writing room redo reveal!

Two years ago, I began this blog amidst an attic renovation.  Our once forgotten dumping ground (through sweat, money, and more sweat), became a beloved retreat for me, the writing room.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

It looked a little different on the first reveal, but I showed you how it looked last year.  We loved it, but here’s the thing.  It didn’t really function as an office very well.  The little nook didn’t lend itself to major organization and storage…hence, I didn’t use it as much as I’d planned.

It was time for another redo…again.

Here’s how it looks today…

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I’m officially in love.  Is that crazy to say??  IN LOVE.

We made lots of changes, but didn’t really purchase much, so here goes with some details…

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

If you’ll notice the middle before, there’s a door back there.  Yep.  We were upstairs brainstorming with our sweet friends at The Lettered Cottage, talking about how we wanted to keep the daybed but use the room as more of an office…we all thought the plank wall could create the look that the daybed was meant to be there all along.

Everyone except Matt.

I finally talked him into it, and I’m so thankful!  It makes the room, in my humble opinion.  Seeing those rough-hewn, painted planks makes me giggle every time.  More on those this week.  We did have to cut the finials off the daybed we built so it would fit snugly under the pitched ceiling.

Our own little reading nook.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I shopped around the house for more pillows to make the daybed ever so fluffy and welcoming.  I can’t wait to make the time to curl up with a good book up there!

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

This little table I found at a flea market in Florida a couple of weeks ago.  It will serve as the perfect spot for a cup of tea (or a small surface for some pretty things that inspire me).  Isn’t it unique?  The bottle came inside it….has anyone ever seen one of these before??  I absolutely love it, and would love to know more about it!

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

The left side of the room now holds the studio/office.  Matt built our Restoration Hardware look-a-like shelves…and I’m not convinced the treatment is finished just yet.  I’m sitting on it for a while.

Here’s a little secret: these were literally a tree one day, and bookshelves the next.  We’ll share a tutorial for them soon, and some tips on working with (brand-new) wood, too.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I cannot describe how inspiring it is to sit in front of those shelves, filled with things that inspire me–design books, paint samples, brushes, fabric swatches, and collectibles that move me in some way or another.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

Psst….here’s a sneak peek of Annie Sloan’s new fabric line…we’ll be carrying some very soon!

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I kept my faux aluminum letters to keep our Perfectly Imperfect mission at the forefront of my mind.  You’ll also see that we kept the finials we cut off the daybed–this little guy is too cute to throw away!

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I’m so inspired by the sea…shells and sea fans and starfish make subtle appearances throughout the room.  The set of old love letters remind me to pen often and wear my heart on my sleeves.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I hung an old barn door up above the bookshelves to draw the eye upward and to help the white chandelier stand out a bit more.  In case you missed that post…we’re on the lookout for the perfect light now.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

One of my favorite new touches are the brushes hanging on the wall.  They make such a graphic statement–plus, they’re ready and available when I need to start painting.

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

I had to include moments of my family here and there…it’s them that inspire me most.

Speaking of…

home office makeover @ perfectly imperfect

The only items we bought for the makeover were the galvanized sconce and Life is Beauty Full pillow–but here’s a resource list of items that have been there, and items we shopped around the house to bring in.

Resource List

Wall/Ceiling color:  Benjamin Moore White Diamond

Floors:  Lumber Liquidation Center in Montgomery (laminate & discontinued)

Duvet Cover: Target Shabby Chic Collection

Galvanized Sconce: Lowe’s outdoor collection, $24.95

Assorted wire baskets & wooden buckets: various flea markets

Taped oils: from our Mediterranean cruise

Paint for Planks:  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ in Duck Egg, Versailles, & Old White

Paint for Shelves: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco & French Linen

Paint for barn door: Chalk Paint in Duck Egg & Old White

Rug: Ikea Dragor

Linen Storage Boxes: Ikea

Wooden Pencils: I can’t find the exact seller I bought from about a year ago, but here’s a similar Etsy shop

Life is Beauty Full pillow: One King’s Lane

Thanks for checking out our latest redo–we sure had fun creating a space that inspires us.  We’re already up to more projects in the guest bath, so stay tuned for the next makeover!

*linking this post to Tip Junkie, Tips & Tutes @ HomeStoriesA2Z, DIY Showoff Project Parade,

, , , ,

82 Responses to writing room redo reveal!

1. cassie August 7, 2012 at 9:31 am #

it looks amazing! love the nook! :)

• perfectlyimperfect August 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you, Cassie! Yeah, the nook is my fave.

