you up!

30. Audrey September 28, 2012 at 3:50 am #

We go through Troy on our way to Montgomery to see our friends about twice a year, def will stop and look!! Good luck

31. Selena September 28, 2012 at 5:38 am #

Wowee! I have been following your blog ever since you were on Nate Burkus. I have painted a few pieces because of you. I wish you all the best. You are such an inspiration! I know your place will be spectacular! Can’t wait to follow along on your journey.

32. Delaine Hildreth September 28, 2012 at 5:51 am #

I live in GA, but go to Osark AL often. Can’t wait to stop by your store! Please post address so I can share with all my AL friends. And good luck!

33. Carol Ann September 28, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I’m putting Troy on my “Time to Get Away” list when you’re shop opens!

34. Stephanie September 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I think before photos show the potential of the space. And it looks like your little (ehm, big) spot has a lot of potential. I can’t wait to see what you do over the next few months.

35. JK Reynolds September 28, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

I cannot imagine the ideas that must be just spinning in your mind. That space looks terrific and just loaded with possibilities. I know it’s going to be inspiring :)