on the homeschooling front…

Quite some time ago, I knew I wanted to teach my children.  I had no idea if we would homeschool or send them to public or private schools…I just knew I would teach them.

We want to play a serious role in our children’s education, or more accurately, their learning to learn.

We’ve had a busy month of school starting around here, and you guys were so interested in our curriculum choices, I wanted to give you an update.

Settling into a routine is sometimes simple and some days, challenging.  I remember the same feeling when school began last year.

homeschooling blog | perfectly imperfect

Ava stays home with us some, and it makes concentrated learning for Gray a little more challenging, but I don’t mind that.  A little distraction never hurt anyone.  And truly, it makes for quite a happy home to have them both here learning.  I also love the opportunity to teach him how to lovingly teach her.

homeschooling blog | perfectly imperfect

So far, Grayson says his favorite is math.  We’re using Right Start Mathematics, and I must say, the lessons are fun, simple to plan, and so engaging.  The use of manipulatives & games is key, and I’m convinced it’s the way to learn math.

Maybe I would have hated it less.

It is a strange thing to have so much flexibility in our days, but I find it so refreshing and freeing.

homeschooling blog | perfectly imperfect

For instance, we turned Gray’s 6 year checkup day into a field trip.  We headed over to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival & Blount Park for some turtle sighting and exploring.

homeschooling blog | perfectly imperfect

We even snuck a little reading in while munching on some Chick-Fil-A.  And speaking of reading, the little man is already doing it!! Watching his little mind work reveals the fullness of God to me in a whole new way.

He read his first full book 2 weeks ago, and he’s working on different levels and reading with me in our classical and non-fiction titles.  Love that quirky kid and our time together.

That’s our update.  Life is not perfect (as we all know), and I’ve certainly made it busier, but in the best kind of way.

8 Responses to on the homeschooling front…

1. Meagan September 13, 2012 at 6:51 am #

Thank you for your posts!

I first saw you on The Nate Show and after that, started following your blog. I was happily surprised when I read that you were homeschooling. My son is in preschool and this is my first year homeschooling him. I have no idea what I’m doing. Ha! So, I appreciate your honesty and ideas. I love how you said that you knew you always wanted to teach your children. What a wonderful job we have as parents to be their teachers no matter where they’re schooling. It’s so important.

Thank you, again!

2. elaine owens September 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

I think the way our schools are headed (in my opinion teaching to tests) you are doing a wise and brave thing! keep up the good work on all fronts!

3. Sarita September 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Congrats on homeschooling.

4. SoCalLynn September 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

We just started our 7th year of homeschooling our youngest daughter (8th grade this year!) We have always had the best time together, I hope your experience is the same! (of course there are days that don’t go smoothly, but they don’t if your kids are going to brick and mortar schools either.) Love your blog, now I like it even more!

5. Monica September 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I’ve been following your blog for about 2 years now because I loved all the work you do with refinishing furniture. Now I’m super excited to hear that you are also homeschooling as we have just started to do the same thing with our kids (5yr and 3yr). I look forward to reading more about your schooling adventures as well as home design. Thanks!!

6. Lisa September 27, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

You are going to LOVE Right Start Math. You will be amazed how your children think mathematically. I am continually amazed at what my children learned from Right Start.

Happy homeschooling! :-)

7. Laurie October 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Congratulations on making the wise choice to homeschool! We have homeschooled for 20 years. Some years were good and some not as good, but in the end we are glad we made the choice many years ago. Just because a certain year isn’t going as planned doesn’t mean give up. Search out the Lord’s will for your family every year and when you are at peace with the decision choose to stick with that decision for the entire year.Two of the best things we learned was to cater the curriculum to each child and don’t set up a classroom setting.
    We have three teenagers left at home. When my oldest started kindergarten I never imagined that I would have three in high school at the same time! Sounds scary when I run it through my mind, but it so amazing and fun!
    Hope you are having a blessed day with your wonderful children!