My Dad and A Kitchen Update: Open Shelving

Here’s the funny thing.
You write about telling your story, and it seems as though my mind and heart were preparing for sharing another chapter.
In short, because I just can’t communicate clearly right now…my dad is in the hospital right now.  He came in thinking he was having another heart attack, but it turned out to be internal bleeding.  Last night it seemed as though the bleeding had stopped, so that was a good thing.
Today, though, some complications have arisen.  Basically his heart is being affected by all the trauma to his body and blood levels.  We are waiting to see how things even out after medications, and possible transfusions.
If you would send some prayers our way, man, that would be incredible.  I’m so thankful for some of the good reports, but there are just so many complications.  I’m hopeful, and faith-full, but you know, a girl’s still scared to watch her dad go through all of this.
Because I need a distraction, and because I am soooo pleased with how they turned out, I wanted to show you my little kitchen update.
I decided to get to work the day after I got back from Blissdom.
Am I unpacked?
Nooooo.
I’ve been dying to change up the kitchen, to make it feel more cottage and more custom.  Knowing that it’s getting a fresh wash of white soon, I knew it was time to break up the wall of white cabinetry.
So on Saturday night, when I should have been unpacking, I began taking cabinet doors down.
Before….
After…
Is it just me or do ya hear angels singing?
I LOVE it like I love freshly-baked bread.
I mean, long sweaty hours of cardio-so I can eat it-love it.

It was all a matter of organization.  And eliminating excess.
The bottom cabinets now house a lot of the not-so-cute essentials.  The beauty of a kitchen, though, is art is in the functionality.
The shapes, color, and textures in your dishes, cookware, and tools are all you need for decor.  Throw in some lovely fabrics and you’re good to go.

I stuck to a mostly white and silver metallic palette to keep it clean, but threw in the aqua and a touch of green I’ve introduced into our kitchen.

The baskets are holding some of the “blah,” like plastic cups and some measuring bowls.
(Baskets, Byholma collection, Ikea)

I really love being able to see our everyday items within arm’s reach.  It just feels right.

The only purchase was this set of three vintage Pyrex bowls for $18.  Got ‘em with my girls in Nashville. I’m on the hunt for the sister bowls (tee, hee) that are aqua with white etching.  I’m coming for yours, Ashley.

Everything else was already owned.  It just all relevant now, available, celebrated.
For lack of a better word, it’s pretty.

And it’s tying in beautifully with the other changes we’ve gradually made to take our kitchen from commonplace to cottage….the painted door still makes my morning.
There you have it.
Open shelving and some life stuff.
I’m not gonna lie, pretty much anything you had to say would make me breath easier.
Hope y’all such a wonderful Monday!
I’ll be in touch as soon as I can…

76 Responses to My Dad and A Kitchen Update: Open Shelving

1. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper January 31, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

you and your dad are in my thoughts and prayers. keep us posted, please.

2. Samantha January 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Praying for your family Shaunna. I hope everything goes well and keep us posted!

3. Blessed Mommy of 2 January 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

Shaunna, Prayers for your dad are going up. And for you 2! It can be so stressful when our loved ones are hurting in any way.

4. Denise January 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

I absolutely LOVE it. This is what I want to do in my dining room. I want to build it to look like built-in's, as in an old home, and display finery.

5. gina January 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Saying prayers. Love the way your kitchen looks!! I have a wall of cabinets that I'd love to do that to!

6. QueenLondonsCarriage January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

I'm so sorry to read about your Father. BUT, I love the open shelving!!!! I wish I had enough cabinets to do the same….I'll just keep on wishing!!!

7. Comeca Jones January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

I love it that was your best idea yet!Hope your Dad is feelin better soon.Ive sent up a prayer.My Granma always says when praises go up Blessings come down.

8. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style January 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

Shaunna, that looks so good. If I had a long wall of cabinets I would do the same thing.

9. Cha Cha January 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

My heart aches for you over your father, I will be praying. The unknown is so hard, I will be praying….

10. Dori January 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

Your kitchen looks great. Love that door. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad.

11. Jaclyn Hicks January 31, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

Praying for your Dad…and your family. We never want to see the strong men in our lives hurting like that, know you are thought of and prayed for.

12. Erin @ Two Story Cottage January 31, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

You & your family are in my prayers!!

13. Kait January 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm #

What an awesome transformation! I love that it's everyday items that happen to be beautiful! Also, great job with the different textures & pops of color!

14. Brittany January 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

Amazing how it opens up your kitchen. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

15. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) January 31, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Sending prayers for your father, and for his family. Take care of yourselves.