• Nan December 11, 2013 at 7:01 am #

Hi- beautiful writing loft. To answer (I believe) your question opn the small table with the jar in it. It is a very large HOURGLASS. It’s a broken one though ;o) The other bottle with the sand was removed. Love your site, Nan

2. TracieMcOB August 7, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Your writing room looks amazing – but no surprise there. That table is adorable. To me it looks like an hour glass that lost the top half ?!? Ya never know.

• perfectlyimperfect August 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

I know! I’m not sure, but I love the little sucker.

• Jen Y August 12, 2012 at 8:12 am #

That’s what I thought too. I have seen them this big before. I bet half of the glass is missing. It’s still a perfect little table though.

3. Gina August 7, 2012 at 10:11 am #

That is amazing! I love the nook and those planks!!

4. ginger August 7, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Okay this is bizarre because I can’t see the photos! Hmmmm, wonder what that is about. =/

• perfectlyimperfect August 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Hey Ginger…try now. We were having some issues earlier. Thanks for letting us know!

• ginger August 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Yea!! Just checked again!! Love everything about it!! The wall behind the daybed is fabulous. Every detail is perfecto!! ;) Hmmm, I have an attic…… ;)

5. Jessica @ Decor Adventures August 7, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I just love this space. I stare at your photos of it because we have an unfinished attic that I hope to makeover someday soon. I love what you’ve done to it and how you have all kinds of spaces for different tasks and relaxing of course!

Very beautiful!

6. Catherine August 7, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Is it just me but I see no Pics?!

7. Nancy Mueller August 7, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Incredible….I am in love too!!
    such inspiration for my “craft” room….hummmmmm
    Nancy

8. Denise August 7, 2012 at 10:59 am #

I love the new redo, but, I’m wondering what was behind the door that you covered with the planks??? did you close off a door that went to extra storage space? nowhere? ;)

• perfectlyimperfect August 7, 2012 at 11:20 am #

I’ll share that this week, Denise! The planks are removable! :-)

9. Hayden August 7, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I LOVE your pillow on the daybed! So stinking cute!!!

10. Sara August 7, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Why is it that I can’t see any of the pictures??? I’m dying here!!! Help!!

11. Erin @ How to Nest for Less August 7, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Oh my that is GORGEOUS!

12. Jennifer August 7, 2012 at 11:24 am #

oh MY! So beautiful!!

13. northern cottage August 7, 2012 at 11:24 am #

aaaahhhhhhhkkkkkk – absolute gorgeousness! well well done!

14. Marion August 7, 2012 at 11:26 am #

You’re not crazy. I’m not seeing the pics either. There’s not even a box there.

15. Erin August 7, 2012 at 11:29 am #

What a lovely retreat. So inspiring. Love the plank wall the best. Can’t wait to see the details on that!

16. Ruth August 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

I love it!…… I want to move in…. read, peruse, daydream,relax and create…… in my mind that is….. lol

17. Mom in High Heels August 7, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Wow. It’s so beautiful. I loved it when you did the first reveal and I like it even more now. The planks in the nook are so cool! I want to curl up on that daybed and read a book surrounded by all that loveliness.

18. Kimberly from Serendipity. August 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

I’m in love too! Wow! It’s beautiful!

19. Tori @ Recycled Life Interiors August 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Love the redo! Such a better use of the space, giving you lots more room to work. I LOVE the plank wall too. It adds depth and texture to a mostly white space; and extends the texture brought in by the rug, back into the nook. It makes the whole nook feel warm and cozy. Super cute little side table as well. I really like the warm taupe color on the shelves as well. French linen is one of my faves.
    Is there also a green color on the plank wall (sixth board over from the left)? I love the ASCP shades on the planks, yet how the wood also shows through. Glad you won out in the decision to incorporate it. : ) I too love sea elements; would be so inspired in a workspace like this. Beautiful design work, Shaunna!

20. Gina August 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I couldn’t see the pictures using Safari so I switched to Firefox and I can see the pictures. Hope this helps others.

21. Anna@agoodhome August 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

It’s so good!! Love it!

22. Megan Brooke August 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! The colors are so soothing and relaxing and I love the planked wall! Makes me wish I had a little attic office…maybe one day ;) Pinning this and sharing!

23. Kim @ Sand & Sisal August 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! I think anyone would be inspired to write and create in that space!

