family photos

If you’ve ever had your family photos taken with little ones in tow, you know what a feat it is.

We know the same.

It’s why I’m going to show you way too many of ours.

perfectly imperfect

It was hard work to get these, baby.

Because as I’m sure Lauren (our brilliant best friend/amazing photographer) would agree, we got one good snap for every 10 crazies.

perfectly imperfect

But then we’d get a great one.

perfectly imperfect

And we’d get another crazy.

perfectly imperfect

Let me tell you something:  you learn a lot about yourself on picture day.

I went into it thinking it would be all loosey-goosey fun, and really, all I did between every great shot was grit my teeth and discipline children.

Oh yeah, totally cool mama.

perfectly imperfect

There were plenty of fun moments.

perfectly imperfect

And definitely lots of sweet moments.

perfectly imperfect

I know I’ll cherish every one of them for years to come.

perfectly imperfect

And wonder silently why Matt was the only one not wearing Toms.

perfectly imperfect

I feel just a bit lighter when I see this one.  Unabashed laughter.  Complete joy.

perfectly imperfect

I feel a bit regretful when I see this one…did I have to do a mini-squat just because the kids jumped??

10 crazies : 1 good

perfectly imperfect

I’ve never loved my boy more.

Or my french chair.

perfectly imperfect

And the girl actually wore a bow for a couple of hours.

perfectly imperfect

Having your photos taken soon with the tiny tots?

Wear one outfit, don’t go during nap time, take a bottle of water & fruit snacks for munching.

Don’t expect a miracle.  Relax.

Buy the fourth pair of Toms.

Tickle them & good things will happen.

Nix the mini-squat.

Hire/adore/thank/beg an understanding photographer–they won’t walk out on you when you grind your teeth for the 54th time.

Find a sign that says, “Love St” and you’ve got photography gold.

And don’t convince yourself you’ll all be loosey-goosey.

37 Responses to family photos

1. gina January 30, 2012 at 6:07 am #

All of the pictures are awesome! Especially the “Love St” pix. My children are grown and we have very few pictures of all 4 of us……what a treasure these will be for you.

• perfectlyimperfect January 30, 2012 at 7:33 am #

Thanks Gina! Know what you mean–hard to make it happen.

2. Katie @ Wildwood Creek January 30, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Beautiful photos! And I LOVE your French chair as a prop in the outdoors!

• perfectlyimperfect January 30, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Thank you, Katie! I thought it would be fun–we didn’t use it as much as I’d thought, but there I go again with not being loosey-goosey.

3. Karla January 30, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Your photos are beautiful. My favorite has got to be the last one though. Picture perfect. You have an amazing smile. Gorgeous children and precious family. :)

4. Lindsay January 30, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Oh these are so sweet! I love the one where yr adorable son is sitting on your back!

5. Tawn January 30, 2012 at 6:42 am #

These are such beautiful memories being made. Oh, how I wish that family photos were made this way when my boys were little. We lost our younger son 8 1/2 years ago at the age of 20, and how I would love to have the memories captured this way.

But after 37 years of marriage, we still reside on our “Love St.”.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with us.

• perfectlyimperfect January 30, 2012 at 7:36 am #

Tawn, thank you for sharing that–I am so very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you today. And so thankful you have your own Love St.

6. Carlene Blair January 30, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Beautiful family!

7. Myra @ My Blessed Life January 30, 2012 at 7:25 am #

I love, love, love this post! The whole grit my teeth and discipline children sounds just…JUST like me. Seriously. LOL! Great photos, girl! xoxo

• perfectlyimperfect January 30, 2012 at 7:37 am #

LOL, I’m glad I’m not alone! I hope you’re feeling oh so wonderful these days!!
      xoxo,

8. Kathleen January 30, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Those are precious. I grew up a photographers daughter, it seems I’m the only child in the world who always posed and loved to have their picture taken. You and your family are beautiful.

9. Natalie Johnson January 30, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Ahhh… love those shots! The photographer is upstairs right now trying to get a few of my 5 day old granddaughter. From the sounds of it, she isn’t having much luck! Hope my daughter isn’t stressing too much… – but I doubt it. Thanks for the lovely look at your precious family!