16. Miranda January 31, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

Wow, that is an amazing and striking change. It all looks so fabulous!
    I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

17. ChRiS January 31, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

hope your father gets stronger eveyday…you and your loved ones are in my prayers….and LOVING the cabinets talk about a total different look….WOW

18. michelle January 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Hi Shaunna, first all of I am praying that your dad heals quickly and there are no more complications. I can't imagine what you are feeling now, I am big time daddy's girl and the thought just makes me cry. Second I love what you did! I have a few open cupboards as well and love them! I adore your rattan plates and all your treasures! It looks and feels very cottagy and so very pretty! :)

19. A Vintage Vine January 31, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

I will be praying for your whole family! On a lighter note….love the new look in the kitchen!

20. Willo January 31, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

Yup, I LOVE it! And you totally have me thinking about what I can do here.

21. Abby January 31, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

I pray for peace, wisdom and understanding for you and your family and I pray for God's healing touch for your daddy. You are all being covered with prayers of petitions and blessings.

22. Susan @ myhomeroad.blogspot.com January 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

Wow! That looks amazing! I love it! Hope all goes well with your Dad!

23. Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek January 31, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

It looks great!

24. Gina @ Temporary Nest February 1, 2011 at 12:14 am #

Oh what terrible news! Your family will surely be in my thoughts. But i am in love with your kitchen. Do you have any plans for your cabinet doors? <3

25. { The Painted Home } February 1, 2011 at 12:24 am #

yes, i hear the angels singing! Bravo!

26. freckled laundry February 1, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Keeping your father and your family in my prayers, Shaunna. Sorry that you all are going through this! Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you, okay? LOVE the kitchen change. It's amazing what a little tweak here and there can do. Removing those cab doors & adding the aqua pantry door gave your kitchen the wow factor (not that it wasn't wow before…now it's WOW WOW)! I'll be tackling some tweaks in our kitchen at the end of the month and will remove one of the cabinet doors. It's a tiny lil' thing of a kitchen so I think it will help. Also going to build some storage on top for some pretty baskets. Anyhow, LOVE your kitchen. When things settle, would you mind sharing where you got your pretty little canisters? (The three holding flour, sugar, etc.) Cute!!!

27. Simply A Farmer's Wife February 1, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Sending you lots of love and prayers for you and your dad! The cabinets look absolutely amazing! I'd love to do something like this in our kitchen but I could never keep it organized. :) You never cease to amaze me!

28. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. February 1, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Sending prayers to your family. And loving the open fresh feel in your kitchen.

29. Amy Kinser February 1, 2011 at 1:33 am #

So sorry that your dad is going through this right now. Just prayed for him…

30. Mel February 1, 2011 at 1:43 am #

Wishing your dad a quick and complete recovery.

31. mamax4 February 1, 2011 at 1:43 am #

Praying for you and your dad… and the angels that were singing in your kitchen (yes, I heard them, too), have been directed to sit closely with your family and bring you peace :)

32. Melissa at HOUSEography February 1, 2011 at 2:04 am #

So sorry about your dad. Hopefully he is improving tonight. Your kitchen though looks really awesome!!!

33. Lisa February 1, 2011 at 2:08 am #

Keeping your family and especially your dad in my prayers tonight….so glad you have a diversion in your blog. Your open shelving looks gorgeous!

34. Joan's Good Life February 1, 2011 at 2:11 am #

I am so jealous! It's wonderfully, beautiful and perfectly, you!

35. Ellie February 1, 2011 at 2:25 am #

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the open shelving. Blessings to you and your dad.

36. Shirley February 1, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Keeping your Dad in my prayers, so sorry this is happening :(

37. Susan February 1, 2011 at 2:31 am #

Praying for your Dad, you and your family.

38. Claire February 1, 2011 at 3:08 am #

I did this recently in my kitchen and I love it. Aside from being fun to look at and different for a change, it makes it really quick and easy to get your things.

39. Allison February 1, 2011 at 3:17 am #

I'm keeping your Dad, you and your family in my prayers. Your kitchen looks fabulous and love the aqua touches…especially the door.

40. Crisp Interiors February 1, 2011 at 4:15 am #

Prayed for you and your dad tonight!

41. Ashley @ pure + lovely February 1, 2011 at 4:24 am #

I'm kind of impressed that you got a post up with all you've had going on! Of course it's perfect…can't wait to tackle mine… And soooo glad ur dad is doing okay. Praying for you guys. Oh, and you can't have the Pyrex! Muahahaha!

42. Dear Lillie February 1, 2011 at 5:23 am #

It looks fabulous and I will definitely be praying for your dad!

43. Joshua and Mallory February 1, 2011 at 6:29 am #

Praying for your dad and for wisdom for the doctors!