24. samantha August 7, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I really liked it before but absolutely love it now. A great mix of function and beauty.
    Love, love, love it!

25. Lisa~ August 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

It’s fantastic! I’m so glad you did this. It’s exactly what you needed. Love, love, love it. Lisa~

26. rosann August 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous…I love the cozy feel in certain areas of the room yet so fresh and open as well. Like everyone else I think the plank wall is awesome. I love the pattern the sander left, it really add texture as do the colors. I keep looking at it and see something different everytime.
    You guys are blessed with true talent, keep those creative juices flowing. LOVE IT!

27. Meredith & Gwyneth August 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

We cannot get over this room! We loved it before, but now it’s just too good to be true! We are so happy for you and your new retreat!

xoxo,
    Meredith & Gwyneth

28. Brenda August 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Wow, absolutely gorgeous – I have a serious case of jealousy starting :)

29. Anne August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

So beautiful, I could lose myself in there and not come out for days and days!!!

30. From A Doctor's Wife August 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I don’t think I would ever leave that room. That is something I am going to have to think about for our next house!

31. Heidi @ Decor & More August 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Such a peaceful space, Shaunna! And all your tools and inspiration at your fingertips. :) Perfection.

32. Janean @ how i keep sane August 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Stop it!! This is amazing! No joke. I am super impressed. Your styling skills are fantastic! I found you on Tip Junkie and Im so glad I did! Newest follower..
    xoxo, Janean

33. Cheryl @ Old Chic Boutique August 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Oh my gosh! I absolutely LOVE what you have done with this space!! Beautiful, Beautiful!

34. janet metzger August 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

simply lovely Shaunna!

janet xox
    The Empty Nest

35. Connie Nikiforoff Designs August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Like another reader, I too think the end table with the bottle is a “half” of an hour glass. Look under the top. If it has an small indentation where the bottle would have sat, it’s most likely an hour glass that’s been “adapted”. Possibly the bottle broke and they salvaged it this way.

Even if it’s not an hour glass, you can now call it a “Half hour glass”. LOL!

Love the room!

36. Gloria August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

I would love to book a night in your attic! Ha no really the room is incredible! So, do you think your sweet end table was once a huge hour glass? Looks like the “jar” may be half of what is left of the glass component tha once Heald sand. ….. Then again, maybe I have a wonderful imagination.

37. Sheila August 7, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

I love the room. Light and airy looking for an attic. I can see why you get inspired.

38. Jennifer August 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Absolutely breathtaking…. AMAZING!

39. Megan August 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

What a beautiful space!!

40. Holly August 7, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Hi, i think your bottle just MIGHT be a wasp catcher/trap! Just this past week, I was blog surfing and someone had one very similar to this that they’d bought at Lucketts (the shop where missmustardseed sells her goods at. (although i dont think it was missmustardseeds blog that i saw this on, but maybe.) When the lady asked what this bottle was, she said a wasp catcher/trap is what she was told. She did say she wasnt quite sure if that’s what it really was though or not. Today, when i saw your post, curiosity got the best of me and I went and did a google image search of wasp catchers/traps. Images of wasp catchers/traps did come up and they surely are very similar to your bottle. There was no pictures of your exact bottle though and the images on google appeared to be smaller than your bottle. I hope this helps… I have never commented on your blog before but have been stopping by for a year or so. Keep up the good work, i love seeing what you and others in blogland are doing! :)

41. Baileywife August 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

One word Shaunna……..WOW!…ok I lied, one more word……..JEALOUS!
    ~Kim

42. Sandra August 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

AMAZING….I love the new look. So inspiring. I can’t wait to see your tutorial on the shelves.

43. Shan@FamilyBringsJoy August 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

This is a phenomenal masterpiece! Once again I am blown away by your awesomeness! Just incredible. Not sure I would EVER want to leave this room. It is soothing, calming and relaxing. Congratulations! Should be in magazines and TV shows! :D The blog is looking pretty fantastic as well! Ta ta to my talented Southern friend.

44. Rhonda August 8, 2012 at 5:22 am #

That is such a beautiful space – the before and after! Those shelves are amazing – where did you find that man of yours?!

45. Samantha Angela August 8, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Gorgeous!

46. Kelly Barry August 8, 2012 at 8:43 am #

So calm and serene! I great place to create and think! lovely!!

47. Carmella August 8, 2012 at 8:57 am #

IN LOVE right along with you! This is beautiful…stunning seems to be a more accurate word! GREAT job!!