10. Nancy@Life: Designed January 30, 2012 at 10:44 am #

What a beautiful family! Great photos!! I love the locations!

11. Emily January 30, 2012 at 11:14 am #

those turned out beautifully! With precious pictures like these, you must have done something right :-)

12. Kerri (a simple princess) January 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

beautiful family!! i absolutely adore the last pic at “love st.”
    great tips too!!

13. Maria @ Craft Crazy Mom January 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Your photos are adorable! I love the look on Grayson’s face when you and the hubby are about to kiss :) Thanks for the tips, hopefully my little one will start cooperating!

14. Cathy January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

LOVE all the pictures! We have never had a family picture and my kids are 17 and 20!

Cathy

15. Kacey January 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

CUTE photos. I think they turned out perfectly.

I love and dread family photos for this reason! I need to just relax and enjoy it, but oh. Two little boys and an uptight mama? Not so much fun. But the memories are so worth it.

16. Jeannie-JB January 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Great photographs – wonderful subjects, your family glows because the love shows through. Gritting teeth and discipline? Just part of being a good Mom. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

17. susan January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

shaunna, your family is just beautiful. these photos are precious. how i wish we’d not waited so long to do the same. those tiny tot days are behind us. susan

18. Nancy Wieler January 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Gorgeous shots…truly…you will be forever grateful you have them! I don’t care but am going to ask a stupid question “Toms” are….the shoes yes, but forgive me, never heard of them! They look comfy and these days that is what I go for.

19. Elisabeth January 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Beautiful shots! I know exactly what you mean about it stressful getting family pictures of the kids. You definitely do a lot of clenched smiles. lol Things have not completely improved now that my kids are older either. :)

On the other hand, I have a friend that when they want a family picture all of the kids cooperate and they’re done in minutes.

At least it only happens once a year at most.

20. Colleen January 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

I absolutely LOVE that last one! So great :) I agree completely with your advice lol- so true! And I found myself asking the same questiong about the TOMS! haha but then I thought, well maybe her hubby is like mine and wouldn’t wear them?
    Super cute family!
    God Bless!
    (Colleen)@PaRtY of 5!

21. kelly January 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

love the ones with love st. !! so cute!! my kids are older and it is still 10/1! we have to make my 19 year old laugh to get him to smile! the candid ones in between shots are always my favorite though!

22. Charlene Austin January 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Your kids are soooo cute! I don’t know how to explain it but I always think they have a 70′s vibe/look about them. Maybe it’s because they just look so wholesome. Great pics. You are a gorgeous family!

23. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home January 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

LOVE the Love Street sign!! How perfect!! Really cute pics!!

24. Melinda Martin January 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I don’t think your son wants you to kiss in that last photo!

25. Tyla January 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Sooo sweet!!! I always stress during family picture time, especially when I am the one taking the pictures. Again, greats pics.!

26. Gina January 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Beautiful pictures! Especially love the expression on Grayson’s face on the last picture when you are about to kiss-that would totally be my son(who is also 5).

27. Lana February 1, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Great photos. what a beautiful family. Family photos have come a long way since my boys were young.
    All our photos are in a studio and boring, I really love the outdoor natural photos, they are a treasure.

28. Brooke Brown February 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Oh, Shaunna, I miss you! I adore family photos and these are absolute treasures! Thanks for sharing!

29. Jen Missner February 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

You got some great shots! I know it is hard, but you will treasure those pictures forever and your kids are adorable! I also have a picture where one of my kids looks “over it”, but I treasure it because that is just his personality. True story, when I went to Glamour Shots to get my boys pictures taken, they actually wrote “bad kids” on the client info form… so hey you may not have it so bad with your two adorable kids… they look very happy and well behaved.

30. Alicia August 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Hello, I am an aspiring photographer. I mainly do nature and landscapes, bugs, etc but I want to try to capture memories for friends and family to love and cherish. Thank you so for your blog. I see I will have so work and fun ahead and I hope to get great photos like your friend did! They are great and beautiful photos.