44. Tiffini February 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

praying God's hands wrapping around your dad and family. a grace covering .. a time of drawing near to one another in comfort.

45. Kelly February 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

Beautiful!!

46. Red Door Home February 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

My first time visiting – so sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers to you and your family during this very difficult time. I love the look of your open shelving. With such pretty kitchen things it does seem a shame to hide them behind doors. I had to smile as I have the same set of bubble glasses.

47. Kiera February 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Just said a prayer for your dad and your whole family! I will definitely keep praying. Keep us updated. Love you girl and Absolutely LOVE your cabinets!! Beautiful and I know that makes you smile everytime you walk in the room! :)

48. A Cottage Muse February 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Keeping you close in thoughts and prayers.

49. Myra @ My Blessed Life February 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Oh Shaunna! I'm praying for your dad. Keep us posted girl!

50. queenbee1994 February 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Sending thoughts and prayers your way for your dad's recovery.

51. Shannon February 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Prayed and will pray some more. Love the open shelves…we just did the same with one door. So much nicer. Hugs.

52. SheilaG February 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Thanks for the update on your dad. It's always so hard to see a parent suffering. I'm praying that God will express Himself as Jehovah Rapha (the One who heals) in your dad's situation. I'm reminded of your offer to pray for your friends on here, and I know God will multiply those prayers back to you.

53. Elz February 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Gorgeous change, I wonder if it would work in my home? Best wishes & prayers for your father.

54. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here February 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Shaunna, I hope today brings your father closer to recovery. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Your open cabinets are fabulous! What a difference this makes in the kitchen. I love them.

55. Traci@ Beneath My Heart February 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

I am praying for your precious Father. I know how it feels to worry about them. May the Lord give you all only the peace that He can give.

56. Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop February 1, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Wishing your father all the best…..and yes I do hear angels singing…that makeover is simply heavenly!!!!!!!!!! We just did our kitchen too and I can not stay out of it!!! Take care,glad I found your blog! Chrissy

57. Lettered Cottage February 1, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Girl, you know I'm over here prayin' for you and your family. I just hate that your Dad has to go through this, and I can't wait to give you a squeeze on Thursday afternoon!

58. Susan February 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Prayers for your Dad. So difficult to watch parents go through things like this.

59. LisaReier February 2, 2011 at 3:10 am #

Great look! love the open shelves & your blog.

60. Daggie's Cedarchest February 2, 2011 at 4:25 am #

Love it – good job. Sending prayers your Dad's way–hope it all works out.

61. Kacey February 2, 2011 at 4:26 am #

Prayers for your dad (and your family). Thinking of you!

62. Daggie's Cedarchest February 2, 2011 at 4:26 am #

I meant Corning ware – yikes.

63. Peyton February 2, 2011 at 7:02 am #

I love the open cabinets and love the things in them. The chargers at the top are my favorite.

64. Michelle February 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Sorry to hear about your dad – prayers for you and your family.

65. Michelle February 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Hi again Shauna – this one is a lot cheaper – you really need to search through the listings – as prices can be all over the place!

66. Chris February 3, 2011 at 4:44 am #

I want you to know that I already said a prayer for your dad. I will continue to say more. I'll e-mail you, too. I didn't know he was going through this.

67. Cortney February 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Praying for your dad! You cabinets looks so pretty! I'm a new follower

68. Cindy February 8, 2011 at 12:36 am #

saying prayers for your dad….

69. Sommer February 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

My thoughts about a blog post don’t usually slip out but the first photo I found myself loudly saying “ohhhhhh!” and my husband asks “what is it?” lol. Absolutely STUNNING!

I’ll be keeping your father and yourself in my thoughts.

70. Lois February 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

Love the open shelving. I’ve pulled this picture as inspiration for my own kitchen update! Hope your Dad is ok and gets better really soon!

71. Hedi March 24, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Just beautiful!

I hope you don´t mind, I linked back to you from my blog DesignChic.org.

regards,
    Hedi

72. 1916home.net May 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

I hope your dad is doing better! I’ll have to keep updated on your blog.

BTW, where did hide everything ?? :)

73. Janae July 1, 2011 at 6:26 am #

LOVE the open shelving! Getting ready to do something similar in my kitchen!

74. flea market trixie November 9, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Wish your dad and you all the best.
    Love the kitchen cabinets!

75. Krystal July 17, 2013 at 7:42 am #

I love it alllll!!! Do you happen to have a close color match for your wall color? It’s a great color with all your accents :-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 31 Days of Kitchen Inspiration Day 10: Open Shelving in Kitchens | Treasuring the Moments - October 10, 2011

[...] Perfectly Imperfect and you can see the before picture of Shaunna’s cabinets with the doors still [...]