48. jbsvintage August 8, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Loved it the first time and love it even more this time! I pinned your sea fan picture into my “things I want to do at Gulf Shores” board! Love your blog. Glad your feeling better.

49. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles August 8, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Honestly, I didn’t think you could make it any better, but it’s gorgeous! I love the shelves- the color is a nice warm touch to all the pretty whites and pastels.

• Debbie Mainiero August 8, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Every time I see that desk and chair, it says to me, ”THE QUEEN SITS HERE!”

50. Katy August 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I am calling this your “no time to lose. Life is beauty full.” Room. Love the table with the unique bottle. Great find.

51. kristin August 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

It’s just gorgeous and more functional for you!!! I loved it before and love it just the same now, exp those planks. Sorry I have been MIA, summer, kids, you know the drill. Hope you are having a fabulous week
    XO
    Kristin

52. Bliss August 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Lots to love about that room, but it was the wood wall I had to pin.

~Bliss~

53. craftyjules August 9, 2012 at 6:48 am #

Amazing! My husband and I have been dreaming of doing something like this. Hopefully someday!

I am thinking that table is a broken hourglass also. Beautiful!

54. Mickey August 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

another great project! but, what did you do with the hot water heater??? I hope to be ordering some ASCP from you real soon! thanks for sharing all your great stuff! peace

• perfectlyimperfect August 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

haha, we had the wall built around it (and moved it back slightly), Mickey. The original redo was 2 years ago, and we had to move it and our ac units! Big mess, but totally worth it in the end! :-)

55. Carrie ~ The Corson Cottage August 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Amazing redo! So inspiring as always. Oh I can not wait until our renovation is to the point of painting & decorating….so many things to be inspired by here on your blog. I so want a reading nook somewhere in our home…& a studio space…ahhh big sigh…can’t wait!

56. Kristie August 11, 2012 at 5:13 am #

Beautiful job, you both are so creative! I love how warm the space still is – but so functional and serves so many purposes. Gorgeous!!

57. Roeshel August 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Beautiful inspiring place to be creative! I love every detail and all of your organizational solutions. Stunning reveal!

58. Three Chicks & One Egg August 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Such a beautiful space! I loved it before, but I love all the changes you have made. I’ve been thinking about making one of the Restoration Hardware shelves and this has given me even more inspiration! Is the paint used on the walls the same as was used on the paneling in your dining room? We have paneling in our basement that needs to be painted and I want something that is going to brighten and be warm at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing!

59. Terri August 12, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Love it all! Makes me want to change my whole house! What colors are your desk painted? Do I see a hint of blue?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Terri

60. Chrissy Floyd August 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Absolutely amazing! I love the plank wall behind the daybed & those shelves are awesome. Very inspiring!

61. Jenni August 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Wish my attic had space like this to sport a new office! I love how inspiring odd shaped spaces can be.

62. Bethany August 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

So light and airy and gorgeous and beautiful!!!

63. Bethany August 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Love it!! It’s so light and clean looking. It feels inspiring and relaxing at the same time.

64. Miss Charming August 15, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Such a charming and beautfiul space! I love all the details you brought in to personalize the room. (Crazy for the planks, too–they make the room!) Wonderful job, Shaunna!

65. Karen Calvert August 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Hi. Just found your blog though read your book and still enjoy daily. Where did you find that gorgeous desk? Thanks.

66. Annie Kip August 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

OH my goodness! I LOVE love LOVE your attic! I want to do the same thing – did you raise the ceiling or does it just look that way? Did you add the skylight? I am so impressed!!! I will be putting your blog into my favorites and check in regularly – thanks!!!

67. Lisa Goulet May 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Love how this turned out and I’m especially in love with the shelving. It’s perfect in the space!

68. Brittani July 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

We are thinking about doing something like this to our attic as well! I love this! How exactly do you get up there?

69. Robyn July 15, 2013 at 9:43 am #

What a stunning home office/writing space. The neutral theme looks very calming =)

70. Isabel October 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

WOW! I’m also in love of your attic! That gives me ideas to dream!

71. Cathy Marquardt December 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

I just wanted to let your readers know that if they are looking for a similar flooring, ,they could try “Boathouse Pine” by Pergo…it is a laminate similar to this which I used in my laundry room…my flooring has a bit more of a wood look coming through, but also has the whitewashed look. Your completed project is beautiful! hugs, cathy